New Drive - Auto Firmware update - Yes or NO?

Hello All,

I’m new to the fourm:bow:. My appligies if this seems to be a redundent question ask many times before, but I couldn’t find any info on this question (exactly).

I just purchased and installed a Samsung SH-S182M DVD burner, and I have a question about updating firmware…

Q1 - I know when you update firmware, you update to a higher version NUMBER. But I’ve found in some cases where the file you should download to update is the SAME as the one you currently have. So to update the Samsung firmware, should I be downloaded the firmware version FILE that corresponds to my CURRENT version, OR the newest one? EX-- My new burner is a version SB04. So should I download the file for SB04, or SB05?

Q2 - How about Samsungs online automatic firmware updating? Is this a good idea? OR is it best to do it on your own— Such as after you know the firmware has been out for a while and is going to be ok— rather than allowing a brand new automatic update to a version that may have a chance of being buggy?

Your help would be appreciated…Chugbug

[QUOTE=chugbug;1944682]Hello All,

I’m new to the fourm:bow:. My appligies if this seems to be a redundent question ask many times before, but I couldn’t find any info on this question (exactly).

I just purchased and installed a Samsung SH-S182M DVD burner, and I have a question about updating firmware…

Q1 - I know when you update firmware, you update to a higher version NUMBER. But I’ve found in some cases where the file you should download to update is the SAME as the one you currently have. So to update the Samsung firmware, should I be downloaded the firmware version FILE that corresponds to my CURRENT version, OR the newest one? EX-- My new burner is a version SB04. So should I download the file for SB04, or SB05?

Q2 - How about Samsungs online automatic firmware updating? Is this a good idea? OR is it best to do it on your own— Such as after you know the firmware has been out for a while and is going to be ok— rather than allowing a brand new automatic update to a version that may have a chance of being buggy?

Your help would be appreciated…Chugbug[/QUOTE]Sorry i cannot answer Q1 but Q2 i would not use Auto update :disagree: update manually.

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=chugbug;1944682]

Q1 - I know when you update firmware, you update to a higher version NUMBER. But I’ve found in some cases where the file you should download to update is the SAME as the one you currently have. So to update the Samsung firmware, should I be downloaded the firmware version FILE that corresponds to my CURRENT version, OR the newest one? EX-- My new burner is a version SB04. So should I download the file for SB04, or SB05?[/quote]If you want a newer firmware, then get SB05. Also get SB04, just in case you want to go back to the older version. I personally keep all available firmwares on my HDD.:wink:

Q2 - How about Samsungs online automatic firmware updating? Is this a good idea? OR is it best to do it on your own
Download and flash the firmware manually.

Michael

I use the Auto Updater, but removed it from my autostart. When I read of an update, I just run it one time.