New ARM CPU comes with Trustzone - anti piracy in a chip

vbimport

New ARM CPU comes with Trustzone - anti piracy in a chip.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2013/06/T2zVcx.jpg[/newsimage]The Mali-V500 chip from ARM has built-in anti-piracy measures. 

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/new-arm-cpu-comes-with-trustzone-anti-piracy-in-a-chip-67372/](http://www.myce.com/news/new-arm-cpu-comes-with-trustzone-anti-piracy-in-a-chip-67372/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

so, yet again, another industry is being forced to do something to try to keep the entertainment industries in the same vane they have been in for 30 years at least, that there is no other industry if there is no entertainment industry. on top of which ‘the other industry’ has to do so at it’s expense, risk losing customers whilst the entertainment industries pay out nothing but possibly, and i use the term lightly, could gain, not more sales because of file sharing being reduced but because they end up gaining complete control of the very service that 99% of companies rely on totally today. you got it!! the Internet!! now if that isn’t helping the Boston Strangler to kill you, i dont know what is!!

Great… DRM baked onto centralized hardware. I foresee a large underground martket coming as a result of this. Not to mention lots of paying customers not able to watch legally obtained material. Soon, we all will need to buy $10,000 worth of equiptment, use it to illegally hack DRM technology, just to watch some homemade family video that someone posted on Youtube. Isn’t technology great?

I already cop “this content has not been approved for playback on mobile devices” from YouTube, not to mention region locks on paid content.

in 5 years, everyone will be getting “your hardware does not support the drm protection in this content. Contact your device manufacturer for support”. But the freaking drm support is baked into hardware, so the manufacturers response will be “replaced your model with new model xxx”.

Isn’t planned obsolescence illegal or something? It’s at least environmentally unfriendly.

ARM will learn the hard way that DRM laced chips will not sell well and tarnish the company’s image with consumers in the long term.

Umm… AFAIK NONE of the current crop top of the line tablet chips have this technology built-in today. This is obviously being pushed by the copyright industry for NEXT year’s models…

If all goes according to plan, there will be resurgence in laptops as tablet pricing is already past the moon with windows 8 tablets skyrocketing past $1k for a tablet-- REALLY insane… Microsoft gonna take a bath on their tablets if they don’t drop the pricing to about 1/2…

I think the tablet market will peak soon too. I bought an Asus TF300T with the keyboard dock last January and if it wasn’t for the keyboard dock I would rarely use it. The “new” of the touch screen interface wore off quickly for me. Also, holding a tablet for long periods is a royal PITA, IMO. Their is nothing wrong with the tablet from a speed and internet browsing aspect but I would have rather spent the money on a light weight 12"-13" laptop. The one thing that might keep tablet sales going is ultra low pricing with a decent screen resolution and fast a processor/graphics system.

For all the talk about thin profit margins, there SURE is a lot of pay-outs for license fees everywhere. Are these manufacturers thinking they’re going to tie in so many collateral companies that their products are too big to fail? Yeah… riiiight…

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2689572]Umm… AFAIK NONE of the current crop top of the line tablet chips have this technology built-in today. This is obviously being pushed by the copyright industry for NEXT year’s models…

If all goes according to plan, there will be resurgence in laptops as tablet pricing is already past the moon with windows 8 tablets skyrocketing past $1k for a tablet-- REALLY insane… Microsoft gonna take a bath on their tablets if they don’t drop the pricing to about 1/2…[/QUOTE]

Never underestimate the power of denial with MS. I’m just waiting for them to blame the manufacturers again. Because of course its not the pricing, the OS, or the marketing that is at fault.

[QUOTE=UTR;2689575]…but I would have rather spent the money on a light weight 12"-13" laptop. The one thing that might keep tablet sales going is ultra low pricing with a decent screen resolution and fast a processor/graphics system.[/QUOTE]

Bingo!
I would rather have a well equipped netbook than an over-priced tablet thingy. (…I prefer a heavy laptop over a tablet…)

I do understand the portability edge for tabs but the insanely priced smart phones and tablets and the never ending line of foolish people willing to pay for them, I don’t understand.
As long as this model holds true, I suppose the factories will be busy filling the orders.

Any company stupid enought to produce a prossser like this Either needs the Money or will soon be out of business no one will put up with it that has a IQ over 10 they simply will not buy the product.:slight_smile:

X, I have a lot more faith in the idiocy of consumers! IQ of 10? Nawww, I have FIVE times more faith! We have disk-players and enforced region-encoding that prevents people from apparently flooding foreign markets with USA DVD sales. Those currency exchanges-! It’s amazing that DVD sales are more dangerous than Arab oil purchases or armaments sales! But at least region-encoding stops a lot of that. Whoo-hooo- our gold reserves are safe!!

And for several years, we’ve seen new chips go into TVs (and players) that also observe video-formats so NTSC countries can’t de-regionalize their PAL-video formats and enjoy them either! What GREAT restrictions!

X, I have far more faith in the idiocy of consumers.

AND the ability of monopolies to leave us no choice.

Don’t worry… vendors will come up with an excuse to make it look like they’re dog you a favour, like implementing video drm to safe guard your credit card number or Skype video calls or something.