New Copy Protection?

vbimport

Okay so I was trying to backup Resident Evil: Apocalypse and it keeps freezing in the same spot. The disc plays fine and doesn’t have any scratches (brand new). I suppose it could be factory defective. I have tried DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink and AnyDVD and none of them will read through it (each one is the latest version). I remember hearing about some new copy protection that was supposed to be showing up on discs pretty soon. Does anyone remember the name of it? DVD Decrypter says: “Possible structure protection found”. Is this something new or not? Just curious. EDIT BTW the disc is region 1, NTSC.

I am not an expert but i think is the new Sony Argoos protection. You can rip the DVD on the HDD using Super DVD Copy V.2 and then use DVDshrink to compress it. This worked just fine for me with the same Resident Evil 2:Apocalypse Region 1 US

i tried with Super DVD Copy 2.o but failed. How did you do it? Special settings?
It seems to me that this new protection is having the upper hand.

Is this on the same movie iemortal? Was it the same region and format? Anyways the Argoos protection would make sense as it is a Columbia release (which I believe is owned by Sony).

hey, Jesterrace, it is a reginon 1-bought-in-America disc, which i believe was released by Columbia Pictures. I have tried every possible mean, but no luck. I guess I have to wait for the newer version of DVDshrink or DVDdecryster to come out. So, what do you think?

I have the same problem with RE2 and found on other forums that they were able to back it up using VOBBlanker. I have not tried it myself but will after work tonight.

Good luck.

i used superdvd copy to rip it than i used dvdshrink to encode it and it worked fine
Dvdshrink kept freezing when trying to rip it.

Yup, heard about the Vobblanker method as well. I really hope there is an update for Decrypter or Shrink before too long though so I won’t have to keep juggling all of these programs.

Dear all,

I have prepared an AnyDVD beta for testing:

http://update.slysoft.com/SetupAnyDVD4400.exe

4.4.0.0 (beta), 2004 12 29

• New: Added support for a new version of the “Sony ARccOS
    protection” as found on “Resident Evil - Apocalypse” (US)
    to the option to remove “Protection based on unreadable
    Sectors”
  • Some minor fixes and improvements
  • Updated languages

As I only have the .ifo files (the disc is still on the way from the USA) I was not able to test it myself.

I hope you like it!
I hope it fixes the problems with “Resident Evil - Apocalypse” (US) or other discs!

Hey everyone,

I have had the same problems with DVD Shrink hanging and stalling on a few brand new movies. Sony has come out with a new copy protection called Arccos, basically a new type of bad sector protection. The newest version of AnyDVD from Slysoft ver 4.5.4.1 has the new tools to remove or get around that.

The other movie that I had a real problem with was Little Black Book, and once I had AnyDVD installed and working right DVD Shrink had no problems at all pulling both of them off correctly and shrinking them at the same time, so you do not need to copy it first then compress, with AnyDVD in place Shrink works as normal.

I was able to get my hands on a copy of Forgotton and it was really bad with the “bad sector” message and once again with AnyDVD and Shrink it worked fine.

Well thats my 2 cents good luck everyone out there.

Have you tried the new DVD Decrypter from last week? it is supposed rip these DVDs and it is freeware.

Yup, the new DVD Decrypter DOES rip these discs. I just made a perfect backup of the Forgotten with DVD Decrypter V3.5.2 (the newest version) and DVD Shrink V3.2. It takes a couple of minutes longer in the ripping process to adjust to the new protection but it gets through it just fine.

im trying to backup secondhand lions and its much harder thin resident evil apocalypse
i tried dvdshrink clonedvd dvd decripter and vobblanker i dont know what kind of protection it has on it but id like to find out .

I just used ICopyDVDs2 and DVD For Free and the copy is flawless.
For RE2.