New case

Id like to swap out my hp case with new bigger roomier case… How hard would this be? Any helpful tips or links. :slight_smile:

It’s really not that hard.

Make sure that your motherboard type will fit in the case that you purchasing.

This is very important, especially if you don’t have a manual for your motherboard on hand. Pay attention to how all the wires connected and make sure that you have it the same way it is now after you have done the move.

Don’t be over aggressive when tightening the screws down for your motherboard.

:cool: :cool:

Just forget about your own case and go buy $50 case and get over with before you go through a hassle of swapping.

Generally, HP motherboards are proprietary.
The headers are designed only for the cases in which they are installed.
No diagrams or labels are provided which makes it virtually impossible to wire the connectors from a standard after market ATX case.

Power Supply may also be proprietary.
Although the motherboard connector may be 20-PIN, the wiring usually do not conform to that of the ATX design. As such, you cannot use an ATX power supply.

Other than that, physical fit should not be a problem as most of today’s cases are flexible enough to accommodate most boards.

In your case, no pun intended, you’ll have to install the motherboard and stare at it, as connecting wires to it may not be possible.

The last HP I bought (2003 or 2004) was a standard micro atx motherboard. Eventually changed the PSU on it as well.

As far as current, HP should have the motherboard model# listed under the support page for the computer, which you should then be able to find a manual containing the wire connection diagrams that will be needed.

Sorry i meant buy a new case -

If I were you I would buy a full tower case with reliable power supply that would give give lots of space to work with, better circulation and room for future expansion.

I just had an HP Media Center on my bench last week (don’t recall the model number). Although the power supply was a standard 24-PIN ATX unit, the motherboard was proprietary.

I was an ASUS board not supported by ASUS (or listed on ASUS web site) and minimal support from HP, except for features listing.

The system was running Windows XP Media Center on a proprietary ASUS board with an Intel C2D CPU. The board supported PCI Express X16, PCI Express, SATA II and DDR2 667 memory.

It was determined that the board was faulty due to a power surge.
The problem was that the power headers on the motherboard were not labelled, and the connectors from the case terminated into a single connector which could only be attached to the header one way. No labels on the wires. This eliminated the option of replacing the motherboard with a standard Micro ATX board.

The only options were to replace the existing board with the exact same board or to migrate the other components to a new case. The Media Center components were also proprietary and could not be used in any other case, so this option would negate the Media Center option.

The optical drives had faceplates that only matched the HP case and the floppy was proprietary with no face plate. None of these would be useable in a new case.

The only components which could be migrated were the SATA hard drive,PCI Express X16 video card, and possibly the memory.

i have run into the problem of the rear I/O panel being a different configuration to what i have in most of the cases that i have looked at. It seems that the components on my I/O panel can not be moved around they are on a card attached to the mobo…Can i just use my panel on the new case? Anyone ran into this problem?

Yes the plate can be removed and yours take its place, but if you’re thinking of putting all the components from your HP into a new case, you had better really do your homework that all will fit.
I research this before, on a 1999 HP and it was not even close to being worth the hassle. I just upgraded that one the best I could and then just bought a new, faster pre-built. And of course, my latest was my own build…well worth it, spec-wise as well as gratifying… :wink:

well its probably an 02 hp. It has a Miro ATX board. Nemesys said hp made the boards so you couldnt upgrade but looking at my board it looks pretty straight forward

I’m afraid you may have misunderstood me.
I am not aware of HP making any motherboards. They are usually made my prominent motherboard manufacturers specifically for certain models. These motherboards are never supported by the original manufacturers and the only support provided by HP is usually a feature list.

My intention was to create awareness as to the pitfalls of such upgrades base on my experiences. The I/O panel can usually be migrated to a new case but not always. Due to the proprietary design on some HP cases, the I/O panel [B][U]may[/U][/B] not be the same size and shape as that of a standard ATX panel.

Pay attention to the motherboard header. Make sure that the connections for the power switch, reset switch, power LED and hard drive LED are clearly labelled. This is one of the major determining factors as to whether or not the motherboard can be migrated to a new case.

It is not always as straight forward as it appears. Although each situation can be different and present different challenges, it is usually not worth the hassle.

Damn Nemesys, Overclocking @ 3.66!!..Impressive. :wink:

I hope to get there as soon as I go from stock cooling to something more able to sustain your kind of overclocking… :clap: :wink:

Thanks for the help and info… I leaning towards just building a new system.

You’ll be much more satisfied and pleased… :wink: :clap:

Thanks MBK.

While it’s completely stable at 3.6GHz on Windows XP, Windows Vista is a bit more finicky.
Random freezes and restarts on Windows Vista dictates that I run it at 390 X 9 (3.5 GHz).

Just get an ATX case with a PSU of at least 550 Watts and build a nice PC. Keep the old one to use whenever you are working on the new one, and you will be able to test hardware whenever a problem is suspected by switching between the two PC’s. You life will be joyfully easier.