New Anti-Piracy Software Uses Power of Suggestion

[B]May 15, 2013 | 10:58AM PT

Audio watermark blocks playback of pirated movies and sends viewers to digital retailers to access titles legally

The power of suggestion is about to be deployed to combat film piracy.

Verance Corp., a developer of anti-piracy technology, introduced Cinavia Level 3, a new piece of software on Wednesday that determines whether a film has been illegally obtained and offers up legitimate digital movie services through which the film can be viewed.[/B]
Link: http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/new-ant-piracy-software-uses-power-of-suggestion-1200481389/

:cool::cool:

In a demo presented by Verance, a copy of “Skyfall” that was recorded in a theater stopped during an action sequence and offered the chance to buy or rent the film via a connection to Amazon or iTunes.

Hmm, so playing back a recorded title that’s still in the theatres will suddenly make it available to buy/rent online?? I think that’s a whoops :stuck_out_tongue:

While content owners would pay to license the software, hardware manufacturers will determine which online storefronts they will use. Apple, for example, would likely offer up only iTunes on its devices

If the iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, etc. devices took on Cinavia, I would be curious to see how it would implement the technology. For example, if it’s driver based where third party Apps would be affected, I wonder what impact this would have on Apple fans.

Let me get this straight - they tested this software by someone sitting in a SKYFALL audience, using his handheld camera to ‘film the film’ (gag - what a waste!) and then the later playback was blocked?

(Considering this filming-a-film’s horrible format, I’d think this would be a true blessing!)

So… what ELSE can be hidden in a soundtrack for subliminal uses? “Charge into a theater, use your guns!” I can’t wait for defense attorneys to claim THAT - and it seems like Verance is proving this is its capability.

Gee - wanna make theater attendance REALLY drop?!!

Let’s move Verance’s claims from a trade-rag like VARIETY onto front pages everywhere and see what theater attendance is like, eh, theater chains?

They still fail to target what’s really needed. The torrent sites. If they want to end piracy they need to hit them like they did with the P2P software back in the 80’s-90’s.

[QUOTE=Dr. Who;2687966]They still fail to target what’s really needed. The torrent sites. If they want to end piracy they need to hit them like they did with the P2P software back in the 80’s-90’s.[/QUOTE]

That is so wrong…they failed to target the real problem studio GREED!! Fact that is what drove piracy and still drives it. Until they address their own GREED nothing will ever slow piracy down. The horse is out of the barn already and trying to be revisionist doesn’t change the fact they had “Foot in Mouth Disease” for the studios. And if you think piracy is slowed you have been drinking to much studio koolaid.

Well they could lower the price of movies and while at it lower the total cost of living to basically 300 a month but the change minimum wage per hour back to 40 cents? Then it would balance out? Well maybe not as you still have to earn a lot to make it to the movie still or buy one. However 10 for a DVD and 30 max for a BD is okay by me. However this upconverted version BD’s that we already have DVD’s movies is BS I think.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2687969]That is so wrong…they failed to target the real problem studio GREED!! Fact that is what drove piracy and still drives it. Until they address their own GREED nothing will ever slow piracy down. The horse is out of the barn already and trying to be revisionist doesn’t change the fact they had “Foot in Mouth Disease” for the studios. And if you think piracy is slowed you have been drinking to much studio koolaid.[/QUOTE]:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

The swedish piratebay is still up and running, no matter what RIAA does… :cool:
link

BTW, My view on this on this subject doesn’t change although I’m a lawyer

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2687948]So… what ELSE can be hidden in a soundtrack for subliminal uses? “Charge into a theater, use your guns!”[/QUOTE]

Well, considering how violent movies can be, I think that would be the perfect defense for a movie theater massacre. Or, perhaps they’re trying to tell us that if we don’t lay down and take it like a bunch of sheep, they will be comming after “pirates” (that is, anyone who happens to have an internet connect, a camera, an audio recorder, good memory, ect…) with guns! :eek:

[QUOTE=pinto2;2688026]:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

The swedish piratebay is still up and running, no matter what RIAA does… :cool:
link

BTW, My view on this on this subject doesn’t change although I’m a lawyer[/QUOTE]

Like I mention before about Piratebay they will be there long after RIAA peeters out…and more and more piracy will keep coming along. It goes like this if you can make it they can break it…