New 'Archival' gold DVD-R discs: are these the true thing?

vbimport

Are these real?: Delkin Devices - eFilm 24K Gold Archival CD-Rs & DVD-Rs
I have a feeling that the CD-Rs, like the Mobile Fidelity ones that are marked up to double the Mitsui/MAM-A price, are really Mitsui/MAM-A. Another hint about these CD-Rs is that they’re 74 minutes, any only Mitsui/MAM-A (and maybe TY) still make 74-minute CD-Rs.

Now, these very expensive (279.99 USD for 100 discs!!!) DVD-Rs are what I’m uncertain about. Does anyone here have any experience with these & know how well they stack up against Taiyo Yuden?

Thanks for any information on this…

Ask again in a hundred years. Odds are that they offer nothing special. Oxidation has never been shown to be an issue for DVDRs, so gold is of little value unless it also resists UV and heat damage.

IMHO, anyone talking “archival” and optical in the same sentance is not in touch with reality. But time will tell.

Even if they are the real thing, would your burner have the media code supported or use a generic write strategy. Changing the reflective surface material could adversely affect burning as well I would think.

well if i bought one and it goes bad in 240 years I will take it right back and demand a refund!

Taiyo Yuden run about 45 cents a disc shipped for the premium stuff from rima.com. They will probably last about 35 years provided you take good care of them. I don’t know about you but that is plenty enough for me so I can’t see spending almost $3.00 a disc on media that 1. Isn’t proven for compatibility 2. May or may not last longer than Taiyo Yuden. To me it sounds to much like those “scratch-proof” TDKs.

The comments above are a little bit wrong.

The National Institute of Standards and Technology has released its preliminary report on the lifespan of optical discs and part of their conclusions, which pertained to CDs as well as DVDs, was that the discs with phthalocyanine dye, and specifically those with silver and gold alloy, were “far more stable than any of the other samples” during both their tests of life expectancy (light and humidity).

I think what’s meant by the above comments, unfortunately, is that that user doesn’t care if they last 1000 years, as they won’t really need the discs past 5 to 10 years at the most.