New build

vbimport

Hey guys,
I have a new build and almost finished. I waiting on 2 drives. the first on is a velociraptor 2.5 in, 10,000 rpm, sata 3.0, and 300GB. I want to use this drive for my boot up and to store my most commmon apps like office, anti virus, and a few others. The 2nd drive is a 2 TB 7200 rpm sata 6.0 which I’ll use for music, pics, ect.
Which is the best way to set this up?

Hi george00

The best way is as you described it, boot and install your programs from the Velociraptor, and store all your data in the 2tb drive.

Once your OS is installed on the Velociraptor, I recommend moving your user profile folders to the 2TB hard disk. To do this in Windows 7, go into your Start Menu and click your user name (top-right below the avatar.) Right-click on ‘My Music’ (or ‘Music’) and select ‘Cut’. Go into your 2TB hard disk and paste it. Repeat for the ‘My Pictures’ folder.

When you cut & paste these folders, Windows will automatically update its profile paths to point to the new locations, so if you let’s say go into Start -> Pictures, it will open the pictures folder on the 2TB hard disk. The same goes with using the “Import pictures” wizard, as Windows will now automatically store pictures in the new location. This needs to be done before you install third party software (e.g. iTunes) as some software will complain if profile folders are moved after they are installed.

thanks…this should help me with what im looking for

[QUOTE=george00;2675582]thanks…this should help me with what im looking for[/QUOTE]

Let us all know how you get on.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Seán;2675571]Once your OS is installed on the Velociraptor, I recommend moving your user profile folders to the 2TB hard disk. To do this in Windows 7, go into your Start Menu and click your user name (top-right below the avatar.) Right-click on ‘My Music’ (or ‘Music’) and select ‘Cut’. Go into your 2TB hard disk and paste it. Repeat for the ‘My Pictures’ folder.

When you cut & paste these folders, Windows will automatically update its profile paths to point to the new locations, so if you let’s say go into Start -> Pictures, it will open the pictures folder on the 2TB hard disk. The same goes with using the “Import pictures” wizard, as Windows will now automatically store pictures in the new location. This needs to be done before you install third party software (e.g. iTunes) as some software will complain if profile folders are moved after they are installed.[/QUOTE]
Great tip Seán! I’ve been doing it manually by Right-Click the Folder -> Properties -> Location. ‘Cut-n-Paste’ sounds lots quicker.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2675667]Great tip Seán! I’ve been doing it manually by Right-Click the Folder -> Properties -> Location. ‘Cut-n-Paste’ sounds lots quicker.[/QUOTE]

I finally got the 2 drives in and they work. I portioned the 2 tb drive to volume E. Im also using win 8. I went to libraries and tried to right click to cut and cut wasn’t there??? Under libraries where docs, music, pictures, and videos. any more advice?

You need to go into your user profile to cut & paste its folders. As Windows 8 doesn’t have a Start menu, this is how you get to your user profile folders:

Go into Libraries and click ‘Desktop’ on the left (as ‘1’ Below)
Then go into the folder with your username (as ‘2’ below showing ‘Sean’ for me)

You should see something like the following, where you can cut & paste the Pictures, Music, etc. folders to a hard disk:

For those with Windows XP/Vista/7 or have a Start menu installed (Classic Shell shown here), an easier way to get into your user profile is by clicking Start and your username:

Why didn’t you get an ssd instead of the velociraptor??

The last 2yr generations of ssds would smoke the WD 10k rpm drive.