New disc format enters crowded market

vbimport

I just posted the article New disc format enters crowded market.

New Disc format to

discs look like CDs an inch (2.5 centimeters) across and are housed in plastic cartridges. They can store any kind of data, including video and software and are attractive to…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/3711-New-disc-format-enters-crowded-market.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/3711-New-disc-format-enters-crowded-market.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

This sounds like my Mini Disk player. Man that thing was a waist of money, i should have bought a MP3 player.

Yeah, just like a MD player, but I think the purchasing activation code sounds really stpid. And personally I don’t think buying a MD was a waste of money. I use my MD to record my lectures, works better than tape recorder and MP3 player can’t record ^^

Hey hey hey. The industries must know that they con not longer force people to buy new things. People want to compile their own cds (Audio & DATA) or other kind of discs for an affordable price. :slight_smile:

Are you kidding?! :slight_smile: My Minidisc player is great! I don’t even have a fancy one, being that they used to be so expensive, but I use it all the time. I can bootleg any live show I want (with the use of properly concealed mics), and I can make digital dumps of any sort of music I want, in any order I want. I like the format so much that I bought a MD unit for my car (they’re inexpensive on eBay). But to be honest, I do have an MP3CD player as well now. I use them both at the same time. The MD player doesn’t skip all that often, and the MP3 player can decode all the way up to 320 kbps. It’s the best of both worlds… by using a little piece from each world :g

Does minidisc have copy protection? I’ve never actually seen a minidisc. Anyway, I was going to get some sleep but instead I decided to educate myself about this new disc format that is coming out. And I only have a couple things to say. The music on these new discs has already been compressed down to a format like MP3. They want you to pay $16 for compressed music, when their selling us uncompressed music now for the same price. We don’t download MP3’s because it’s compressed. We download it because it’s free. If we have to pay for it, we don’t want it to be compressed. Sound quality is lost during compression, and you never get it back once it’s gone. A CD holds 650 Meg of data at the minimum. These new discs hold 500 Meg of data at the maximum. Currently I get fifty blank CD’s for $12. They want to charge about $12 for one blank dataplay disc. Yes, they are already making recorders for this new type of disc. However, you cannot copy the encrypted copy protected songs off of a dataplay disc, at least not until it is hacked. So why would you need a new recorder to store 500 Meg of data, when CD burners already store 650 or more Meg of data? Dataplay discs are as small as a quarter but you have to pay for them twice. Yes that’s right, you have to pay for them twice. You go to the store, and pay $16 for compressed music. The disc has an album on it. Somewhere on the disc, there may be pictures of the band, or concert footage, or even a whole other album. However, even though you’ve already bought the disc, and it belongs to you, the extra data is encrypted and you cannot use it. To use it, you have to go to the record companies website, and do a credit card transaction, to get an unlock key, so you can unlock and use data on a disc you already owned. Problems with this are, one for the paranoid you have to give your credit card number online. Two, they get to track your buying habits. In a way it’s a violation of privacy because the record companies can track every disc you buy this way. Every time you activate with your credit card online, they know you’ve purchased that CD. If you don’t activate, you don’t get to use all the content on the disc you paid for. Three, what about older people that can’t really use the Internet? How are they going to access this extra content? So, if all these things are wrong with it, why does the music industry want to sell it to us? Because these discs have all their music copy protected and encrypted to stop us from copying their songs online. Even though it will probably be hacked. Yes that’s right, they want you to go out and buy a new $300 player, to play $16 discs that are compressed and that you can’t make backups of in case the original gets messed up. Please people do not fall for this. If you do not buy it, they cannot sell it. They’ll take my burner out of my cold dead fingers.

Plus to use all the data you have to flip it over. You know like, side A of cassette, side B of cassette. Please flip disk over. Some people may actually like that though. But it’s not 500 Meg on each side. It’s 250 Meg on each side, for a total of 500 Meg. Like I said, out of my cold dead fingers.

chsbiking - very nice investigative work! compressed audio ends up sounding so brittle after listening for hours - conpressed audio is like the opposite of the warmth of vacuum tubes (yes - vacuum tubes are more poular than they ever have been in the professional recording world.)

Just a sidenote here… According what I learned in Psychology 100(yes, that was a nightmare:(), If you actually bought the disc and you liked it, you are likely to pay for the activation code regardless of how much do you want to get the hidden tracks. This is explained by Cognitive Dissonance Theory. So I guess this is a good selling technique. or you can say that the big companies are finding another way to drain money from our pocket.

I’m gonna go with both. I just feel the technology itself is a step back behind what we already have. Why step backwards? as a side market fine, but if it becomes mainstreams, if they stop selling music on regular CD’s I think the consumers are losing out.

my only question lies in the fact that I doubt that they can COMPLETELY keep people from accessing these with their computers. I mean, come on, we can access “legal backup copies” of N64 cartridges/games with our computers, why the hell not these?

Well yeah I’m sure it will be hacked. but if the players become mainstream. They only play unhacked music. So unless we keep CD-players and CD-burners alive. We’ll have nothing to play them on.

This can’t go the way of 8 tracks. 8 tracks were actually popular for a while. :r

Well, there already are 2 new audio formats DVD-A and SACD for whom I have to buy new players and they provide much better sound quality. I don’t think I’m going to buy another player just to play this new thing.