New buyer -- 812S (or) 851S?

vbimport

Hi all:

I’m in the market for a new DVD burner.

I was looking at LiteOn and saw the 812S on newegg. Also read about the 851S on this forum .

• What is the major diff between the two ?
  • Which online merchants ( reliable ones ! ) carry the 851S ?
  • Since 851 looks like a newer model ( increasing model number ? ), should I assume that its better ? Or just stick with the 812S ?
  • Also do any of these burners have the DVD rip speed limited to 2x ( with their original firmware ?) – like many new DVD burners ?

Appreciate your responses.
Thanks for a great forum :slight_smile:

Very counter-intuitive, but the 812S is newer. The last digit (the 2) is a better indicator of the drive’s generation than the 2nd digit. If I were you, I’d get the 812S. LiteOn DVD burners do not have video riplocks in the original FW. :slight_smile:

812S Pros:

• Can support 8x -R
  • Can be (illegally) “upgraded” to support dual-layer
  • Newer

812S Cons:

• More expensive than the 851S

851S Pros:

• Cheaper than 812S

851S Cons:

• Can’t do 8x -R (can do 8x +R)
  • DL “upgrade” is questionable.

is it really illegal to upgrade the drive to dual layer?

Originally posted by Hans Gruber

Good question. Depends on who you ask, I guess. :wink: Ask the company, and they’ll most likely say yes (can probably invoke something regarding intellectual property, as firmwares might be considered as such)

And then others will say, “this is no different than a car owner sprucing up their car.”

One thing is for sure, it will void your warranty.

warranties were made to be voided :wink:

Originally posted by code65536
[B]Good question. Depends on who you ask, I guess. :wink: Ask the company, and they’ll most likely say yes (can probably invoke something regarding intellectual property, as firmwares might be considered as such)

And then others will say, “this is no different than a car owner sprucing up their car.”

One thing is for sure, it will void your warranty. [/B]

Awesome - thanks code2^16 :slight_smile:

So the FW to “upgrade” to DL exist today or is it in the works and would be available in the future ?

I hear about quality issues in 812S( compared to NEC 2500 ) =
As long as I feed it branded Ritek ( RiDATA/G04 ) discs, the 812S should work well - correct ?

I would like a lite-on ( just for kProbe :slight_smile: ).

Thanks for clarifying that 812S is newer – I didn’t know these numbering schemes !

Well, the “upgrade” was recently done and confirmed to work for DL in an Anandtech review. Prior to this, certain people (our moderator OC-Freak) has done the “upgrade”, but due to a lack of DL media, tested it only with single-layer media.

The quality issues really aren’t that much of a concern as long as you steer clear of bad media. The G04 is okay (I’ve successfully burned through a spindle of it already), though if you could find +R media at the same price, I’d personally go for the +R (because +R is a better format and because +R tends to burn a wee bit better than -R on LiteOn drives).

Originally posted by Hans Gruber

I wouldn’t think so as the SOHW 832S is going to be ready for Dual Layer. Mines coming tomorrow. I have to wait for the firmware to upgrade.

The quality issues really aren’t that much of a concern as long as you steer clear of bad media. The G04 is okay (I’ve successfully burned through a spindle of it already), though if you could find +R media at the same price, I’d personally go for the +R (because +R is a better format and because +R tends to burn a wee bit better than -R on LiteOn drives).

Thanks again – that’s what I’ve always done - keep off suspect media :slight_smile:
My current burner is a really old (2x) -R only … so I still have a spindle of Ritek/G04 to finish.
I’ll definitely give +R a try once its done :slight_smile:

Now let me start price hunting for the 812S :slight_smile:

CD Freaks bargain basement reports it selling for $85 at Newegg. :slight_smile:

CD Freaks bargain basement reports it selling for $85 at Newegg. :slight_smile:

Thanks !
Is newegg a reputed merchant in the opinion of members here ?
Seems to be a good price :slight_smile:

Newegg is one of the best online dealers in the US.

Originally posted by ClayBuster
[B]http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2121.html

Newegg is one of the best online dealers in the US. [/B]

Thanks claybuster …

Well, the “upgrade” was recently done and confirmed to work for DL in an Anandtech review.

Do you have that link? I’d like to take a look at it :iagree:

Originally posted by Ssseth
Do you have that link? I’d like to take a look at it :iagree:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=94915
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=94950

I suppose I could have finished reading all the new posts before asking hey?

Thanks. :smiley: