New CloneCD is a disappointment

I have always had a rather crappy burner, so I have been looking forward to the release of the new Clone CD with great anticipation. Unfortunatly, my first two tests of the software have provided nothing but disappointment.
My first test:
Civilization 3 (protected by Safedisc 2.0)
Used max speed read and write settings, and the new Protected CD profile (with weak sector emulation).
Result: A coaster in the writer and the CD-rom drive in a different computer.

My second test
Red Alert 2 (protected by Safedisc 2.0)
Used 4X read and 4X write settings, and the new protected CD profile.
Result: A coaster in the writer and the CD-rom drive in a different computer.

My conclusion: I am going to have to stick to emulation with Daemon tools or save up for a better burner if I wish to create backups, the new CloneCD offers no improvements (for me at least).

If you use the weak sector emulation, then you will have to activate also “hide cd-r media” in order to play your backup, or it won’t work!

where do I do that Fr4nz? I don’t recall seeing that option. I have my country listed as Canada. Is this option not available to Canadian users?

-Edit okay, I found it. Rather silly of them to only make the option available in the little tray icon.

I’ll give it another go with “Hide CD-R” media and report my results! :bigsmile:

Another question for anyone out there: Should I check close last session and uncheck “don’t repair subchannel data”? On the SD 2.0 profile I downloaded from here at CD freaks “close…” is checked, and “don’t repair…” is unchecked. Curiously, the exact opposite is true on the new default “protected CD” profile. Can anyone explain this?

Wow, I just made a copy of RA 2! The new CloneCD does indeed work! I guess my problem was that by default the new clonecd doesn’t check “close last session”, after doing so manually (and enabling hidecdr) I was able to make my first 1:1 copy of a SD 2 protected game. Oh joyous day!

Close last session has nothing to do with it, you can usually assume if a game is protected it has an ATIP check in it, either play it in a CD/DVD-ROM drive or play it in your burner with Hide CD-R media.

Looks like CloneCD ain’t try anymore for 1:1
In a way they are right it won’t last forever, but they could of squeezed a little more 1:1 life out of it.

Either way its a good release :wink:

Originally posted by Fr4nz
If you use the weak sector emulation, then you will have to activate also “hide cd-r media” in order to play your backup, or it won’t work!

So this ‘weak sector emulation’ option actually does nothing to the writing process, as I already could copy a CD using any software & then use emulation (DT) to get it to run.

Where’s the revolution mentioned in the news post & other thread? It contains updated emulation modes, for software whose whole existance came about because of an effort to not have to use emulation or cracks.

What’s the purpose of the new WSE writing option?

Why not just choose ignore?

If you’re gonna have to use emulation anyways, what’s the difference?