New build - need a little audio advice / understanding

Hi guys,

Wonder if you could answer some questions I have about the new build I have put together.

I discussed the build here;

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f7/new-pc-build-dvd-collection-need-some-help-264845/

I’m now all up and running, and aside from feeling very rewarded and proud of myself that I managed to put things together with relative ease, there are a couple of things that I need some assistance or direction on.

This is the build I ended up with;

1 Koutech IO-PSA420 32-bit PCI SATA II Controller Card

1 AVerMedia AVerTV Combo PCIe ATSC/NTSC/QAM TV Tuner Card (White Box)w/L-P Bracket 7 95522 96058 0 PCI-Express x1 Interface

1 ICY DOCK MB455SPF-B Multi-Bay Backplane Module - Retail

1 Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive -

1 SeaSonic S12 Energy Plus SS-550HT 550W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

1 LG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner w/ SecurDisc Tech Black SATA Model GH20NS15 1 COOLER MASTER Stacker 830 Evolution RC-830-KKN3-GP Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

1 GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
1 CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-8500C5 - Retail

1 Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core

1 HIS Hightech H465FS512P Radeon HD 4650 512MB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail

I have 4 more fans and 3 more burners on order - but that’s neither here nor there.

My main questions revolve around the audio. As this is an htpc I was considering a couple of solutions. I have ripped a few DVD’s with no problem and super-quickly and am successfully streaming to my PS3 using TwonkyMedia/Tversity.

But I wanted to consider the possibility of bypassing the PS3.
I have HD output on the video card - albeit the older plug - but have an adapter to HDMI. I plug this into my HDTV which should handle the picture, but Im unsure about the sound aspect?

When I installed the motherboard I had what looked like multiple options for connecting; azalia, ac97 and HD audio. I chose to plug the pin connector for the latter as there was a clear place for it on the mb. …

What I don’t understand is the best way to output HD quality sound now from the htPC?.. there are a whole bunch of coloured speaker outputs on the mb, and even the orange Digital Audio Out… the board included a mini-phono jack to red-and-white-rca adaptor, so I plugged that in one of the speaker outlets and connected to my ht receiver… all i get is 2 of the channels :confused:

I guess I need to know firstly whether I installed the connection to the motherboard correctly (did i need to do something to enable the digital audio out) and also what i should be using to output to the ht receiver.

it seems strange to me, but if they have speaker connections for what looks like 7.1 audio, is it really good enough for whole-room sound? - I though that’s why we buy receivers…)…

Anyway, there’s a lot there - and I appreciate any assistance you can give me on what I am doing wrong or what my options are.

Many thanks,
gajit.

The RCA cables can only give you 2-channel analog output. What you want to do is use the DVI-HDMI adapter for your video card. Then go to the realtek webpage and follow the links for the “HD Audio Codec Driver”, when you get to the actual download page there is an option to also download the “ATI HDMI Audio Device” driver. You should configure this to allow ‘digital audio pass through’ operation so that hi-def or digital sound can be transmitted through your HDMI cable. An alternative way is to use the ouput of your video card to just output video, and connect a digital ouput of the MB (either the optical digital or coaxial digital) connectors to your receiver amplifier.

Great!

So those DVI-type adaptors do possess the ability to pass audio also?
I thought I read that they were the earlier form of HDMI and only supported video?.. Or am I confusing very similar-LOOKING connectors?

But that’s great, I’ll grab the drivers and set it up, and probably try the digital out option also.

I do have a question about the the TVcard/ and the strategy for using tvcards in general - I won’t hijack this thread, and will post a separate question.

Thanks for your help!

Best solution is to use HDMI (requires adapter) to your AV Reciever.
Pretty much works out of the box so it’s not that hard :wink:
//Danne

Just re-read the original article where it spec’d the original build…

"Note that the sound works by you running an S/PDIF digital audio cable from your motherboard to the video card. The video card then consolidates that audio signal in to the HDMI port so you only need a single HDMI cable going from your video card to the HDTV. "

Seems the plan was to connect the S/PDIF connection on the mobo to the video card, which I think is kinda where eric93se was going. But that solution means that the audio signal is handled by the graphics adaptor and pushed out of the hdmi port.

I just looked at the the video card I have, and there is no audio s/PDIF input on it that I can see… i hope that isn’t an oversight on my part…

I’m trying to get ahead of the game and make sure I have the necessary connectors/pieces on hand for when i get back to the machine.

