New Blu-ray burner / HD DVD drive

vbimport

Hi

1st post here in a long time

with HD DVD now dying i have just get my a 360 HD with 6 films for £35 and have since bagged another… (pants i just worked it out, in 3 days have baught 21 movies!, i darnt look at my bank balance!) :eek:

the theory is, when blu-ray / HDDVD multi drives come down in price in a year or so i will get one of those and have all bases covered in my media pc (which will by then have the horsepower for HD)

i know no one has a crystal ball, however was wondering, with HD DVD now officially dead, do you guys think there is a chance the multi drives will cease to exist?

i would be gutted to wait 18 months only to find out you can no longer get a combo drive, or, do you think that they will keep the support in there for that very reason?

Maybe there are some people in the industry on here who can make a more educated guess than myself :slight_smile:

I will be keeping an eye out, the second HDDVD gets dropped i will have to buy a bluray/DHDVD combo drive.

It would be a waste at the mo, as i dont think an Athon XP2500+ / 1GB and a 32mb Matrox G450 would cut the mustard for HDDVD!!!

cheers

M.

Samsung has abandoned their newest combo rig, LG says they will continues to support both formats for a long time, but hard to say.
There is about 1 million hd-dvd settop players and maybe the add ons in US home, maybe it’s world wide, but it is probably enough to make it worth while to produce a small scale run of combo units for a while, especially if your the only game in town.
I’d watch the demo/clearance sales and get a BD player cheap if possible, unless you just want to stick with PC based drives, then it’s the LG combo, either reader only or BD burner/Hd reader. Hopefully the price will come down. Friend who builds systems said he picked up the burner version through one of his suppliers for 325 US, dealer cost I’m sure.

[QUOTE=Dartman;2019776]Samsung has abandoned their newest combo rig, LG says they will continues to support both formats for a long time, but hard to say.
There is about 1 million hd-dvd settop players and maybe the add ons in US home, maybe it’s world wide, but it is probably enough to make it worth while to produce a small scale run of combo units for a while, especially if your the only game in town.
I’d watch the demo/clearance sales and get a BD player cheap if possible, unless you just want to stick with PC based drives, then it’s the LG combo, either reader only or BD burner/Hd reader. Hopefully the price will come down. Friend who builds systems said he picked up the burner version through one of his suppliers for 325 US, dealer cost I’m sure.[/QUOTE]

$325, yeah thats about the same as the uk (£175 for the dual one, a bit more than you guys, but then i am used to that :wink: )

looks like i will get getting an LG drive when i do then. the HD movies are just so cheap now, am seeing some placing selling HD DVD movies cheaper than SD DVD counterparts!!

Yeah, here they were blowing out HD-DVD player for 100 in late summer so I bought a A-2, then a few months later it was obvious HD was dying ao I bought a demo Panasonic BDP-10a for 169, so far between the 5 free and good sales I have almost 30 HD movies, and just got my very first BD movie.
The HD stuff is all on fire sale and everybody acts like their store will explode if the movies and players sit there much longer. Blu movies have pretty much stayed at 25 to 30 each, almost no sales or BOGO now that they’ve won, greedy bastards. I bought No Country For Old Men at Walmart here becuase it was 24, then I had a specific coupon that took another 10 off that one movie:bigsmile: That’s my first Blu Ray movie, very intense movie, doesn’t look or sound better or worse then my HD-DVD ones either.