New BD-R writer, strange scan - WTF?

vbimport

Hi guys,

I’m a bit upset and don’t know what to do. I hope someone can help me.

I bought the LiteOn iHBS112 because i wanted scanning capability. I’m trying to burn Verbatim 4x BD-Rs [VERBATIMc (000)], and Nero 10 verifies the burn as successful and the verification is OK. Defect management is switched on in Nero, the file system is UDF.

Transfer scan is OK, but as soon as i scan for disk quality, i get this thing ->(see attached image). It’s the second burned disk w- this problem, and i scanned w- 6x too - same thing.

So, basically, the disk is a coaster. The writer firmware is the latest, as you can see in the screenshot. I remember seeing something like that somewhere around here, i think it was writing a LTH disk, while unsupported by the burner. But this Verbatims are standard, they are supported.

What is the problem here? Is my unit defective? Is Nero uncapable of burning BD-R? (never had problems with Nero in the past). Have i set something wrong in the softwares?

Any help is immensely appreciated!
jj

I should add that the disk scans very good up until the ~17GB mark, after that the red block begins. You just can’t see that in the screenshot, because the app automatically scales the graph to accommodate the error blocks.

Ok, the good news is, it’s likely not the writer. I burned w- ImgBurn and the result is as you can see below.

Conclusions up to this point:

• Nero messes up the end of the burn, why - IDK (maybe the lead out?) Where come these extra 5GB of garbage from??
  • The LiteOn iHBS112 does very well with this media
  • I need another burn software that will burn multi-session. Can anyone suggest anything good and reliable?

EDIT: The amount of data visible on the recording surface is exactly the same on both burns. This leads me to believe that maybe something in the data catalogue is wrong (file system generation faulty?). Come on guys, bring on the ideas and speculations… :slight_smile:

Aight, i wanted to make sure it’s not the scanning app that’s buggy. Nero DiscSpeed has the same problem.

Could it be that multisession with UDF and Blu-Ray is still shaky?

Hi :slight_smile:
As both programs you have used are from the same author.
It shouldn’t surprise you that the results are similar.
Try something else, like DVDINFOPro.
Personally I do not rate the Lite-On as a burner.
So would keep it for scanning & get a LG - Pioneer for burning JMHO.

I’ve been on that DVDinfoPro site for 5 times already and couldn’t find a download link, what a messy layout… :Z

But now i’ll try it out - thanks! Is this tool better than Opti Drive Control?

I now updated Nero to the latest version (:doh:) and the problem seems to be gone. As you can see below, the Lite-On is indeed good for burning.

Hmm, i have to withdraw my statement from above. It worked when the first session was burnt with BurnAware and the second with Nero. Now i burned a session with only Nero - same problem like at the start.

I don’t understand this. I’ve seen all the good scans from this writer - is nobody here burning multiple UDF sessions for archiving data?

Finally, i found the culprit. It’s the BD defect management. I disabled it, and now the scans are clean. Below is a disc with two UDF 2.5 sessions burned in Nero.

I destroyed 5 blank discs to find the problem. I wish someone would have told me that defect management is pure evil. :a

[QUOTE=jjensson33;2585582]I’ve been on that [B][U]DVDinfoPro[/U][/B] site for 5 times already and couldn’t find a [B][U]download link[/U][/B], what a messy layout… :Z

But now i’ll try it out - thanks! Is this tool better than Opti Drive Control*?

I now updated Nero to the latest version (:doh:) and the problem seems to be gone. As you can see below, the Lite-On is indeed good for burning.[/QUOTE]

Hi :slight_smile:

• No comment as there are so many aspects that need to be considered.
    For what it is worth I use mainly Opti Drive Control .
    Where possible plextools too.
    Though DVDINFOPro is a useful guide too.

N.B. Glad you got things sorted too. :clap: