New 812s owner problem

i just bought the lite on 812s this weekend and ive set up it up as the master drive

im using pine dvd-r discs
and after i recorded my first dvd my dvd-rom (set to slave) could not recognize my newly burned disc…only the 812 was able to recognize it…same thing happened at my school…no drives could read it

oh im using recordnow dx to write the disks

im new to this dvd burning thing so can anyone help me?

Ick. Pine? That’s usually AN3x, MEDIA ID001, or Dvsn media. Just as bad, if not worse, than Princo media. :Z Most likely, the problem is the result of you using bad media in the drive. Use some decent media (Ritek/Ricoh/CMC) or good media (Verbatim/Maxell/TY) and try again.

so it isnt a set up problem with the hardware?

also i just saw that writing to dvd was set to “track at once - not closed”

could this be another factor?

Originally posted by boobar
[B]so it isnt a set up problem with the hardware?

also i just saw that writing to dvd was set to “track at once - not closed”

could this be another factor? [/B]

Possibly.

Originally posted by boobar
[B]so it isnt a set up problem with the hardware?

also i just saw that writing to dvd was set to “track at once - not closed”

could this be another factor? [/B]

definately you have to close your disk if its a movie! if its just data backup you dont need to close…you should be able to read the media.

do a kprobe scan on it and report your results…

i read somewhere that i need a 80 wire ide connector…i doubt i have one…is this one of the symptoms of not having the proper ide cable?

wait i used the bundled lite on 8x dvd-r and it works perfectly …the only problem is that it could only write to it at 4x…am i missing something here?

aww man im such a noob…but aside from that im tempted to switch this for the external lite-on 8x just because its easier to set up (i think)…can anyone help me out with this one?

nope… not being able to move data fast enough is a sign or poorly results on good media can be a sign but normally it is only when writting at 8x since that is 11080KB 4x writing is not a problem for 40 pin cables.

if your dvdburner can read it my guess is that the players you are trying to playback in won’t like this media no matter what.

Just because a 40 wire cable is technically able to go that fast does not always mean it does so properly.
An 80 wire cable does help in many cases. I would recommend using one if you are having speed problems.

Originally posted by Ssseth
Just because a 40 wire cable is technically able to go that fast does not always mean it does so properly.
An 80 wire cable does help in many cases. I would recommend using one if you are having speed problems.

not to be a pain in the @ but the cable is really not likely to be any sort of a bottleneck.

well up to udma3 (i think) ata 3 the 40 pin cables were able to read and write data to hard drives with no problems. ata3 is 33 meg/sec which is almost 3 times 8x dvd (11080KB).

the extra 40 pins on the cable will eliminate crosstalk when data is moving at ata 33 speeds but are really of no value to a udma2 device like a dvdburner.

to quote:
The 40-conductor cable was first defined with the original Ultra DMA modes 0, 1 and 2, covering transfer speeds up to 33.3 MB/s. The cable is considered “optional” for those modes. However, for any Ultra DMA modes above mode 2, the 80-conductor cable is mandatory.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/conf_Cable80.htm