New copies not being recognized by DVD player

vbimport

I’ve used CloneDVD 2 to make many DVD+R copies already. But two days ago, I downloaded the latest revision (2.8.0.2) and since then, I have burned 3 DVD’s, and none of them is being recognized by my DVD player. It is only recognized by the DVD-writer drive itself. This is the same hardware set up I have used for a long time. I have never experience this problem before.

Afterwards, I went ahead and reformatted my hard drive to start fresh. Even after a fresh install of the applications and device drivers, the same problem persists.

Any help would be appreciated.

I’m using:
HP DVD Writer 300c as the Writer
JLMS XJ-HD166S as the Reader

Since the hard drive reformat, I went back to the previous version of CloneDVD, but that does not fix the problem? Am I missing something obvious here?

This is probably caused by wrong/bad DVD media.

Thanks Olli, but I’ve used the same brand of media (Ridata) and burned over 400 copies in the past at 98% success rate.

Does this have to do with the new version of CloneDVD? Does the new version affect the DVD writer’s firmware somehow?

I’m have no idea why it’s doing this, all of a sudden…

All I can say is I’m not having any problems. I just checked it to make sure it was functioning and everything went well. :bigsmile:

having succesfully burned with a particular brand of media does not insure that this will always be true. you may just have a bad batch of media. I use +R media ( Taiyo Yuden, maxelll and verbatim) for backing up my DVD’s and have had no problems with the latest version of CloneDVD2.

Thanks iss,

I see. However, the DVD-writer itself can recognize and play the copy. If the media was faulty, wouldn’t it be faulty everywhere?

Also, I’ve noticed that every single copy made by another computer is never playable by anything other than itself? (This is the problem I am now experiencing on my formerly stable system.)

Could this be a firmware problem? But I didn’t update or change the firmware. The facgtory version of the firmware have always worked for me until now.

Any other ideas?

No and no.

I see. However, the DVD-writer itself can recognize and play the copy. If the media was faulty, wouldn’t it be faulty everywhere?

not necessarily, your DVD on your computer has better error correction capabilities than what is generally in stand alone DVD players. stand alone players can be quite picky about burned media.

Also, I’ve noticed that every single copy made by another computer is never playable by anything other than itself? (This is the problem I am now experiencing on my formerly stable system.)

that sounds like a media issue\bad burns.

Could this be a firmware problem? But I didn’t update or change the firmware. The facgtory version of the firmware have always worked for me until now.

it might be. one of the reasons new firmwares are released is not only to handle new media but to handle any changes in existing media. some media manufaturer’s change their dye formulations so new burning strategies are incorporated into firmware updates to handle the changes. I would definitely update the firmware.

Status update: I used other DVD+R media to see if the problem was with faulty media. The problem persisted so I was able to nullify that hypothesis. I was sure it was either software or hardware-related. I then updated the DVD writer’s firmware. The problem was fixed. I just don’t know why this problem came about right when I upgraded to the new version of CloneDVD.

Thanks for your help. :cool: