New at FRY'S, GQ DVD-R, "ISSM R02"

Whenever I make a trip to Fry’s (about 44 miles or 50 minutes each way), I usually pick up one or two spindles of their media. They almost always have 16x +R and -R on sale, either 50 pack for $9 or $9.50, or 100 pack for $18. For a long time, I was getting Sony media, but this week I got something new. The 16x DVD-R under the GQ (Great Quality) brand was “ISSM R02”. I found one hit on VideoHelp for this media, and I just another post there on these blank discs. These seem to be fairly average media, neither the best nor the worst. Here, for the first post, is a 16x burn on my Samsung 203.

And here’s a 16x burn on my Liteon 20A4P.

Here’s another, burnt with my LG-H10N. The maximum speed offered was 8x, which I chose, and the burn seemed to actually be at 6x. Nevertheless, an excellent burn, and I am going to try more of these.

Very acceptable burns and great jitter results.

Thanks for sharing.

Yes, good results for some of those 16x burns.

The slower burn looks far better and I strongly suggest burning them all @ 4x, 6x or 8x.

Btw, remember to scan these discs in a month or so to make sure they are not degrading.

Are they MIT or MIC/MIHK ?

Looks good but how about playability ?

As cd-pirate said : you should keep an eye on these for any degradation

Insane PIE levels reported with 16X burns, and you guys consider these 16X rated discs as OK? :eek:

In my book, the only OK scan is the one from the 8X burn in the LG… I can’t take seriously any fresh burn showing more than a weighted average of PIE-60 in a Lite-on scan. These drives tend to be over-optimistic for PIE levels so the levels above are IMO quite alarming.

I consider these scans as indicative of mediocre media or mediocre firmware support for this MID.

Besides, considering that GQ seems to sell fake MKM, I would personally stay away from anything with the GQ label.

“Buy cheap, buy twice” -

[QUOTE=minaelromany;1966861]Are they MIT or MIC/MIHK ?

[/QUOTE]

GQ for some reason don’t follow the law, when ever i check their spindles, none of them ever have point of origin aka Made in ???

I was there today, and i looked at +R and -R GQ media, none of them had point of origin on the spindle.

[QUOTE=nekrosoft13;1967052]GQ for some reason don’t follow the law, when ever i check their spindles, none of them ever have point of origin aka Made in ???

I was there today, and i looked at +R and -R GQ media, none of them had point of origin on the spindle.[/QUOTE]

:eek:

I thought it was NOT legal in the USA :confused:

Frank : I overlooked PIE levels (I always do :bigsmile:) just because even Verbatim DVD-R 16X media most of the time has higher PIE

[QUOTE=minaelromany;1967254]Frank : I overlooked PIE levels (I always do :bigsmile:) [/quote]We all tend to do that and I think I know why :slight_smile:

just because even Verbatim DVD-R 16X media most of the time has higher PIE
Average 160 and max 200+ in a Litey scan? Really? :stuck_out_tongue:
I would personally be angry to get such high PIEs from MCC burns. Last time I had such high PIEs with a ‘reputable’ media manufacturer, it was with TDK TTH02 (16X -R).

Whatever, my point is, such a [I]dramatic[/I] (real huge!) difference in PIE reported between a 8X burn and 16X burns, with 16X rated media… IMO => not a sign of good media. :disagree: (can also be firmware support of course).

[QUOTE=Francksoy;1967033]Insane PIE levels reported with 16X burns, and you guys consider these 16X rated discs as OK? :eek:

In my book, the only OK scan is the one from the 8X burn in the LG… I can’t take seriously any fresh burn showing more than a weighted average of PIE-60 in a Lite-on scan. These drives tend to be over-optimistic for PIE levels so the levels above are IMO quite alarming.

I consider these scans as indicative of mediocre media or mediocre firmware support for this MID.

Besides, considering that GQ seems to sell fake MKM, I would personally stay away from anything with the GQ label.

“Buy cheap, buy twice” -[/QUOTE]

I agree the PIE levels are alarming and the liteons are far more tolerant than my BenQ 1620. But, I’m saying the results aren’t too bad, in fact quite good @ 16x considering these points:

A: It’s unknown shitty media getting burnt @ 16x - I would’ve expected a total coaster, really high PIF at the very least.
B: The result is a readable disc in the liteon with respectable PIF levels
C: Compared to the latest batch of MCC004 new style packaging I got burnt @ 16x… :eek:

MCC 004 scans are a bit off-topic in this thread about ISSM R02 media. :wink:

The high PIEs seem to be a result of burning on the Samsung 203, not a result of 16x versus 8x burning. As proof, I offer an 8x burn on the Samsung.

And here’s a 16x burn on an LG-H62N. Notice that the total PIEs are almost a full order of magnitude less than the previous burn at 8x on the Samsung 203. As all of the regulars here know quite well, this does not indicate that the LG is a better burner than the Samsung. It just tells us that the LG likes this particular media, and the Samsung doesn’t.

can u test them with a benq 1640 or a 1650 :wink: ?

Here’s a quality test from a Benq 1655, same disc as post number 14 above.

Same disc as post number 1 (above). 16x burn on Samsung 203, this time read by a Benq 1655. I’m not sure why you wanted to see this, and I absolutely refuse to be drawn into which drive is better for quality scanning. Now that Benq no longer manufactures drives suitable for quality scanning, I consider this to be a moot point.

[QUOTE=minaelromany;1966861]Are they MIT or MIC/MIHK ?

As cd-pirate said : you should keep an eye on these for any degradation[/QUOTE]

They are are made by Info Source Multi Media in Hong Kong :wink:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;1967285]MCC 004 scans are a bit off-topic in this thread about ISSM R02 media. ;)[/QUOTE]

Just making the comparison that MCC004 for me is producing some crappy results and the 16x burns on this ISSM media is not so bad in comparison.

@ HenryNettles - the LG and lower burn speeds are definitely the winner with this media. Your 16x burns seem to jump in jitter as the burn speed rises so I’d keep below 16x at all times for safety as some dvd players struggle with high jitter burns.

[QUOTE=cd pirate;1967614]
@ HenryNettles - the LG and lower burn speeds are definitely the winner with this media. Your 16x burns seem to jump in jitter as the burn speed rises so I’d keep below 16x at all times for safety as some dvd players struggle with high jitter burns.[/QUOTE]

The problem with that is that the LG burners do not offer 12x for DVD-R burns, only 8x or 16x. And the LG-H10N has rather old firmware, and only offers 8x for this media, and then actually burns at 6x. (Tried twice, same results.) I may try 8x on the H62N and settle for that. The fact is, all of the burns so far have played back perfectly.