New drive (BH16NS55), seems used

vbimport

Question is indirectly related to the capabilities of this drive.

I purchased this a week ago. I inspected the contents of the box (retail) and found the plastic shell of the drive heavily scratched, as if some folk scrubbed it on a table or something - you know, like when a disk falls to the floor and you inevitably scratch it when you pick it up.

There’s also fingerprints, specially visible on the wide black sticker that covers the rear. It’s clear someone has manipulated this drive, but I have no means to know if this is from the factory or someone else has really used this drive before.

Given that these come in open bags and boxes that aren’t sealed… too many hands along the way, I don’t know. The sticker says it was produced in mid July of this year, almost half a year now.

What do I do with this, do you folks have experience? The first BD drive I purchased came in similar condition and stopped reading within a year.

I wonder if it should have come with the plastic film covering the front, a sticker on the box preventing its tampering or similar.

From which store are you getting the drives?

There’s not a way for end users to see the amount of time the drive’s been used over its lifetime, and it’s hard to say why the inner packaging is the way it is.

Damn. It’s from computeruniverse, a german online store. I have been watching unboxing videos of this drive and the NS40 and not one of them shows scratching whatsoever.

I can easily return it, but the question is whether this is their factory condition or not. It wouldn’t make sense in the former… although I would be surprised if it were.

In general, I’m of the thought that nothing should be scratched up or torn, so you’re not wrong for being concerned.

Do you think going for a drive from a different manufacturer (likely Pioneer) is a viable option? That way you can see if it’s the store or the manufacturer’s facilities which did this.

My policy is - if in any doubt return it.

From what you describe it sounds like at the very least someone has handled the drive. (In the factory they will have been wearing gloves, so no fingerprints.) In my experience new drives always feel & smell new. You may have been sent a drive returned by someone else. If so, you have no way of knowing why it was returned. Was it faulty?

Under EU consumer legislation, you shouldn’t have to pay for the return postage cost as you are returning it because it is not as described. And it is up to the vendor to prove that the goods were fault free & as described.

Good luck.

P.S.
Welcome to the forum.

[QUOTE=Albert;2784704]Do you think going for a drive from a different manufacturer (likely Pioneer) is a viable option? That way you can see if it’s the store or the manufacturer’s facilities which did this.[/QUOTE]

Yes, absolutely. I was considering it. I have doubts BD is going to last long on computers, and I was looking for something durable. I liked the looks of the LG too much :stuck_out_tongue:

In defense of the store, the first drive that I purchased, a Samsung, was from Amazon UK - not this german website, from which I have bought a lot of hardware in the past and this is the first strange thing.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2784710]My policy is - if in any doubt return it.

In my experience new drives always feel & smell new. You may have been sent a drive returned by someone else. If so, you have no way of knowing why it was returned. Was it faulty?[/QUOTE]

I think the same way - I have dealt with the aforementioned Amazon more times than I would have expected for this same reason for different products. I have contacted the store, see their point of view.

I will probably be returning it; I guess my best bet is to wait for an upcoming release of a new model and place a preorder.

You might be waiting a very long time, new models don’t come around so often these days.

If you need a Blu-ray drive I’d order a Pioneer 209E (or another LG if you prefer) and see how it looks, feels & smells.

(Does anyone know if Pioneer seal their retail boxes?)

As far as I know they don’t. You can see a lot of unboxing videos from a handful of brands and it seems like a general rule - maybe just so a store that is in a hurry could take a drive out of the box and sell it bulk, I don’t know.

I’m in the process of returning it, since the store has not given me any answer. I took some time to inspect the drive more carefully, here is an album. I [B]have not[/B] touched the drive with my bare hands, this is the primal condition. Aside from the scratches and the fingerprints (there are some quite visible in the album), it looks fine overall.

Difficult to judge from photos, but I can see why you’re concerned. The plastic bags looks excessively crumpled. (Plastic bags are actually quite a good clue in my experience.)

New drives often have fine scratches on the rear plastic panel. But I would be concerned to see any deeper scratches, especially if they look fresh and light coloured - like the scratch on the front bezel next to the eject button.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2784783]The plastic bags looks excessively crumpled. (Plastic bags are actually quite a good clue in my experience.)[/QUOTE]

Ah, I didn’t think about that, may be a sign. That was the first time I took the drive out of the bag.

Those scratches don’t bother me at all - and the front just had a scratch here and there. It was all those fingerprints that raised a red flag; there are a lot, some of them are visible in the pictures.

