CATALYSTâ„¢ Release Note Version 5.3
This section provides information on new features introduced in the latest release of the CATALYSTâ„¢ Software Suite.
- OVERDRIVEâ„¢ Version 4
- Windows XP Media Center Edition Display Control Panel Extension
- OpenGL Version 2.0 Support
OVERDRIVEâ„¢ Version 4
The latest version of OVERDRIVEâ„¢ includes a new 3D test and extra safety checks to ensure the best over-clocking experience - allowing manual over-clocking of both engine and memory while keep the user's graphics card safe from any of the dangers usually associated with over-clocking.
The CATALYSTâ„¢ Software Suite 5.3 introduces a new feature named eRecord. This feature is the first error logging system used by the ATI multimedia software. The eRecord feature provides a mechanism for software components to output error messages. A new System Messages (Event Viewer) menu has been added to the CATALYSTâ„¢ CONTROL CENTER System Tray. This launches the Event Viewer, providing a mechanism for users to view the error messages.
Windows XP Media Center Edition Display Control Panel Extension
The CATALYSTâ„¢ Software Suite 5.3 introduces enhanced capabilities of the display panel through a Windows Media Center Edition look-alike control panel. The control panel options include:
- Display devices. Provides the ability to select preferred display devices such as; TVs, LCDs, or Monitors
- Display options. A user controllable option for desktop color, brightness, contrast
OpenGL Version 2.0 Support
The CATALYSTâ„¢ Software Suite introduces OpenGL Version 2.0 support. This version of OpenGL will be in line with the latest GL ARB approved specifications. New to this specification are GLSL, non-power-of-two-textures, separate stencil, multiple render targets, and point sprites.
ATI Customer Care
ATI Customer Care has recently upgraded their website to provide a higher level of technical support and easy of navigation. The new ATI Customer Care website provides more accurate and up-to-date product support for optimum usability and performance. Technical issues are now categorized and personalized to enhance user experience. The new ATI Customer Care Website can be found at: support.ati.com
To view a known or resolved issue, do the following:
- Go to: support.ati.com. The ATI Customer Care web page is displayed.
- In the top left hand pane, click Advanced Search. The Advanced Search pane is displayed.
- Under Search Type: Select the By: ID option.
- Enter the Topic number.
- Click Go.
Issues Resolved in CATALYSTâ„¢ Software Suite 5.3
The following section provides a summary of the issues that have been resolved in the latest version of CATALYSTâ„¢. These include:
- 3DMark2001: A black screen is no longer displayed when launching 3DMark2001 after launching Aquamark3, when the CATALYSTâ„¢ CONTROL CENTER is installed. Topic number 737-1140
- Code Creatures: Running the benchmark under Windows XP SP2 with an ATI RADEONâ„¢ 9250 installed, and the desktop display set to either 1600x1200, 1280x1024, or 1024x768 no longer results in the ground textures appearing corrupted. Topic number 737-10108
- Pacific Fighters: Playing the game after playing any track for a short period of time and having the landscape detail set to perfect no longer results in the clouds becoming blocking when flying. Topic number 737-209
- Thief Deadly Shadows: Setting the desktop display to 1024x768 32bpp and setting the Texture Preference to High Performance in the control panel no longer results in corruption being seen at the end of the introduction movie. Topic number 737-10109
- Attempting to apply a higher refresh rate to a non-DDC monitor no longer results in the refresh rate reverting to 60hz. Topic number 737-10101Accessing the Problem Report Wizard option from the ATI icon in the system tray no longer results in Problem Report Wizard not being translated in the supported localized languages. Topic number 737-341
- Entering the Video option found in the Graphic Setting tab of the CATALYSTâ„¢ CONTROL CENTER no longer results in the side scroll bar being missing for the secondary display device connected to an ATI RADEONâ„¢ 9800 series under Windows XP. Topic number 737-347
- The Welcome tab found in the CATALYSTâ„¢ CONTROL CENTER is now completely localized for the Japanese version of Windows XP, or 2000. Topic number 737-351
- Using the CATALYSTâ„¢ CONTROL CENTER to access the Display Manager no longer results in corruption being seen on top of menu text in the Dutch, French, Spanish, and Portuguese versions of Windows XP. Topic number 737-353
- The TV formats now corresponds to the country selected in the TV properties. Topic number 737-1438
- Having a CRT and TV connected to the ATI RADEONâ„¢ X850 series no longer results in the TV image quality page not being grayed out when enable video mode is enabled. Topic number 737-1439
- Launching the Hotkey Manager found in the CATALYSTâ„¢ CONTROL CENTER no longer results in the Hotkey Manager window not closing when hitting the ESC key. Topic number 737-10097
