New 8X DVD +/- Drive (TDK)

Hi All.

This being my first post I might as well let you know that today I purchased a new TDK IndiDVD Internal 8X DVD +/- R/RW drive. The model # is 840G and is not listed on any TDK website yet. In fact, I’m not sure it was even announced.

I purchased it at a local Best Buy, who also doesn’t have it listed at their Website, for $250 US (which was cheaper than the Plextor at the store at $280 US. I suspect online prices will be cheaper.)

The drive comes with a Roxio suite of software, a 4X DVD+R and 4X DVD-R TDK branded disc, and lots of paper docs.

The specs of the drive (8x DVD+R, 4X DVD+/-R, 4X DVD+RW, 2X DVD-RW, 12X DVD-ROM, 40X CDR, 24X CDRW, 40X CD Read) mirror the Plextor 708A because, well, it IS the 708A (with a black bezel and TDK logos.) Though the drive shows up as a TDK in Nero, etc… I am 100% positive it is a Plextor 708A because the drive looks identical and also functions identically.

The drive ships with Firmware 1.02, which I assume is the same as the Plextor 1.02 firmware but rebranded to read “TDK”. It shows as manufactured in October, 2003 in China.

The drive ships with a list of recommended media for all speeds, including 8x +R, and it too is identical to Plextor’s 708A list.

I tested with a number of different discs. I used Ritek G03s DVD-R discs (which burned at 2X), TDK 4X DVD+R discs (Ricohjpnr01 I believe), which burn consistently at 8X, Apple 4X DVD-R which burned at 4X, and Fuji DVD+RW (which burned at 2.4x).

I tested with Nero, and DVDXcopy Express… latest versions, and had no problems.

I wonder if I can upgrade to the latest Plextor firmware… or if it is even worth it?

-P

I don’t know if it’s possible to flash your drive with a Plextor firmware (probably not). If it’s worth it? I think so because Plextor often updates firmware for their drives and newer firmware versions generally mean better media compatibility.

Ps. Welcome to the forum Paul :wink:

Thanks for the welcome. :slight_smile:

You’re right about the firmware - while I am positive it is the same drive, it seems TDK retains some control over the firmware they are using.

I tried to install the 1.03 firmware for kicks and got the error “no drive found”.

Oh well. I see the 1.02 firmware is pretty good and stable and offers a lot of media compatability (I tend not to use esoteric brands) and it is performing well so I’m happy.

-P

look at www.cdrlabs.com
in today’s news they mention TDK’s announcement of this drive.

TDK has joined the party with their own 8x DVD±RW. Called the Indi DVD 840G, this drive offers 8x DVD+R and 4x DVD-R writing speeds as well as a maximum DVD read speed of 12x. Here are a few of the specs:
DVD Write Speed: 8x (+R); 4x (-R)
DVD Rewrite Speed: 4x (+RW); 2x (-RW)
DVD Read Speed: 12x
CD Write Speed: 40x
CD Read Speed: 40x
CD Rewrite Speed: 24X
DAE Speed: 40x
Data Buffer: 2 MB

No word yet on when the Indi DVD 840G will ship or how much it will be. As we find out more, we’ll let you know. More information on the drive can be found on TDK’s website.

Update: The 840G is showing up on Pricegrabber for about $240. It’s not in stock yet, but at least we know its on the way

link:
http://www.tdk.com/dvdburners/indidvd8x.html
listed there at $280.

Hi All,

Paul did you try to install Roxio from the CD that came with the TDK drive, because I’ve tried and couldn’t (received message: error 1311 :bow:

Thanks,
Liya.

Heya,

No actually I didn’t. I did look at it though, but I use Nero and other tools so I didn’t actually install it.

-P

Hey controller2k4
Did u try use this drive with CloneDVD and AnyDVD, did it worked? Does the software that comes with it useful? Can I use it copy CSS DVD’s from the Video Store? THanks for reply!

Hi there.

I haven’t used any of those programs you mentioned. The drive does come with a pretty nice Roxio based suite of software, but I never installed it because I prefer Nero and other programs.

I have used DVDXCopy (Platinum and Xpress), as well as DVDShrink to burn backups of my DVD CSS encoded movies without a problem. The backups play in all of my players.

I also have used Nero successfully. This is a great drive!

-P

P.S. I would only burn backups of movies you own, not ones you rent. :wink: