New Blue-Violet laser developed for next generation optical disks

vbimport

Sony Corporation and Tohoku University have announced development of a new laser for use in optical storage. The new format would have a capacity close to 20 times that seen in blu ray.

The story is here: http://www.examiner.com/x-16352-Japan-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m7d21-Sony-and-Tohoku-University-announce-next-generation-laser-for-disks

Even at 20 times the capacity of blu ray, this technology may never reach the public in my opinion. Hard drives and flash drives will outrun any optical storage size increases, and are already common in the market.

Yes. But flash is still expensive, and mechanical HDD’s are prone to failure :iagree:
A 1TB Violet Ray will be viable in 5 years - if they take 5 years to get it to market.

But I agree with your reasons.

I’ll also add the following:
When CD’s came out, they were 30x the average HDD.
When DVD’s came out, they were 1x the average HDD.
When Bluray came out, it was 1/10th the average HDD.
When Violet Ray comes out, will it be 1/30th of the average HDD?

Optical media is falling well behind other technologies in capacity and speed.

Others likened that capacity to not only easily fitting all of Lord of the Rings or Star Wars on one disk, but entire seasons of anime or TV shows like 24.

I know for a fact some people already have this on one disc. Hard disc that is!

[QUOTE=Oz.;2535651]I know for a fact some people already have this on one disc. Hard disc that is![/QUOTE] HDD’s need to be bigger :iagree:
But …