NEW 812s owners

Originally posted by easy-going-man
[B]I find the result on Princo media pretty good. On my LDW-811s, Princos have an average PI of at least 400 - while discs of the same batch have an average PI of 80 when I burn them with Pioneer 106.

These scans have convinced me. I have just ordered an 812s for 105 € and will sell my 811s via Ebay. I will still get about 90 € for it. So the loss is not very high. [/B]

My understanding of kprobe results lead me to believe the burn while not great was ‘acceptable’. I’ll probably try the ritek next when these princo run out. But so far I’m happy with the drive.

I’m going to burn a DVD movie soon on princo again. Will have the kprobe results shortly.

In my opinion, the scan is acceptable, so don’t worry. Nevertheless, I would buy Ritek G04 next time since some Princo DVD-R might lose data after some time. Really low quality discs…

Sounds good.
Yes you are right; those peaks are just under the “acceptable” level.
Myself I like to see max PI under 100 and max PI fewer than 10. I’m sort of picky though when it comes to quality.
But yes, those should suffice for most people. :smiley:

Here’s the movie scan I promised. Again on Princo -R

I’ll have to see how well it plays on my standalone player.

Dudemachine, Weasle, Hans & Jme thanks for taking time to do the kprobes feedback

ArchV

:wink:

@ Dudemachine

Your scans of the Princo -R arent too bad, considering that Grade A, is the bottom of the Quality list, and not the top. CD and DVD are graded A to E for quality. E being the best, and A the worst.

Just thought I would throw that in there, so noone thinks they get good media when they buy Grade A…They ain’t eggs.

have a nice day

Kid185

Grade A is grade A…

E? It does not exist…I think unless ur going to be helpful…please do not post your Garbage.

Show me links with your kiddish “imagination” :wink:

Ok let’s put it this way then.
“Grade A” Princo is still “Grade A” crap most of the time.

well i got the 01 firmware and i still cant get booktype to work, but my kprobe looks alot better i think. uptown girls, burnt with nero, sized with dvdshrink.

That is some amazing quality. :iagree:

Hmmmm, so you can’t get booktype.exe to work with US01 either? What errors (if any) do you get? You have tried to confirm booktype with DVDInfoPro right?

Bitsetting does not work. Verified with DVDInfoPro and others. Here’s a scan of a Ricoh burned @ 8X on the 812 with US05 (tweaked) firmware. This drive is a real 812. I don’t like the bump at the beginning but all in all it’s not that bad. I think I can fine tune that out…

Remember, you are burning media only rated for 4x. To get results that good when burning it as 8x is great.

Originally posted by Ssseth
Remember, you are burning media only rated for 4x. To get results that good when burning it as 8x is great.

I know but the “team” strives for perfect results…:bigsmile:

yes verified with dvdinfo and nero, both still say +r and not rom. also have tried with both version of the book type utility 1.0.0 and 1.0.4.

i have burned with all three firmwares, and it seems 01 gives me the best quality. below is blue comedy tour on a -r that came with drive, using 01 firmware, nero and dvdshrink(no compression). havnt burned any other -r with 03 or 05 but i have +r and 01 gives the best kprobe results.

While I’m waiting for my 8X -R’s to arrive tomorrow I thought I would try something. Here is a CMC AF1 burned @ 8X on the 812 using the CMC AE1 write strategy. I expected something horrid but really not too bad considering. Also here is the DVD Decypter log of the burn:

I 21:13:43 DVD Decrypter Version 3.2.0.0 started!
I 21:13:43 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 1)
I 21:13:43 Initialising SPTI…
I 21:13:43 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices…
I 21:13:53 Found 1 CD-RW, 1 DVD-ROM and 3 DVD±RWs!
I 21:14:07 Operation Started!
I 21:14:07 Source File: E:\DVD Images\Sudden Death.iso
I 21:14:07 Source File Sectors: 2,031,012 (MODE1/2048)
I 21:14:07 Source File Size: 4,159,512,576 bytes
I 21:14:07 Destination Device: [1:1:0] LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-812S US05 (J:)
I 21:14:07 Destination Media Type: DVD-R (Disc ID: CMC MAG. AF1)
I 21:14:07 Destination Media Sectors: 2,297,888
I 21:14:07 Write Mode: DVD
I 21:14:07 Write Speed: MAX
I 21:14:07 Test Mode: No
I 21:14:07 BURN-Proof: Enabled
I 21:14:07 Filling Buffer…
I 21:14:08 Writing LeadIn…
I 21:15:12 Writing Image…
I 21:23:31 Synchronising Cache…
I 21:23:55 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:09:47
I 21:23:55 Average Write Rate: 8,140 KB/s (5.9x) - Maximum Write Rate: 10,890 KB/s (7.9x)

Much better burns compared to the 811S… Should I dare to buy a 812S?

Really ? I didn’t try CMC MAG-F01-00 @8X yet but @4X they are great on my 811… like PI 16max and PO 12max.

@thibouille, have a read here

As promised here is a scan of a TYG02 (PioData) burned @ 8X on the 812. I have done some additional testing on the drive and have come to the conclusion the the drive has a problem. This first scan is a burn using US01 firmware. I will be RMA’ing this drive and will do more testing once I receive a replacement.