New burner advice and also the fabled 'Gamecube disc reading drive' info?

OK, I am getting some stuff from eBuyer and I will end up getting free p&p so my choice is from this list, and it has to be black.

I don’t need anything fancy, just reliable so £15-20 one will be fine. My brother swears by Pioneer for reliability - I’ve had some experience with LiteOns and IMO they aren’t very reliable, but I wanted to see what you lot think.

One thing that occurred to me is that I am aware that a select few drives - all LG IIRC - will actually read and rip Gamecube games. I have been interested in backing up my GC collection for a long time now, so if anyone has any advice to offer on this, I am ALL EARS - if eBuyer has a drve that can do it, I’ll be over the moon but I will look elsewhere for it, too. I believe that a reader is all I need for that, and I am getting a reader to so if anyone is aware of any reader or burner that can do this Gamecube malarkey I would really appreciate it.

OK look seriously, forget the Gamecube thing, I can try and muddle through that myself.

Anyone got any recommendations (in black) from the above link?

Yeah. The Pioneer 115D @ £16.91 inc. VAT :slight_smile:

I’m well happy with mine.

Failing that, the Optiarc 7200A has had some good comments here.

Never heard of Optiarc.

Well, unless anyone else has anything to add, Pioneer it is. Cheers. :wink:

Actually I am looking at the LG drives just to match my reader drive… however I’m lead to believe that they’re a bit crap. Opinions?

@ groovemeister,

Never ‘Heard’ of Sony or NEC ?

Sony NEC Optiarc ->

Sony NEC Optiarc Inc is a 55/45 (Sony 55%, NEC 45%) joint venture of Sony and NEC Corporation, and was established in April 2006. The company’s business is the design and manufacturing of optical disk drives, primarily for the OEM desktop and notebook PC markets ->

http://www.sonynec-optiarc.com/

The CD Freaks Forum has a dedicated NEC/Optiarc DVD Burner Forum ->

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f86/

Regards,
bjkg

I never heard of it because I’m ignorant!

Does someone mind answering the LG question - how good they are a drives?

[QUOTE=groovemeister;2025179]Never heard of Optiarc.

Well, unless anyone else has anything to add, Pioneer it is. Cheers. :wink:

Actually I am looking at the LG drives just to match my reader drive… however I’m lead to believe that they’re a bit crap. Opinions?[/QUOTE]

See bjkg’s post on the Sony/NEC/Optiarc drives :wink:

As for LG. I’m quite a fan myself, I like them. The H62N (latest LG drive in our family) does seem to have a problem with CDRs burned at high speeds though (don’t know if that’s been fixed by the one and only firmware update)…brilliant for DVD though. :slight_smile:

@ groovemeister,

Forum Member Arachne suggested the Optiarc 7200A. I provided a Web Link to the CD Freaks NEC/Optiarc DVD Burner Forum. If you visit the NEC/Optiarc DVD Burner Forum you will note that the CD Freaks NEC/Optiarc DVD Burner Forum has a very detailed Optiarc AD-7200A DVD Burner Review ->

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f86/cd-freaks-presents-optiarc-ad-7200a-dvd-burner-review-240619/

Regards,
bjkg

Thank you, I will look at all the drives, however I’m not a fan of anything developed by Sony in terms of longevity.

[quote=groovemeister;2025404] however I’m not a fan of anything developed by Sony in terms of longevity.[/quote]Sony develops face plates for drives they buy from other manufacturers :bigsmile:

I bought an Optiarc, big mistake

It failed to burn any CD/DVD out of the wrapper, plugged in my old reliable Pioneer it worked

Tried to update the firmware on the Optiarc, it refused to accept the official latest firmware using the official firmware updater from their website

It didn’t cost much but thats not the point, I bought the Optiarc as I’ve had an NEC burner that was very good, but was reluctant due to Sony being involed, so thats another brand I won’t touch ever

I now use a Samsung S203B SATA, the burns are very high quality, comparing graphs before and after with my Pioneer burner, using DVDInfo Pro their is hardly any movement in the graph, I thought the Pioneer was good but the Samsung is much better

Be warned though that Samsung appeared to have a bad reputation for quality burns with previous models, going off reviews on here, but the 203B shows to me its been fixed

But again, I might have had a duff drive, but they lost a customer for ever due to that failing out the box, and a failure to burn any CD or DVD for first disc is not acceptable, especially as all I did was swap drives and yes they were on their own IDE cables, so I know it was the drive

If you still want to backup your original GC/Wii games, their is only a very specific range of LG DVD-ROM drives that can rip them correctly as it needs specific commands to be in the firmware to bypass normal reading modes, using RawRead v2.0. I have an LG 8164B. You can still buy them new

I’d look at the LG drives for prices and features, but the Plextor would be better if you’re looking for quality of burns over speed. Saving 3-4 minutes isn’t as important to me than good quality burns. I prefer quality over speed

Thanks . I bought a Pioneer in the end - looks nicer, too!

I am still looking into LG readers though. I would really like to get a new black one ideally.

[QUOTE=groovemeister;2026884]Thanks . I bought a Pioneer in the end - looks nicer, too!

I am still looking into LG readers though. I would really like to get a new black one ideally.[/QUOTE]

Congrats on your new Pioneer :clap:

If you’re wanting a black LG, our H62N (SATA) is black (it’s a retail package, so has silver and beige faceplates too)…however, some of the “brown box” LG drives I’ve bought in PC World have also had additional faceplates.

Thanks, but I meant that I’m after an LG that can specifically read Gamecube discs - these are few and far between.

Se: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f91/fabled-gamecube-ripping-lg-drives-ones-241953/