New Computer Advice

vbimport

Here’s what I’m looking at getting:

Asus P5B Socket 775 Intel 965 Express + ICH8 Chipset Dual-Channel DDR2 533/667/800
$150

Asus Extreme EAX1300Pro/TD ATI Radeon X1300Pro(600MHz) 256Mb DDR2(800MHz) 128Bit
$88

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA NCQ 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache (OEM)
$117

Corsair DDR2 PC2-5400 667MHz Value Select 2GB KIT (2X1024MB) 240-pin Unbuffered DIMM (VS2GBKIT667D2)
$188

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13 GHz (1066MHz) 2MB L2 Cache Socket 775 Processor
$280

LiteOn SH-16A7S 16X DVD-Writer, Black, SATA, OEM
$45

Antec New Solution NSK6500 - Mid tower - ATX - power supply 430 Watt ( ATX12V 2.0 ) - USB/FireWire/Audio
$120

Total = $1126 CAD (after taxes)

I tend to use VMware quite a bit, so I definately want at least 2 GB ram (currently 1 GB is not cutting it).

I’m not heavily into gaming - I tend to play RTS strategy games mostly (e.g. Age of Empires III). Is the video card sufficient for this? The X1300 is a “Vista-ready” card, so that’s not a problem.

Inicdentally I’m going to try to get everything from Canada Computers in Waterloo (local to me).

Have I missed anything? What are people’s general impressions of this system? Any advice to give?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t go with the value select, it’s worth the couple of extra bucks to buy the good modules.

430W PSU might be a little lite for some games, try it first, but if you have problems I would look into that first.

If you want I can have a look at it tonight when I get back home…
//Danne

I agree, dont get the value ram, and look for a nice CL timing, 3 or 4 would be nice although quite pricey and 3 might not even be out yet for that high a frequency… it always manages to come later and makes youw anan get it and spend more cash… how lovely is marketing…

I’m a bit confused as to how powerful a PSU to get. I’m not looking at using SLI at all. I’ll probably get an additional SATA disk down the road. Is a 430 Watt PSU sufficient? Would getting a 500 (or 550) Watt one make a big difference?

There are graphics cards out there that the manufacturers suggest 450W. The price of the PSU that I suggested is a good one, especially if you figure that you’re saving about seven bucks in shipping on top. It may seem like a little over kill, but it will give you some head room for future installations. The PSU is one of the components that you can over size and actually benefit from.

Here’s what I managed to put together over at ncix.com

Better motherboard, better sound chip and LAN.
Faster Memory (PC6400) and a good brand in general…
Faster and a slightly more silent HDD by Hitachi
Same CPU
Faster Video Card including hardware support for H.264 1080p no HDCP-support though…
Cheap case with a good finish and easy to work with in general (including good airflow).
Seasonic PSU, really silent and offers good case ventilation by utilizing a 120mm fan.
Forgot the DVD though :wink:

//Danne

Wow, thanks! I was actually looking at the DS3 board - it seems really sweet.

…so did you get anything in the end? :slight_smile:
//Danne

I’m going to wait a bit still. Busy with exams atm :frowning: