New Build in Progress

vbimport

I slowly but surely getting everything together for my new build.
Here is what I’ve purchased so far:
CASE - Phanteks Enthoo Pro Series ATX Full Tower $84.99
Motherboard - ASROCK Z170 Extreme 7 Plus $189.99 ($30.00 rebate coming so make that $159.99)
PSU - EVGA 210 GQ 1000W PSU $105.99
Video Card - EVGA GTX 980 TI FTW $589.00
Cooling - Corsair Hydro 240mm H100I GTX $8.91 (after using bestbuy gift cards)
OS - Windows 10 PRO $90.00

Total out of pocket so far $1038.88

Still on my list
CPU - I7 6700k $300.00
Samsung 950 PRO M-2 SSD 512GB $270.00
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD $200.00
Western Digital Black 2TB HDD $100.00
Gskill DDR4 3200 CL15 2x8gb memory $90.00
Pioneer BDR - Bluray burner $59.00

Total Pending $1019.00

With the water cooling on this setup, I should be able to run it 4.4 to 4.5 24x7 with the memory bumped up to 3200 @cl14. The GTX 980 TI FTW has already shown it overclocks very well on my SandyBridge system.

Any recommendations or thoughts on different components? I know there is some stuff that is a little faster or cheaper, but bang for buck, I think most of my stuff is right in the sweet spot. Once it is all built, I will probably get me a nice 27" gaming monitor for around $250.00

With memory being inexpensive have you thought about going with 32 or 64gb and setting up a RAM drive? I use one on my 32 bit Windows 10 work PC and it makes things very fast. I have 16gb installed and use about 12.5gb as a RAM drive. I cache the page file, temp directory etc. to it. I run Autocad a lot with multiple drawing open and it really sped things up. I have legacy hardware that require 32 bit drivers so that is why I am stuck with 32 bit. It wonder if a large RAM drive would give better performance than running a large amount of RAM. I know RAM drives run much, much faster than SSDs.

I did a lot of reading and it all came down to me not seeing much benefit from anything over 16gb, unless I was doing video transcoding or photoshop, and even photo forums said 16gb was easily sufficient. I will be going with 2 8gb sticks, so I can add more in the future.

With your auto ad stuff, I can see where you could utilize more.

I’m so far out of the loop on builds, I don’t really have much to say other than I’d like to see pics when you finally get around to putting it all together. This build is WAY over my budget when I think about rebuilding my main computer.

This looks really good Rob.

It is over my budget too. That is why I am buying each piece only when it is on a great sale, and a little each payday. So far I have been able to use gift cards from survey sites, and rebates. I have saved almost $150 just doing that.

My goal is to be able to hit a 4.9 stable OC. Then I will tune it down and run at 4.4 and leave the memory at 3200 cl14 and a mild Oc on the gtx 980 ti.

Does anybody need leaves raked. I need the extra money…

My entire goal is just to whoop Dee on scores on the 3dmark site. :cool:

You have a unique plan for the M.2 SSD + 2.5" SSD combination; any particular reason why you opted for this setup?

[QUOTE=harley2ride;2782476]
With the water cooling on this setup, I should be able to run it 4.4 to 4.5 24x7 with the memory bumped up to 3200 @cl14. The GTX 980 TI FTW has already shown it overclocks very well on my SandyBridge system.

Any recommendations or thoughts on different components? I know there is some stuff that is a little faster or cheaper, but bang for buck, I think most of my stuff is right in the sweet spot. Once it is all built, I will probably get me a nice 27" gaming monitor for around $250.00[/QUOTE]

Everything looks great, and with 16GB RAM you should be able to handle everything, video, photos or audio, also if there is a need you can add more RAM later.
I personally didnt see any difference from 4x4GB to 4x8GB, only more space to you as a RAM disk for tests.
I hope that you can get 4.4/4.5 with the 6700K, I was only able to get 4.3 on a 6600K (not my CPU), also you might want to save some money for better fans.
I am disappointed with the fans that Corsair ships with the H100i GTX, when they get close to their max speed they can be very loud, I am thinking on replacing them with some be quiet fan.

My two cents, hope that helps.

[QUOTE=Albert;2782517]You have a unique plan for the M.2 SSD + 2.5" SSD combination; any particular reason why you opted for this setup?[/QUOTE]

I plan to use the M2 for the OS, and some of the programs that I use a lot. The other SSD will have all my other apps and a very few files that I use often. The western digital black will be partitioned and used for backups, and files/music/photos.

This is similar to how I have stuff on my sandybridge system, and it has worked out very well.

[QUOTE=vroom;2782518]Everything looks great, and with 16GB RAM you should be able to handle everything, video, photos or audio, also if there is a need you can add more RAM later.
I personally didnt see any difference from 4x4GB to 4x8GB, only more space to you as a RAM disk for tests.
I hope that you can get 4.4/4.5 with the 6700K, I was only able to get 4.3 on a 6600K (not my CPU), also you might want to save some money for better fans.
I am disappointed with the fans that Corsair ships with the H100i GTX, when they get close to their max speed they can be very loud, I am thinking on replacing them with some be quiet fan.