- Using the CATALYSTâ„¢ CONTROL CENTER to access the Display Manager no longer results in corruption being seen on top of menu text in the Dutch, French, Spanish, and Portuguese versions of Windows XP
- Entering the Video option found in the Graphic Setting tab of the CATALYSTâ„¢ CONTROL CENTER no longer results in the side scroll bar being missing for the secondary display device connected to an ATI RADEONâ„¢ 9800 series under Windows XP
- Creating a profile for clone or stretch mode and attempting to change to that mode from an extended desktop mode, no longer results in the task failing to complete. Topic number 737-10098
- The Windows desktop and Full-screen video options are no longer missing when clicking the back button found in the Video Wizard of the CATALYSTâ„¢ CONTROL CENTER. Topic number 737-10098
- The CATALYSTâ„¢ CONTROL CENTER tool bar now displays correctly after applying a new skin and restarting the CATALYSTâ„¢ CONTROL CENTER. Topic number 737-10098
- Defining a custom view in the CATALYSTâ„¢ CONTROL CENTER by deselecting the graphic adapter and applying the changes, no longer results in the Advanced view taking on the properties of the defined custom view. Topic number 737-10102
- The font size used in the CATALYSTâ„¢ CONTROL CENTER for the Quicksilver and Steelblue skins have been readjusted in order to be seen clearer. Topic number 737-10103Enabling Temporal AA no longer results in a noticeable flicker on the display device. Topic number 737-10103
Known Issues for CATALYSTâ„¢ Software Suite 5.3
The following section provides a brief description of known issues associated with the latest version of CATALYSTâ„¢. These include the following:
- Call of Duty: Corruption is noticed when playing a saved game under Windows XP with an ATI RADEONâ„¢ 9100 PRO IGP series installed and having a variety of graphic options provided by the game set high. Topic number 737-674
- Farcry: Playing the game under Windows XP SP2 with the display set to 1024x768 32bpp along with AA disabled results in flashing textures being noticed when setting the game's video options to high detail. Topic number 737-10089
- Half-Life 2: Having the display set to 1024x768 32bpp and setting the video options in the game set to 1600x1200 and all other options set to their maximum values results in sluggish performance and missing textures. Topic number 737-10086
- Rainbow six3: Athena Sword: Playing the game under Windows 2000 with an ATI RADEONâ„¢ X700 installed results in the game failing to retain its resolution option of 1600x1200 if you Alt-tab out of the game and then Alt-tab back to the game. Topic number 737-535
- Serious Sam: The Second Encounter: Playing the game for approximately 5 to 10 minutes under Windows XP with the game quality set at normal/default, results in display corruption being seen in the menu. Topic number 737-10090
- Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2: Playing the game under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON 9800 series installed, results in display corruption being noticed when changing the in-game options from low to maximum Topic number 737-10091
- Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic: Loading the Dantooine level of the game under Windows XP results in slow game performance Topic # 737-10092
- Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2: Setting the graphic option in the CATALYSTâ„¢ CONTROL CENTER to Optimal Quality, followed by launching the game and setting the resolution option to 1600x1200, results in a performance drop being noticed. Topic # 737-10093
- Assigning a hotkey to increase the overlay gamma results in the hotkey not functioning properly when playing an MPEG using the Windows Media Player. Topic number 737-494
- The Apply button in the Custom settings of the Advanced mode found under the CATALYSTâ„¢ CONTROL CENTER Video standard settings is grayed out when playing a media file. Topic number 737-497
- Installing the display driver and the CATALYSTâ„¢ CONTROL CENTER, results in a runtime error and the system tray failing to start when attempting to create multiple user accounts and enabling fast user switching. Topic number 737-10084
- The CATALYSTâ„¢ CONTROL CENTER installation currently does not check for the installation of Microsoft .Net Framework before preceding with the install, resulting in an error message being displayed when attempting to launch the CATALYSTâ„¢ CONTROL CENTER. Topic number 737-10085
- Setting the desktop display to 800x600 or 1600x1200 16/32bpp results in the incorrect display resolution information being provided when checking the video control panel in the CATALYSTâ„¢ CONTROL CENTER. Topic number 737-10087
- Using the ATI Problem Report Wizard under Windows XP SP2 with an ATI RADEON X850 XT installed results in an error message appearing when clicking the Finish button for the problem report. Topic number 737-10088
- Hesitation and display corruption is noticed when moving an MCE window from the primary display device to a secondary TV or DVI display device. Topic number 737-114987
For further information and general help on driver or software installation, game issues, and more, visit ATI Customer Care.
Catalyst 5.3 Download Page