New cd drive design idea

As most of us know, pushing the tray of a cd drive is not the best way to close it. I always use the button to close it, but the problem is, the tray is in the way. My computer is in one of those desks that has a large compartment for the cpu at the bottom right.

Well when the drive is open i have to reach all the way over and under the tray to close it, all the time being worried about losing my balance and falling and ripping the tray right out of the drive.

On every cd/dvd drive ive ever seen, the open/close button is on the bottom right of the face of the drive. Thats inconvenient. It needs to be place on the left side perpendicular with the tray. It should be the same on the other side for users who computers sit to the left of them.

Anybody agree? On a side note, maybe they should make a remote control for opening and closing. That would be nice.

What about a button on the tray itself ?

now i like that idea:bigsmile:

Many notebook-drives do have the button on the tray. Two problems:

1. closing the tray while pushing the button can result in opening up again (many laptop drives do that)
  2. electronics have to be mounted in the tray, that could give problems…

Most burning programs close the tray automagically. There are also small utilities around which can do this for you. If I am not mistaken you can find such a utility on the site of CloneCD.

There’s nothing like giving your tray a nice slam! :slight_smile:

well, i am lazy, but i figure i would have to put a blank in the burner anyway so might as well close it while im there.

On every cd/dvd drive ive ever seen, the open/close button is on the bottom right of the face of the drive. Thats inconvenient. It needs to be place on the left side perpendicular with the tray. It should be the same on the other side for users who computers sit to the left of them.

Just open a CD drive and you will see the reson for the button place. To move it, they must redesign the whole unit.
And about the remote control? Take one from a TV tunner and use it to open a program who has an auto close option, select it and after that just close the program. Or if you don’t like this solution…just write the code for a resident program who will do that. Making this you will not open(and close) the program everytime.
And a remote control only for the CD unit? After a while you will find it annoing.