New Computer but Benq 1620 stopped working

vbimport

Hey all, hope you can help, got a real stumper here.

So I upgraded my whole rig from a7n8x-x with xp2500 up to a8n32-sli deluxe x2 4200, sataII hd, 7600gt vid card, 2gb ocz memory.
Carried over from my old rig my 2 disc drives, a generic cd-rw and my benq 1620 dcd writer.
So I booted up, and installed from CD-ROM with the xp disc in my benq, and it loaded up all the setup files just fine, and then when XP got to the interface portion, where you start selecting options and it installs the rest (where theres that time til completion timer as well) it would no longer read from the drive therefore unable to detect the rest of the install files. Changing the disc over to cd-rw it finished installation and i was left goin wtf just happened.
So when XP finished installing and i went to install the mobo and gpu drivers, they wouldnt load the discs from my benq, but they’d read from my cd-rw.

after I got everything back installed, nothng would read from my benq (and stuff isnt autorunning from my cd-rw either) and so I updated its firmware to the latest, and ran the latest nforce4 x16 drivers again just in case, but after all that it still won’t read.

Anyone know whats goin on?

Instead of using the nforce drivers use microsoft drivers and see if that helps. If it still doesn’t work then it sounds like the drive could be failing. Perhaps the laser is dirty or just failing. Try installing the 1620 in another pc to see if works or not.

Forgot to mention but I dont think it’s failing, its only 5ish months old, as I was using it literally the night before watching video perfectly. Only making the switch to the new system did it have problems.

As I suggested try putting the drive in another computer and use microsoft drivers instead of the nforce ones. :wink:

DVD_ADDICT is correct try it in another PC and also about using MS drivers instead of nvidia. It will help to narrow down the cause of the problem.

Just because the drive is only 5 months old does not mean it can’t be failing, I have had a brand new drive die after 6 months. I RMA’d it got a replacement NEC2500 and that is still going dtrong but in a friends PC now as I have a 1640 in mine.

Can your PSU handle all that new high-power equipment?

Just noticed i didnt put in my post my PSU, I upgraded that along with everything else to an Antec Truepower 2.0 550w. The age I put as an after note, my main reason for not thinking its failing is because i literally was using it 9 hours before switching to the new system. While i suppose it is technically possible for it to fail in 9 hours of it being switched off (though farfetched) I just see it as being too dang convienent in timing.

I’ll try the switch out later when i go over to a friends, just hoping to fix it by some other means if possible.

I’m starting to think it is indeed something in Windows thats causing issues. I forgot to mention this in my main post too, i was running SP1 before (didnt like sp2 changes and such so i never upgraded) but now went full sp2 cause of my dual core. So i’m thinking something in SP2 doesnt like my drives, because as I started pulling backup data onto my now larger drive i noticed that my cd-rw drive doesnt autorun anything, to get it to actually start spinning and read the autorun I open the my computer window to bring up the links to the drives, and THEN it starts the spin and autorun…

Lastly, sorry if this makes me clueless, but I dont know how to switch between windows drivers for the drives and nforce, so enlighten me please.

If my memory serves me correctly, go into device manages and remove the optical drives from the list. Shut down PC and re-start, this should then get windows to automatically install it’s own drivers as it detects the new devices, which is what they have become. There maybe an easier way, and someone more knowledgable will bebale to say, but this is the only way I know how to do it.

Well as much as I dont want to believe it, I came back from a friend’s house and my drive wasnt working for him too, though he was on SP2 as well.

I dug my old old dvd-rom drive and it appears to be working generally.

Is it possible something in SP2 that isnt in SP1 is causing problems? Or maybe something in the latest nforce drivers? Since my friend has an X2 4200 also with an nforce4 board…

Suggestions have already been made to uninstall the nforce drivers and install the microsoft drivers. :wink: I highly doubt it’s SP2 causing your 1620 not to work correctly. I had a 1620 in one of my AMD computers but used the microsoft drivers instead of nforce ones and it worked fine.

Yes, but i’ve only gotten one post saying how to get the microsoft drivers functional, and it hasnt really done anything. the nforce drivers dont JUST control the drives so i dont want to simply uninstall the whole thing (not to mention it wasnt working even before those were installed. The drive wasnt reading directly from the windows ui part of setup, and I had to load the drivers disc from my cd-rw, after trying the 1620 first.

I dont mean to be rude Dvd_addict, because I appreciate all help, but instead of saying suggestions have been made to uninstall, could you have read the post where i said I didnt know how to and go through idiot level step by step instructions. Thanks.

When you uninstall nforce drivers you can always reinstall it when windows reboots but this time do not choose to install the nforce ide controller. I’ve done this with one of my AMD computers. You can go to device manager and uninstall the ide controller that your BENQ 1620 is attached to. Just make sure you don’t uninstall the one that windows is on. Suggestions were made and searching through google could also help you. :wink:

“Yes, but i’ve only gotten one post saying how to get the microsoft drivers functional, and it hasnt really done anything. the nforce drivers dont JUST control the drives so i dont want to simply uninstall the whole thing (not to mention it wasnt working even before those were installed. The drive wasnt reading directly from the windows ui part of setup, and I had to load the drivers disc from my cd-rw, after trying the 1620 first.”

As your above post!
You came here and asked for advice; you were given very good advice and then argue about it!
Just go to device manager, hardware and delete both the DVD drives and the primary and secondary ide channels. Reboot and the Microsoft default drivers will be installed.
If you took the time to search this site you will have found many people having problems with nforce drivers, doing as above and it cured their problem.
As the drive didn’t work on your friend’s computer make sure that the drive is set to master on the secondary channel and leave off your cd drive. Try also a new ide cable in case your old one was damaged in the upgrade.
If none of the above works then it is probable that the drive is faulty and should be replaced.