Honest I’m trying not to sound nitpicky, lol. It just makes me wonder if this has been used or is a return. As I said before I get the feeling drives won’t be around for long, and I planned this desktop setup for games and movies. (I wonder what’s going to happen to physical media - specially BD - once all readers are removed from the market)

Definitely a used drive. If I were you I would return it right away. Was the drive still sealed in the plastic bag when you received it? New drives should be sealed in the bag with a plastic tape or something. And different drive manufactures seem to wrap the bag in a different way. Notice that the picture shows Plextor’s way of wrapping the 760A drive (which I recently purchased), the tip of the triangle was sealed with a transparent tape, indicating a new, factory sealed, never opened drive. Next time when you purchase something, I suggest you pay attention to this.

I concur with [B]Ibex[/B] about the bags looking excessively crumpled and with [B]sanyolc[/B] on the device being taped in the bag. In photo 7 that scratch shouldn’t be there.

Also, the bag looks like it is made from high density polyethylene whereas all the bags I have seen my devices arrive in were made with low density polyethylene. I notice these things because I used to make the blown film in my younger days. You bag will sound crunchy when your squash it. The low density backs have a soft feel and are about 3 time thicker than the high density ones. Your bag also looks like it is bigger than it should be. Compare it to the bag in the image [B]sanyolc[/B] provided.

FYI, the low density bags are about 35 to 40 microns thick. High density bags are usually 15 to 18 microns thick, well they were when I was making them. :smiley:

Send it back. :iagree:

[QUOTE=sanyolc;2784890]Was the drive still sealed in the plastic bag when you received it? New drives should be sealed in the bag with a plastic tape or something.[/QUOTE]

Take a look at the pictures I took. I stated that’s just the condition the product was in when I received it.

Notice that the picture shows Plextor’s way of wrapping the 760A drive (which I recently purchased), the tip of the triangle was sealed with a transparent tape, indicating a new, factory sealed, never opened drive. Next time when you purchase something, I suggest you pay attention to this.
Given that’s not a LG drive I don’t think it serves a purpose. Specially if you look for rather accurate information, like unboxing videos of LG drives.

[QUOTE=biggles77;2784896]I concur with [B]Ibex[/B] about the bags looking excessively crumpled and with [B]sanyolc[/B] on the device being taped in the bag. In photo 7 that scratch shouldn’t be there.

Your bag also looks like it is bigger than it should be. Compare it to the bag in the image [B]sanyolc[/B] provided.[/QUOTE]

These are some of the videos I watched after seeing the accessories bag was sealed but the drive wasn’t. It looks like LG ships all their drives the same way - unsealed box and unsealed drive, no tape or sticker. It also looks to be the norm for Pioneer and ASUS.

I returned it, but I have purchased the same model from another store so I’ll update when I receive it.

Double post

Second one arrived (same model). Everything is the same except the padding, which is now made of plastic foam instead of recycled cardboard. This drive is dated September 2016, newer than the previous.

The box is unsealed, the accessories bag sealed, and the drive… surprise, unsealed, with fingerprints. Everything is exactly the same as the previous one. I’m starting to think the first drive was fine after all.

I asked the LG customer service (don’t shoot me, just trying to gather all the info possible), but I’m keeping this one. Both drives were purchased [B]brand new directly from two giant retailers[/B] - and this model is the best selling product of their category on both, so I think it’s nearly impossible I flipped a bad card twice.

Alright. If that’s how it seems, then enjoy your new drive. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

[QUOTE=Albert;2785159]Alright. If that’s how it seems, then enjoy your new drive. :)[/QUOTE]
Ditto. Your information could be useful in the future. :flower:

Shame the packers in the factory don’t wear gloves. But I would have done the same and sent back the first drive - better to be safe than sorry. (Learnt that the hard way many years ago.)

Yes, I think the same way. If it weren’t for this second drive I wouldn’t know LG [I]appears [/I]to handle them with bare hands.

Speaking of which, I’ve gotten the reply. Just like anyone could imagine, [I]as long as the product works[/I], a

cosmetic defect

is not worth their time - regardless of what I told them about the drive’s lifespan. Nothing about it being normal or not.

Just so anyone in the future has the same concern, the bag - exactly the same as in the imgur album - containing this second drive was completely smooth and stiff and got crumpled the second I took the drive out, so what you all said earlier about it was a good advice. I also took a careful look at the SATA power/data connectors and their contacts were pristine - they get marked quickly by plugging cables, that may be helpful.

Oh. The workers at manufacturing plants are supposed to wear gloves when handling PCBs and finished products. Maybe LG outsourced their ODD department to a factory with low QC standards??
Wearing gloves is the basic requirements for workers in many factories.