I’ve been a satisfied owner of a Plextor PX-W1210S SCSI drive since 2001.
I’ve managed burning hundreds of CD-Rs and I’ve always been using lots of CD-RW for my backups and for my music experiments.
No problems at all, NEVER lost any single CD, despite my habit of using any kind of application (also heavy ones) during burning sessions.
Using CD-RW for making audio CDs, I’ve always burned them at 4x, even if they could be burned at 8x or even 10x.
Being confident in Plextor quality, I bought earlier this year a PX-716A, having to choose an IDE drive because SCSI ones seem to be extinct. So now I have both burners in my PC.
The new drive IS working, but I had some surprises which really annoyed me.
First, I immediately noticed a visible decrease in building quality.
Second, I can not work as I used to during burning sessions, as the drive buffers suddenly gets empty and the burning process simply hungs, forcing me to reboot the system.
Third (and most annoying of all), I simply can not burn my audio CD-RWs any more unless I burn them at maximum speed; lower speeds simply are not available. Like buying a Ferrari and finding out you can not drive at 100km/h but only at 240!
Obviously I tried and checked everything: DMA settings, Drive settings, different burning softwares, latest and previous firmware and so on (I think I know PCs pretty well). Nothing.
My older burner seems to be far more robust and reliable.
I’m using the new one only for DVD-RW backups; not bad, for such an expensive toy…