@eric93se
does your solution mean that with the installed software, that the digital audio will be translated from media, through the mobo and out through the HDMI output of the video adaptor? not sure i understand how that works… (and frankly, i don’t need to as long as i have everything i need…)…

i just checked the originally spec’d card, and it indeed was a better spec;

as it was a deactivated, i had sought advice on an alternative - and i never considered checking the recommendations for s/PDIF… arggh… :confused:

Because it doesn’t work that way on ATi cards.
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2227330]Because it doesn’t work that way on ATi cards.
//Danne[/QUOTE]

ok, so i think i understand, eric’s method will work. the hd audio driver will essentially do the work necessary to have the HDMI output the audio.

cool. i’ll have a go when i get home tomorrow.

Another note is that once you install the HD audio drivers, make sure you select the HDMI audio in the “Sound and Audio Devices” since it will use the default audio ports from the motherboard. I had recently installed a 4350 and once that was enabled, the single HDMI cable went straight into the 52" LCD and both audio and video were present. Don’t have a 7.1 receiver at the moment, so can’t test that feature yet.

[QUOTE=gajit;2227370]ok, so i think i understand, eric’s method will work. the hd audio driver will essentially do the work necessary to have the HDMI output the audio.

cool. i’ll have a go when i get home tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I don’t have one myself LOL. Its just my understanding that it should work. But KTL just verified that it will work, so you should be good :smiley:

That Palit card looked like it would have been a good solution.

@ KTL

I have and it works fine :wink:

//Danne

Thanks guys. I appreciate all of the help and advice.

I’ll let you know how I get on!

OK, still having problems.

I loaded the Realtek drivers - looks like they had already been installed from the disk I had loaded, but just to be sure I removed them and rebooted and reinstalled.

I opened the Realtek HD Audio Manager and set S/PDIF-in to S/PDIF out passthrough mode.

I get nothing.

Interestingly enough, I tried unplugging the DVI-HDMI adaptor and placing in the other DVI port, and I get a message from ATI stating that it has detected that I am using an HDMI to DVI adaptor and that I must connect a separate audio output from the computer to the TV/receiver…

wtf?

I’mn going to be super-p***ed if this DVI output doesn’t support audio.

Could it be the adaptor cable that I purchased? Although one was supposed to be included with the graphics card, I didn’t receive one.

Please tell me it’s not the DVI port not able to pass audio… I did mention earlier in the thread that I thought I had read somwhere that that style of HDMI could only transmit video.

Could it be a Bios setting?

After doing a little research… looks like i’ve answered my own question…

Card did not ship with a DVI-HDMI adaptor as it should… so I had bought a generic DVI-HDMI cable - which won’t work.

Guess I’ll call newegg - not sure that’ll help.

Guess I’ll be popping the computer store in the morning…

I have a feeling you still didn’t install the proper driver, its not the HD audio driver, you need that AND the "ATI HDMI Audio Device R2.13 2008/12/31 16068k " from the same place where you download the audio driver.

No, you need a special adapter for DVI --> HDMI and the HDMI output doesn’t have any settings.
//Danne

Thanks.

@ eric
definitely have the HDMI drivers. (filename was HMDI_213.exe from the lin you provided (thanks) )

@dizzy - yep, i figure as much … hopefully i can pick oneup… looks like they are ATi-specific(?)…

HIS Hightech DVI to HDMI Adapter for HD4K Series $10, I’m sure shipping sucks. But this is the only one thats ‘meant’ for the HD4k series of video cards, I have a feeling they are the same though.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2228342]HIS Hightech DVI to HDMI Adapter for HD4K Series $10, I’m sure shipping sucks. But this is the only one thats ‘meant’ for the HD4k series of video cards, I have a feeling they are the same though.[/QUOTE]

Thanks eric. Just popped out to the local “computer” stores… and of course… no-one has one… I figured it’d be a newegg thing… and yep, shipping&handling ends up being more than the adaptor… what a pain…

update: i checked the box the adaptor came in, and indeed they have put a little strip over the line in the box contents that says “DVI-HDMI adaptor”. I called newegg, explained the issue and they are shipping me an adaptor at no cost to me:)

Thanks for your help guys!

3K and 4K-series are the same
//Danne