New Copy Protection In Every Harddrive

vbimport

I just posted the article New Copy Protection In Every Harddrive….

A rather difficult article at the register, for the hardware freaks…

IBM, Toshiba, Intel and Matsushita are busy with a new ‘content protection system’. It protects data form being…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/1079-New-Copy-Protection-In-Every-Harddrive__.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/1079-New-Copy-Protection-In-Every-Harddrive__.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

is this supposed to scare us or what. if i get this correctly the disks all have their own unique identifier - just like safedisk? and how long was it before we cracked that. sure some anti copy systems are bound to become prevalent however it is hopeless to expect to stop it!

Ah great, ANOTHER GREAT COPY PROTECTION! WHEN R THEY GONNA LEARN IT’S USELESS???

All the time they are rescearhing new copy protections but they always lose!

mmmm another lame protection

nice try guys

Riddle me this Batman? If you go any store and purchase one of these Hard Drives with cash, How the hell will they know YOU bought that drive?

They are trying the same with CD burners. Unless they get your name and other information, they have know way of knowing who bought the drive(s)!

This GREAT protection will stop piracy!!! (for a week at least)

or we will use the old once

This sounds like it’s going to cause a lot of problems both for the OS’s and for the software. Sounds like it could make a lot of current software have problems. I cant see the software company being too into this.

Whast the point, its gona be cracked anyway & besides, my old HD has a few good years left, if not forever.

You guys seem to forget that a lot of the “news” posted on The Register is made up.

Sounds like another excuse to enforce the Digital Millenium Copyright Act so graciously passed by the U.S. government. Figures, they come up with a lame protection scheme and then use it to arrest people for breaking it. Figures.

This would be an attempt to enforce lame copy-protection that are fuct anyway, I agree with Nila about the problems, and if windoze isnt buggy enough, we are going to have harddrives with copy protection in them, what happens if you need to clone the drive?? Ahh, more bluse screens of death abound

not a very good idea. If understood the news clipping correctly it would indicate that you can’t use the new drives with old ones. This would cause a problem with data transfer and a large number of IT things. it is a poor idea that was come up with by some dip shit Eng… if it’s true.

I can see a major boycott of many computer companies if this ever comes into effect. A lot make one drive and then duplicate it enmasse for machines to be put on for sale. This means they have to install each system separately?? Not bloody likely…

Great! So now I have to pay even more for a HD, just because they want to prevent illegal copying?

ok this is really going to be a bitch unless a quick fix comes out for it quick (like a jumper to disable this pos thing) its hard enough to mantain 500 computers with only one person just imagin how big of a pain in the ass this will be

ok this is really going to be a bitch unless a quick fix comes out for it quick (like a jumper to disable this pos thing) its hard enough to mantain 500 computers with only one person just imagin how big of a pain in the ass this will be

Don`t worry about it, Its never going to happen