New Computer Solutions

I’m trying to get my little hobby off the ground. I’m just wondering if anyone would be willing to purchase a home-built PC. If anyone would be interested please specify the PC configurations here and the lowest price you have seen on the web. I’ll see if I can produce a lower price with equal or better products than you requested. Just as a sidenote, you aren’t actually buying a PC when you post here so don’t be worried bout gettin a bill or somethin. If you happen to be serious when you post your configuration just drop me a line at Alexstarfire@hotmail.com. I won’t be able to make anything for a while though, I’m just trying to see if I can get some people interested. Thanks for all the help your giving me. :slight_smile:

If anyone has any questions about something I said please just email or post here

Hi Alex. Could you check out my Intel based comp here? I’ll be posting AMD price equivalents soon. I’m a complete newbie as far as comp. building is concerned, so feel free to advise!

Here

Well since nobody seems to be posting very much in here I’ll give you a little taste of how cheap these can get and still be good.

Computer specs:
CPU- 2.4Ghz P4 800Mhz FSB 512Kb L2 cache
Chipset- Intel 845E
HD- Maxtor EIDE 120GB 7200RPM
Video Card- GeforeFX 5200 128MB
Sound Card- SB Audigy Platinum
Speakers- Genica Hi-Fi 2-piece
CD Burner- EIDE LiteOn 52327S 52x32x52
Keyboard- Dell Internet PS/2
Mouse- 5-button optical
Floppy- 3.5 in. 1.44MB
Network Card- Intel 10/100 PCI

You can get that for around $550 depending on if you want/need an OS or not.

Okay , i got some challenges here :

Challenge 1 :

AMD Duron 1300 MHz + CPU Cooler
256 MB DDR-Ram
52 x CD-Rom
EPOX 8K9Ai Mainboard
40 GB Harddisk
32 MB TNT TV Out AGP VGA card
120 W Wawemaster Speakers
Floppy disk drive
PS/2 Keyboard
PS/2 Mouse
Midi Tower ATX Case + 350 W PSU
2 year warranty

Price : 375,00 €

Source : Bora computers

Challenge 2 :

Miditower 300 Watt + Front Sound & USB
Mainboard Elitegroup K7S5A with Sound and onboard LAN
CPU AMD XP 2400+ Mhz FSB 133 MhZ (2000Mhz)
Memory Card Reader 6in1 for 3,5" bay
Dimm 256MB DDR GeIL CL2.5 with Heatspreader
Cordless Keyboard+Mouse Multimedia
CPU Cooler Spire Whisper Rock IV (21dBA)
Speakers 120 Watt
DVD Rom 16x/40x
Harddisk 60GB 7200rpm
Floppydrive 3,5"
VGA GeForce4 8x AGP MX-440 64MB TV-Out
Enermax Casefan 80mm adjustable
2 year warranty

Price : 439.00 €

Source :Hiq Computers

Challenge 3 :

AMD Athlon XP 2500+(1,83Ghz, 512 KB)
Asus A7N8X-VM
AMD Boxed Cooler
2x 256MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM
Harddisk Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 80GB, 8 MB cache
CD / DVD-ROM drive LG 48x24x58/16 CDRW/DVD Combo
Floppy drive 1,44MB Diskdrive
AOpen QF50C PC Case
Monitor Acer AL1521 15inch
Speakerset Philips A2.310
Logitech Internet Navigator Keyboard
Muis Logitech MX500 Optical
3 year warranty

Price : 962.71 €

Source : Salland Automatisering

If there are no brands given , you can also use any brand of your desire of course.

I was building boxes for a while myself.

One thing you will find is that you cant compete with Dell. You cant compete with the buying power they have, they buy millions and you buy one. What you have to sell is your service, customization, and quality components.

And chances are, if your customer knows what is quality components, he will be building it himself.

Good luck, but it is a tough road…

hmmmmmmm not bad price there alex …just was looking at that …and I totally agree with danny

in my opinion building your own box is better cause if something breaks then you have to replace one part …but on some of new dells and older dells ( also mean other really well known brands …compaq … IBM ) everything is intergrated … and with ones you build you know what is there and sometimes upgrading is just putting a new processor or memory in for one you built …but in ones by big companies …sometimes one thing breaks whole thing goes down … and upgrading sometimes is a hassles specially processors …

but i do have to say one good thing bout dell … they have a great return service …if something breaks …and u have a dell technician visit ya ( or your certified in dell …as I am ) … you get your parts usually next day unless it is back order …and you cant beat that …

