New Build Problems with Lite-On SH-16A7S-06

vbimport

I have built 3 computers in the past year, but I have never used a SATA CD/DVD ROM drive before to install the OS. I am installing the following components in a New Build Computer.

Aspire X-Plorer Steel Case - Black/Blue
ULTRA 550W X2-Connect Power Supply - Titanium w/ Blue UV
ABIT AN8 32X Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI X16 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 4000
BFG GeForce 7600 GT OC “only one, but plan to buy a second card”
Western Digital / Caviar SE / 250GB / 7200 / 8MB / SATA-300 / OEM / Hard Drive
MASSCOOL 80MM K8 FAN 5F531B1M3CG
LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-16A7S-06
CARD RD LINKSKEY LKA-CR15BW R
OCZ Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel
Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition SP2b 1pk w/Upgrade Coupon for Vista

Once I turn on the computer, I put the formatting CD that came with my SATA 250GB Western Digital HDD in the CD/DVD to format the drive before installing the OS. The “boot from CD” is displayed and when it tries to load up the disk it tells me that there is an error. The screen is displaying a message that no drivers could be found for the CD ROM or that the cables are not connected properly. And it outputs an A:\ prompt, from here I have to shut down and go to my BIOS. Once in the BIOS, I check to see if the DVD/CD burner is detected and it is. Everything looks like it should I think, is there something in the BIOS I need to change to detect the CD/DVD Rom? Should I buy an extra cd rom without the SATA connectors just to load the OS? The instructions that come with Windows should already have the drivers needed to run the drive. Problem is that I don’t have OS installed yet.

I’m not sure what’s the problem but I seldom had a good experience with a non-Intel ATA controller. Did you searched through the forum if other people experienced problems with that drive and nVidia SATA controllers?

is the hdd brand new and not formatted? i have the WD 36GB Raptor with a MSI mobo and have no issues doing a format and reinstall of windows at anytime. have you tried just booting with the windows cd and see what happens? hope it works out for ya.

yes, it is brand new right out of the retail box from BestBuy, but it came with a CD which i thought i needed to use to format the hard drive? I am going to try and just put the windows XP CD in and see what happens. thanks

You can format the HD from the XP setup.

yeah i tried searching allday long and i couldnt find much, in seems since the SATA CD/DVD drives are fairly new still, that they are a pain in the A**i might just have to buy a ide hard drive instead of sata if i cant get it working

My nForce 4 board has a NVIDIA SATA controller with IDE compatibility mode. Without drivers, the SATA ports look like a bunch of IDE channels in the Device Manager. :flower:

Same with my ATi board. :slight_smile:

No compatibility mode needed with Intel 946GZ chipset.

This topic belongs to some of the general forum sections, because the main question here is not related to Liteys only.

[I]Arachne and kg_evilboy[/I], all SATA chipset have this basic function generic (until you install SATA/raid drivers).
[I]ageha[/I], it was actually $ntel that invented AHCI protocol.

Because TP doesn’t have a IDE CD/DVD drive or floppy on his hands, it all depends on if his version of XP OS is able to install propper SATA drivers.

I’m sure the OP didn’t know that, and that the Optical Drive Forum mods will move the thread if required. :wink:

Thanks for the info re: SATA/IDE BTW.