New computer problems

vbimport

I recently purchased a HP-P6142p, AMD Phenom x4 9650, 2.3g, 8 G DDR2, 640HD Vista Home premium 64.
Since the beginning I have had problems with it freezing not shutting down. I finally had to run a Recovery then I added Norton360 All-in one, that didn’t seem to agree with it. Froze more. Got rid of Norton, doesn’t freeze quite as much but does at times, sometimes recognizes my burners (3) and Cd Speed, sometimes not. Have to reboot to clear it up a lot. Before I have to call HP(I hate to play the phone game), I was hoping for any advice all you pros have helped me with in the past. T.I.A.

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2480184]I recently purchased a HP-P6142p, AMD Phenom x4 9650, 2.3g, 8 G DDR2, 640HD Vista Home premium 64.
Since the beginning I have had problems with it freezing not shutting down. I finally had to run a Recovery then I added Norton360 All-in one, that didn’t seem to agree with it. Froze more. Got rid of Norton, doesn’t freeze quite as much but does at times, sometimes recognizes my burners (3) and Cd Speed, sometimes not. Have to reboot to clear it up a lot. Before I have to call HP(I hate to play the phone game), I was hoping for any advice all you pros have helped me with in the past. T.I.A.[/QUOTE]

How long ago do you mean purchase? Did you know now the computers sold should be at least Win7 O/S??? If you having that much problem take it back with the warranty and get a better computer that has Win7 on it. Cause you shouldn’t have to deal with this problem this soon especially if it is still that new. I would say stay away from Norton suite rather just get Norton A/V you don’t need all that software hogging memory and slowing down the computer. Worst comes to worst take it back and demand a better computer for what you bought or that they refund your money that will force them to admit the problem or give you a equal computer that comes with Win7 on it. For my by building my own system and components that was one reason I avoid premade computers you don’t know if it will always work how you want it. Also you get what they want you to have and use and if you want more it will cost you more.

If you got a really good deal on the PC and don’t want to get ride of it you could format the drive and put Win 7 on it. If you have a family member in school, MS has a deal where you can get Win 7 for ~$30.

I personally don’t use any norton products any more. If you want you can get a free version of Avast and the free version of Comdo Firewall (install the firewall only). You would dl these two programs, then disconnect from the internet, then uninstal all your old security software, then reboot, then install the new stuff. Only after everything is installed would you connect to the internet.

An even better thing to do is after uninstalling the old software, run http://www.ccleaner.com/ with it registry cleaning option to clear out the old norton stuff, followed by the reboot.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2480186]How long ago do you mean purchase? Did you know now the computers sold should be at least Win7 O/S??? If you having that much problem take it back with the warranty and get a better computer that has Win7 on it. Cause you shouldn’t have to deal with this problem this soon especially if it is still that new. I would say stay away from Norton suite rather just get Norton A/V you don’t need all that software hogging memory and slowing down the computer. Worst comes to worst take it back and demand a better computer for what you bought or that they refund your money that will force them to admit the problem or give you a equal computer that comes with Win7 on it. For my by building my own system and components that was one reason I avoid premade computers you don’t know if it will always work how you want it. Also you get what they want you to have and use and if you want more it will cost you more.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the reply. It was refurbished, after 30 day,s have to go thru HP, which I will do as a last resort, at this point I am trying to solve the problems before doing that.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2480309]If you got a really good deal on the PC and don’t want to get ride of it you could format the drive and put Win 7 on it. If you have a family member in school, MS has a deal where you can get Win 7 for ~$30.

I personally don’t use any norton products any more. If you want you can get a free version of Avast and the free version of Comdo Firewall (install the firewall only). You would dl these two programs, then disconnect from the internet, then uninstal all your old security software, then reboot, then install the new stuff. Only after everything is installed would you connect to the internet.

An even better thing to do is after uninstalling the old software, run http://www.ccleaner.com/ with it registry cleaning option to clear out the old norton stuff, followed by the reboot.[/QUOTE]

Win 7 for $30.00? Do you have a link? Also with Win7 upgrade, can you format the hard drive and start a fresh system?

Link to one of the threads talking about it Win 7 you need a student email address, but I think they will accept a second email for billing.

As for doing a fresh install with Win 7 upgrade, yes and no. There is a way AFAIK but I don’t know if its legit, so we can’t discuss it on this forum. :wink: