New CPU for old pc

vbimport

I have an old homebuilt pc with an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.21 GHz CPU running in an ABIT series KN8 motherboard. The manual for the mobo says that it supports an AMD Athlon 64/64FX Dual Core 939-pin K8 CPU with 2GHz system bus using Hyper Transport Technology.
This old pc and I have grown old together; it’s like family. I would like to give it a boost in performance by trying a dual core cpu. Please tell me about the dual core CPUs that will run in this mobo. I need to know about price vs performance. Cost is a big factor. (I know that it’s too late for me, but I’d like to do something for the old mobo.)

My advice is to get a used dual core processor from ebay. I did a quick search and they have several available in the $10-$20 range with free shipping. Going to a dual core will improve performance a decent amount and for $10-$20 is a good, economical upgrade, IMO. Increasing the amount of RAM memory is another area that can increase performance but DDR and DDR2 memory seem to be priced at a premium nowadays.

Thanks a million for the very useful advice. I believe that that’s what I’m going to do. Would you kindly post the model numbers of some of the dual core processors? Thanks again in advance.

Link for KN8 CPU support http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ABIT/KN8.html

Be sure when buying that you buy Socket 939 CPU:s. In here they were quite sparse and expensive back then. Not like the AM2 dual core CPU:s…

Some dual-core processors in South Korea cost less than US$5. Combined cost of relatively modern (but used) motherboard - based on 775-pin socket, for example, and processor can be as low as US$30. The important factor is how to find the right seller. 939 processors cost far more than AM2 counterparts. I guess it’s about the same in other countries.

Mastus, thanks for the useful information.

Thanks, Kenshin. I’ve pretty well got my mind made up about what I want. Now to try and find it. I believe that S Korea may be a good place to look. I was there in 1950 and 1951, but I saw no CPUs at that time.

[QUOTE=pilgrim7993;2708862]Thanks, Kenshin. I’ve pretty well got my mind made up about what I want. Now to try and find it. I believe that S Korea may be a good place to look. I was there in 1950 and 1951, but I saw no CPUs at that time.[/QUOTE]

South Korea probably had a few computers when I was born in the early 1970s. I sold a few (used but hardly used) Q35 and 41/61 motherboards for US$20 on average during the recent few weeks and I found compatible dual-core Celeron processors often available at US$3 or US$4 on used markets.

In South Korea, some used DDR 2 modules are cheap, but the price of two 512MB modules is lower than that of one 1GB module and the price of four 512MB modules is about half as that of one 2GB module.