New build questions

vbimport

Now that I have the hardware installed (cpu, memory, floppy, dvd/rw, and hdd) and have hopefully correctly connected the necessary wiring, what should I see on the monitor if all goes well when I turn it on for the FIRST time?

This is my very first build so I wanted to start a post for help if (and being a pessimest I know I’ll need it) and when I need it.

Do I have to do anything to get the BIOS to come up…assuming the mobo is happy.?

What do I need to do in the BIOS?

I’ll be installing Windows XP Home OEM from NewEgg.

Wish me luck…I’m gonna need it…and standby for more questions…Please!

if everything is hooked up right you will see it loading the Bios,Checking Memory,checking to see what hardware it can detect, ( hard drive,cd-rom,dvd-rom,etc ) Then it will look for an OS to load,if there isn’t one most newer mobo will go straight to asking you if you want it to load from CD,if it does not ask you will have to go into the bios and tell it to start from CD first instead of HDD

Before you start you should have an idea of how you are going to format your drive, are you going to partition it or not ( depends on how big it is and what you are planning to do with this computer )

There usually always someone around to answer questions Good Luck

bean55

Thanks for responding bean55…yes, I have a 300GB Maxtor SATA 1.5Mbps HDD and I guess it should be partitioned. Do I do the partitioning in the BIOS or after I install the OS?

I could use your advise on partitioning the HDD.

[B]Hope to hear from you real soon, I’m ready to turn it on right now.[/B]

[QUOTE=burnselk;2005399]Thanks for responding bean55…yes, I have a 300GB Maxtor 1.5Mbps HDD and I guess it should be partitioned. Do I do the partitioning in the BIOS or after I install the OS?

I could use your advise on partitioning the HDD.

[B]Hope to hear from you real soon, I’m ready to turn it on right now.[/B][/QUOTE]Did you get a CD with your hard drive?

When you start it up go into the bios and set the first boot device to your CD/DVD drive with that hard drive CD disc in the CD/DVD drive. If your not going to partition it then format to NTFS. After that then put Windows disc in and load it. Then load your mobo drivers.

I usually give my OS 30 or 40 gig partition. Up to you.

[quote=Bob;2005407]

Did you get a CD with your hard drive?

Yes I did, the CD is called “MaxBlast 4”.

When you start it up go into the bios and set the first boot device to your CD/DVD drive with that hard drive CD disc in the CD/DVD drive.

Since I installed a floppy (don’t know why), shouldn’t I set the first boot device to the floppy…or no? Maybe I should just remove the floppy.

I usually give my OS 30 or 40 gig partition. Up to you.

How about dividing the 300GB HDD into three 100GB partitions or five 60GB partitions? Why do you partition your’s into such small partitions? I’d like to learn about that. Maybe I should partition it into five 60GB partitions. Three or five partitions? And when is this done? After the OS is installed or before is that what the MaxBlast disk is for…to partition the hdd drive?

Please stay with me guys…I’m doing it as soon as I get your responses. Thanks

Bob;If your not going to partition it then format to NTFS.

I don’t understand this Bob…could you explain?

Sounds like if I don’t partition the hdd I’ll need to format it to NTFS…I don’t know what this means.

If I partition the hdd…do I need to worry about formating it to NTFS?

You can keep the floppy. If you need it for partitioning then yes set bios for the floppy 1st.

I would just set bios to your CD/DVD drive 1st for now. Then when you get windows installed then set bios to your hard drive 1st.

I just have a 30 or 40 gig partition for my OS then use the rest for storage. That way if i have to format my OS partition it won’t effect the rest of my storage.

[QUOTE=burnselk;2005418]I don’t understand this Bob…could you explain?

Sounds like if I don’t partition the hdd I’ll need to format it to NTFS…I don’t know what this means.

If I partition the hdd…do I need to worry about formating it to NTFS?[/QUOTE]NTFS is the file system you tell the drive to use. Yes you will need to at least do that. I don’t think hard drives are formated already.

So, would it be best if I partitioned my 300gig hdd into one 40gig and one 260gig …or divide the remaining 260gig into smaller partitions…like four 65gig partitions…can that be done?

I guess I really don’t understand the rationale for partitioning hdd’s. Could someone elaborate on this?

Again, [U]when[/U] do I actually do the “partitioning”?

40-260 would be ok. I think you can only have 4 partitions to one hard drive.

Like i said if you need to format your drive with the OS on it…if you leave it all one drive you will loose your OS and everything else with it. If you partition it and have just OS on it you will just loose the OS and not other stuff on the storage partition. Best way i can explain it sorry.

You partition before you load anything on the hard drive.

When you start up ,Windows will ask you where to load Windows and if you want to partition. All you need to do at this time is to get it to do the main C partition at your choice ( 60 Gig is a good number for me ),You can partition the rest after you get windows all set up.After it formats IN NTFS and loads files it will be asking you other questions, pretty straight forward.
Smaller partitions are good for defraging them quickly vs a large partition that may take you longer.A lot of this is by preferance and what you are going to do with the computer. I have 1 partition of 120 gig for Music 1 = 220 Gig partition for Movies and the rest is for working on movies or music

bean55

I always partition when i install a drive then it is done but yeah i guess you can later.

I do not partition my storage drives though. I have two 320gig Seagate SATA II drives like that and defrag is fine using O&O.

Bob

You are correct in not partitioning storage drive’s I have an extra 500 g for storage. As for partitioning the mainHDd I usually wait till everything else is done so i only do it once, that’s just me.In case things go wrong why waste the time upfront.

bean55

yeah we all have our own way of doing things :slight_smile:

I just now went thru all of my BIOS settings and compared the settings with the Mobo manual…all seem to be set right…mostly default.

One thing that’s odd to me…my SATA HDD showed up in the BIOS as a “Slave” drive…how can that be? I only have one 300GB SATA drive installed (1.5Gbps)…shouldn’t it be Master? The jumper on the back pins are set to Master…I double checked that. It also showed the SATA HDD as a IDE device…not SATA device.

Also, after I went thru the entire BIOS settings…checking it against the mobo manual…when I went to exit the BIOS by hitting Enter…I got a black screen with a bunch of numbers…something about PCI…then at the very bottom of the screen…it said:

Boot from CD/DVD
Boot from CD/DVD (this was listed twice)
Book Disk Failure
Insert System Disk and Press Enter

Question: am I to insert my new Windows XP disk?

Have I messed up somewhere along the way? I’m concerned about continuing on without some guidance.

What should I do at this point?

Maybe I’m just too concerned but decided to stop at this point and ask some questions.

Help please…

Boot from CD/DVD
Boot from CD/DVD (this was listed twice)
Book Disk Failure
Insert System Disk and Press Enter

This is where it wants to start loading your OS Windows XP

bean55

Is the XP disc scratched? It sounds like it is or it is a copy of an XP program. This can only be the issue since this happens when you fire up the machine and there isn’t an OS on it yet. Also you said you change the settings to master on the 300 gig SATA drive? I doubt it as there is no such settings.

Here are two picture I took of the screen which shows what I’m talking about:

The first one is the top shot of the screen…saying something about PCI Devices Listing…

The second picture is the bottom shot of the screen…where it shows the Boot Disk Failure, etc.

Hope these two pictures come thru…

I hope I didn’t mess anything up while I was in the BIOS checking the settings.

Bad disc is the issue from what I see.

Was the disc in the computer at this time ? Or had you not put it in yet?
bean55