Mr. Belvedere, here are the answers to your ?s. For all of the challenges I picked out exactly the same products with few variations. Unsure about some things because they weren’t specified enough like the RAM and HD. And it seems like some products weren’t listed on some things like there was no video card for challenge 3. Here goes. For challenge 1 I got 189€ to your 375€, challenge 2 I got 266€ to your 439€, and for challenge 3 I got a whooping 421€ to your 962.71€. Hows that for a price difference huh. None of these have OSs however since you specified none. Though you can get Windows XP Pro for only 82€, which is currently the most expensive at home OS. Only thing I can’t ever offer is the warranty, though if people have problems they can feel free to email me at Alexstarfire@hotmail.com for help and/or product replacement. I’d be able to respond within a day, and may replace the product if neccessary, depending on price and component.

Oops forgot, for those of you who are clueless to the prices here it is in $. Challenge 1 I got $222 to your $440, challenge 2 I got $312 to your $515, and for challenge 3 I got a whooping $494 to your $1,129.

falling out of chair …cheaper than my wholesale i get …where and how …

Sorry to say this but I can’t reveal my sources for if I do then I prolly wouldn’t sell as many PC’s cause they could make it cheaper. Though if you look around hard enough I mentioned the site in another post of mine for a fellow DIY guy, though I prolly shouldn’t have. Don’t be fooled though there are prolly other sites that offer cheaper stuff.

Originally posted by Alexstarfire
Oops forgot, for those of you who are clueless to the prices here it is in $. Challenge 1 I got $222 to your $440, challenge 2 I got $312 to your $515, and for challenge 3 I got a whooping $494 to your $1,129.

That’s pretty impressive Alex :bow:

Especially for challenge 3 it seems that the chosen computer company (Salland Automatisering) has a very high profit-margin :slight_smile:

Offtopic question : what about transport costs ?

And i would be highly interested where i could to purchase Windows XP Pro for 82 € (hopefully a full retail version, not a “included with your new Dell system” version)

i am still in shock … but yes shipping i wondering bout too …still though …wish I didnt just build this one …i might have considered buying one …

The Windows XP that I gor for 82€ is just for the OEM sticker. This means you get the respectable OEM sticker with a cd-key on it, no cd comes with it. This is great if your a guy like me who builds his own stuff and already has a CD because you can get the sticker for a lot less than with a CD. If you need the CD it’s still rather axpensive and will cost you over 120€. By the way is case anyone was wondering about the quality of the products I’m gettin I can assure you that they are usually 1st party and not some wierd ass brand. If any are 3rd party then they are highly recommended like Asus for a motherboard or something like that. Not sure about the shipping though, as I’ve never shipped a computer before but I don’t think it’d be more than 50$. It would depend on the weight and the demensions of the system, obviously bigger and heavier systems would cost more to ship. But they would be shipped FedEx in case you wanted to look at pricing.

Well other than trying to keep this thread alive I have some good news. I can now get a much better CPU that’s a little bit more expensive like $50 but it’s worth it. For only $50 more you can get a 3Ghz P4 with 1Ghz FSB. Sweet right.

Too bad your on the other side of the ocean, I’d be buying my parts from you, you’d beat Newegg anyday.

When you are ready to set up your business…we can discuss advertisement fees :wink:

Well other than trying to keep this thread alive I have some good news. I can now get a much better CPU that’s a little bit more expensive like $50 but it’s worth it. For only $50 more you can get a 3Ghz P4 with 1Ghz FSB. Sweet right.

Alexstarfire where do you live? Or did I missed it somewhere??

Not so sweet… that’s the same 2.4G chip that’s just been overclocked with fsb… $50 for one setting in the bios?

On top of that, you specified the 845E chipset board in your specs, can that even go up to 1000fsb??

Sorry to say this but I can’t reveal my sources for if I do then I prolly wouldn’t sell as many PC’s cause they could make it cheaper. Though if you look around hard enough I mentioned the site in another post of mine for a fellow DIY guy, though I prolly shouldn’t have. Don’t be fooled though there are prolly other sites that offer cheaper stuff.

The only website that you refer to in ANY of the threads that you have posted in is Pricewatch.com. If that is the site that you are using, that is no secret. Pricewatch has been around for years now. And BTW, in case you dont know this, Pricewatch is not a store. It is basically a database of computer parts dealers and there costs. Yeah, it is a pretty good site to go to to get the best prices, but you may save money on shipping getting the majority of the parts from one site, such as NewEgg, which has Excellent customer support.

And also, did you account for shipping prices for you? That is, when you order all the parts to build the system, you get charged shipping. Did you put that into the total of the systems? If not, you need to to be an accurate price.

Just wondering.