My two cents, hope that helps.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I read a couple of reviews on my mobo and in multiple reviews they hit 4.8 to 4.9 stable.

Which fans did you end up getting and how do you like them…

I still have the ones that came with the cooler :frowning: I ma thinking about be quiet silent wings, a little expensive for my taste, and the last time that I used them they were very quiet.
However give the corsair fans a go you might find the sweet spot for them, best performance and also low noise, you can tweak the fan speed on the corsair link software.

Fingers crossed for 4.8, but anything above 4.5GHz and temps close to 60-65C is an excellent oc for me.

My only change would be if you are going to go with a closed loop, the H115i is a better choice, I do believe that case can fit it, its a 280mm with a 2X140mm fans. Same brand Corsair. Also its nice that the Asrock has more than 1 m.2 slot, you can Raid the 960 Pro.

[QUOTE=UTR;2782482]With memory being inexpensive have you thought about going with 32 or 64gb and setting up a RAM drive? I use one on my 32 bit Windows 10 work PC and it makes things very fast. I have 16gb installed and use about 12.5gb as a RAM drive. I cache the page file, temp directory etc. to it. I run Autocad a lot with multiple drawing open and it really sped things up. I have legacy hardware that require 32 bit drivers so that is why I am stuck with 32 bit. It wonder if a large RAM drive would give better performance than running a large amount of RAM. I know RAM drives run much, much faster than SSDs.[/QUOTE]

I think that using a large RAM drive can make it a little bit faster, but more insecure.
What you should take into consideration is that the current operating systems use memory extensively as long as it is available to cache programs which makes for quick startups. Personally, I use SSD and have a 2GB ram-drive for temporary files only. More on that here.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2782527]My only change would be if you are going to go with a closed loop, the H115i is a better choice, I do believe that case can fit it, its a 280mm with a 2X140mm fans. Same brand Corsair. Also its nice that the Asrock has more than 1 m.2 slot, you can Raid the 960 Pro.[/QUOTE]

I originally was looking at the Kraken X61. I checked some reviews and the results showed this corsair within 2 or 3 degrees at oc compared to the the Kraken and some others. And since I had Best Buy credit and could get the corsair for less than $9.00 out of pocket, the choice got easier.

[QUOTE=harley2ride;2782623]I originally was looking at the Kraken X61. I checked some reviews and the results showed this corsair within 2 or 3 degrees at oc compared to the the Kraken and some others. And since I had Best Buy credit and could get the corsair for less than $9.00 out of pocket, the choice got easier.[/QUOTE]
The Kracken X61 was just updated to the X62. But your choice is sound. I had a bit of an issue and had to build another computer. I also went with a closed loop, the PETG open loop with EKWB water blocks was just to much for my arthritis to handle again.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2782631]The Kracken X61 was just updated to the X62. But your choice is sound. I had a bit of an issue and had to build another computer. I also went with a closed loop, the PETG open loop with EKWB water blocks was just to much for my arthritis to handle again.[/QUOTE]

The name “Kraken” sure sounds cooler though.

[QUOTE=harley2ride;2782635]The name “Kraken” sure sounds cooler though.[/QUOTE]
If you really want to pimp that rig, a friend of mine has a business in Texas, he sells professional cable extensions with free cable combs and a whole lot of other stuff, that he actually makes himself. Fan grills, made to order, and he is not expensive. Take a look. Tell him Alan from Myce.com sent you. https://www.facebook.com/V1Tech/

[QUOTE=harley2ride;2782476]I slowly but surely getting everything together for my new build.
Here is what I’ve purchased so far:
CASE - Phanteks Enthoo Pro Series ATX Full Tower $84.99
Motherboard - ASROCK Z170 Extreme 7 Plus $189.99 ($30.00 rebate coming so make that $159.99)
PSU - EVGA 210 GQ 1000W PSU $105.99
Video Card - EVGA GTX 980 TI FTW $589.00
Cooling - Corsair Hydro 240mm H100I GTX $8.91 (after using bestbuy gift cards)
OS - Windows 10 PRO $90.00
CPU I7 6700k. $329.00
Gskill rip jaws ddr4 3200 cl14 2x 8. $119.00
Pioneer black bdr209dbk. $ 61.49
Samsung 950 pro 512gb. $285.65

Total out of pocket so far $1834.02

Still on my list
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD
Western Digital Black 2TB HDD

Any recommendations or thoughts on different components? I know there is some stuff that is a little faster or cheaper, but bang for buck, I think most of my stuff is right in the sweet spot. Once it is all built, I will probably get me a nice 27" gaming monitor for around $250.00[/QUOTE]

Update. Picked up enough of the rest of the build so I can actually start putting it together and do some testing.

Great price on the 950 Pro. Because the 960 Pro will be available in 6 days.

The all new Closed loop Kraken

//youtu.be/UHxDhHHgwrA