**NEW** Bitsetting Plextor PX-708A using DVDInfo Pro!

Here’s the details for the latest version:

DVDInfoPro Full V3.29
Added DC Erase help and information to help file.
Added “complete media code” on to the tail of the “media info” command display.
Added bitsetting for Plextor and (oem such as TDK) drives.
Improved the function of re-setting “Auto Peak” setting after a scan had completed.
Improved spike suppression to pi/pif scanning routines.
Fixed a bug in the Benq pi/pif scanning auto scaling.
Fixed a bug in the Nu pi/pif scanner causing very high error rates to show 0 on pie.
Fixed the greyed out play button.
Fixed scaling starting at 20 instead of 10

Am I to assume that you can set the bitsetting for Plextor PX-708A without using Plextools Professional software?

-D j K i l l a-

I would assume so. But, once you set it in plextools (which IMHO is a better CD/DVD diagnostic program than any others out there) you do not have to set it again unless you want to change it back. You can open plextools then set it then close plextools and it will be set.

this is actually good becuase many people dont own a copy of plextools

Thanks for letting us know djkilla, added this info to the Plextor FAQ :wink:

what am I doing wrong. I updated firmware to 1.08, I installed DVDinfo pro, and it still says “Bitsetting not supported, 708A needs firmware 1.08+”

I didn’t get plextools with my drive so now what can I do?

If you own a plextor you should own plextools.

I have never heard of a plextor sold without plextools? There is a way to get it online if you register the drive though, not sure why it isnt freely distributable :confused:

Jamos wrote:

I have never heard of a plextor sold without plextools? There is a way to get it online if you register the drive though, not sure why it isnt freely distributable

From what I know is if you purchase a Plextor 708A burner in USA the Plextools is not included in the retail box. I didn’t have Plextools when I purchased my drive last November. I did the registry trick to enable PlexTools on my computer.

[b]To rprice54: Just download the latest PlexTools version 2.17 then read this thread on how to do the registry trick to enable Plextools:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=108613&page=2[/b]

I purchased a retail box Plextor 708a and it did not come with plextools nor can you download a copy from the plextor support site since the only thing available there is the full version which will not install if you dont allready have a previous version of plex tools installed. I solved my problem when I bought a 712a which DID come with Plex Tools.

Not sure why they do not just let you download the full version…it is not very useful to anyone who does not own a Plextor drive. Very Strange but coming from Plextor I am not suprised.

but specifically to the thread to show you how to get it to install if you lost your plextools cd or it did not come with your drive (as it should)…
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=708230&postcount=42\

But be forwarned, technically if your drive did not come with plextools (which I had a 708A and it did come with it so maybe you got ripped off from who you bought it from) it is not legal to have it on your system.

I purchased a retail box Plextor 708a and it did not come with plextools nor can you download a copy from the plextor support site since the only thing available there is the full version which will not install if you dont allready have a previous version of plex tools installed.

Hmmms…I’m able to download from my other computer the latest PlexTools version 2.17 from Plextor Europe download site. I don’t even have PlexTools or a Plextor DVD burner on that computer. The Plextor America only has PlexTools version 2.16

If others are having a problem downloading Plextools version 2.17 use the Plextor Europe download site instead. Here’s the link for it:

http://www.plextools.com/download/download.asp
the do the registry trick to enable PlexTools to work. :slight_smile:

I have never heard of a plextor sold without plextools?

When I first bought my 708A in the US, it didnt have Plextools, I learned about downloading and the Registry trick myself from online…

It was kinda strange that they don’t want you to have it, if you live in the US and have the 708A

DVD Addict,

oh you can download the latest version of plextools all day long but it wont install if it does not find a previous version of plextools allready installed on your machine. so you either have to do the registry hack or buy a 712a which includes plextools on the included software disk.

iss wrote:

DVD Addict, oh you can download the latest version of plextools all day long but it wont install if it does not find a previous version of plextools allready installed on your machine. so you either have to do the registry hack or buy a 712a which includes plextools on the included software disk.

Geez did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or what!!! I’m just trying to help out others who have the 708A drive. If you read my post correctly and see that I said, “PLEXTOR AMERICA has version 2.16”, think about it man you could download the version 2.16 then do the registry hack then download version 2.17 from PLEXTOR EUROPE then do the registry hack again to enable PlexTools. I could careless if you got the Plextools cd with the 712A drive. There is no need to purchase the 712A just to get the damn PlexTools CD. Geezzzzzz!!! :rolleyes:

Any moderator here can correct me about this PLEXTOOLS stuff. If I’m wrong about this please tell me otherwise I’m done with this thread! :wink:

Hmmms…I’m able to download from my other computer the latest PlexTools version 2.17 from Plextor Europe download site. I don’t even have PlexTools or a Plextor DVD burner on that computer. The Plextor America only has PlexTools version 2.16

my last post was in reply to yours in which you seemed to think I said I had a problem downloading plextools. I merely pointed out downloading it wasnt a problem it was getting it installed that was the problem.

DVD_ADDICT wrote:

“PLEXTOR AMERICA has version 2.16”, think about it man you could download the version 2.16 then do the registry hack then download version 2.17 from PLEXTOR EUROPE then do the registry hack again to enable PlexTools.

Why would you have to do the registry twice?, just download the lastest version…

HAMP wrote:

Why would you have to do the registry twice?, just download the lastest version…

According to iss he said 2.17 can not be installed unless you have a previous version which I’m not sure is true. That is why I said download 2.16 from Plextor America do the registry hack then install the 2.17 & do registry hack if 2.17 can’t be installed without a previous version. I’m not sure if what he is saying is true. Go figure! :wink: If anyone else is having the same problem that would be good to know. But so far I haven’t seen anyone else report the same problem as iss.

What iss said is not true. I just installed PlexTools version 2.17 with no problems at all on my other pc that has no PLEXTOOLS or PLEXTOR optical drives. iss perhaps you did not do the registry hack correctly. In order to use version 2.17 or any other versions of Plextools you must do the REGISTRY HACK FIRST then install PlexTools. :slight_smile: :wink: There is no need to purchase the 712A drive to get the PlexTools CD. :rolleyes:

The first version of PlexTools I tried to install was 2.16 and it would not install becasue it did not detect a previous version of PlexTools having been installed on the system. that is why the registry has to be hacked if you didnt allready install plextools from the disk. because all of the Downloadable versions of plextools FIRST check to see if PlexTools has been installed on the system beofre it will allow the download version to install.

The first version of PlexTools I tried to install was 2.16 and it would not install becasue it did not detect a previous version of PlexTools having been installed on the system. that is why the registry has to be hacked if you didnt allready install plextools from the disk. because all of the Downloadable versions of plextools FIRST check to see if PlexTools has been installed on the system beofre it will allow the download version to install.

READ WHAT I JUST POSTED! :rolleyes: DO THE REGISTRY HACK FIRST BEFORE INSTALLING ANY VERSION OF PLEXTOOLS! It doesn’t matter if you don’t have a previous version of Plextools. DO THE REGISTRY HACK FIRST THEN PLEXTOOLS WILL INSTALL PERFECTLY FINE WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS SUCH AS YOU’VE POSTED. If you don’t understand what I am trying to say then oh well go figure it out on your own. But what you are posting is incorrect information that WILL CONFUSE OTHERS WHO WOULD WANT TO HAVE PLEXTOOLS WITHOUT HAVING THE PLEXTOOLS CD.