i recently purchased a computer by ordering parts from online vendors.
asus p4s533 mb
pentium 4 2.0ghz northwood
samsung 512mb pc2100 ddr
geforce 2 64mb
wd 60 gig hd.
and so on.
- i’ve assembled the pc and it turned on fine.
- i fdisked and formatted my hd.
- booted from win98 startup disk.
- ran win 98 setup.
- passed disk check.
- during window’s install screen i get “error”
- i forget what it said but window’s installer quits and reboots.
- i get same error after reboot.
- i tried turning my pc back on and off couple of times.
- oh. it works. it installed window98 se.
- everything works. umm…
so…i tried to install windows xp.
- fdisk and formated
- ran xp setup
- setup won’t even run.
- um…it says setup up cannot run in dos mode.???
- it was a full version not an upgrade.
- i even tried my friend’s xp disk. same thing.
unfortunately, i don’t have spare parts to test with.
is it mb? is it mem? is it hd?
is there a program that test hardware integrity?