New copyright suit hits file swappers

I just posted the article New copyright suit hits file swappers.

A group representing music publishers and songwriters on Tuesday filed a federal suit against some makers of file-swapping software, marking the latest in a string of legal tangles over copyright…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/2850-New-copyright-suit-hits-file-swappers.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/2850-New-copyright-suit-hits-file-swappers.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I don’t think this one will float. Just because I make a program so I can swap some files with my best friends doesn’nt make it illegal. there is nothing wrong with it. That would be like making M$ responsible for everyhacker thats use win9x to hack into someones computer. when will they ever learn… but ya gotta give 'em an E for effort more $$$ down the drain:4

I use file sharing programs to download things that you cannot buy. Namely stuff from Eastern Asia.

i’m like Psx29 i download stuff that i can’t buy in england. mainly cos its unofficial techno remixes of whatever. My big problem with the music industry is they keep ramming that sodding pop crap down everyones throats. if i hear another single from another talentless boy/girl band im gonna :r.

I’d like to see an open source file sharing program, although that may bring security concerns, that is the only sure method to have a file sharing system that cannot be shut down. If profit is being made by the programmers, that makes them vulnerable to lawsuits.

They wouldnt be able to shut down things like Kazaa anyway, theres no central server, the software is simply a client to allow computers to connect, the only way to do it would be to take away everyones computer.

It’s nothing short of amazing to see the endless lack of insight into the inner workings of the Internet, that the “suits” keep showing time and time again. They really oughta realize by now that the Internet equals chaos/anarchy and thus ISN’T controllable(at least not the commercial way they’d like it to be). But as Crazywolf mentions, you gotta give them credit for the effort. By now it seems as if suing ppl is all they (think) they have left to restrict computing(CSS, DMCA, SSSCA, CPPM, CPRM etc. having been tried). But then again who am I to object, by all means let them spend their countless $$$ on lawsuits. Bringing KaZaa and Co. down(which is somewhat unlikely since it isn’t server-based) is like p*ssing against the wind anyway. For every “Napster” brought down 5 new FS-apps pop up(and it’s not like ppl are slow to catch on to the new apps either)! As far as Open source FS-apps go(which is the way to go IMO too), there are several of the open source variety out there(LimeWire being the most popular of them)

How the mighty have fallen. Kazaa, MusicCity, etc. (anything based on FastTrack.nu’s P2P protocol) used to have no centralized servers. But, as was pointed out a few months ago at http://gift.sourceforge.net/press_9_29_01.html , the FastTrack protocol now requires a form of server authenticated “encryption” key when you log in. Back in September when they turned this on, it broke the opensource gIFT client (see http://gift.sourceforge.net/ for more info). A few weeks ago they stopped forcing this authentication and gIFT was back working on the FastTrack network. Since that time, Linux versions have started appearing for things like Kazaa (or was it Morpheus?! I forget :)) and since they were developed by the original publishers affiliated with FastTrack.nu, everything was fine (including the encryption challenge/response from the server). But the problem with all this is that that encryption stuff takes place on a central server, and thus makes Kazaa, Grokster, Morpheus and MusicCity all clients that operate just like Napster did. If precedent holds, there’s not much we can do except find real P2P software that’s hard to use and has no central servers :frowning:

Is this a fucking nightmare?? Will they try drag the car manufactors to the court too? I know many people who R driving too fast!! What the hell R they thinking about?? :frowning: