New 4163 scans-how're these?

vbimport

Further down I posted the first CDSpeed scans from my new GSA-4163B. They were, in a word, blecch! Someone on another forum pointed out that they, too, have been having trouble lately w/Verbatim/MCC 003 media burned at or faster than their rated speed.

When I did the first CDSpeed “Create Data Disk”, I didn’t stop to think that CDSpeed was going as fast as the hardware was rated. After the other person’s comment about MCC 003 media, however, I went back in and forced CDSpeed to write at 4x max (the disks are rated at 8x). I always burn my movies at 1/2 the media’s rated speed, and usually get good results, so I thought I’d try it here.

That certainly looks much better. BTW MCC 003 is the only media I have found so far that my LG hates and my BenQ loves. Go figure. The MCC 02RG20 is some of the best I have ever seen on the LG.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=917309&postcount=1

And for further comparison, here’s a Disk Quality Test of a movie burned in the LG, and one of the same movie burned in my NEC 3520A here .

Since CDSpeed won’t run a Disk Quality Test on the LG, both disks were scanned in the NEC. Would you say the results are close enough to be w/in a statistical margin of error, since I imagine the NEC does better scanning disks it burns itself, than that of disks burned on other burners?

And BTW, why won’t CDSpeed work on the LG?

I would have to say that there is a statisticallly significant difference with the NEC burning better than the LG. While it is different, it is not of a higher quality such that I would prefer one over the other. In other words, I would burn this media on either drive for anything I would want to keep. LG does not support media scanning. Many drives do not. NEC only started to recently.

One of the reasons I got the LG was for the +R bitsetting. I know that I could get the NEC to bitset via hacked f/w, but for now I wanted it stock.

Is there any particular reason why LG and other makers have drives that don’t support media scanning? Given what I’ve learned recently here, it would seem to be an essential tool in determining if the disk you just burned should go in a jewel case or under a mug of beer. :wink:

Great scan. Where did you get this media? Is it branded Verbatim?

Thanks

It is branded Verbatim, a 100-disk spindle. I believe I bought it a few months ago from Amazon–they were having a deal where the 100-disk spindle was $65, and you got a $30 rebate on top of that. I seriously jumped on that deal! :bigsmile:

But these disks are not the newer “AZO” type media, which I’ve heard burns better and faster, and more reliably. (Maybe someone w/experience w/the AZO disks could comment?) The disks I got are 8x, and the scans you saw were burned at 4x.

I still had another spindle of Memorex to go thru, which I think were PRODISC, and not as good as the Verbatim. I just started on the Verbatim about a dozen disks ago, so I have a ways to go before I need another spindle. :slight_smile:

All Verbatim media that has an MCC media ID (or ATIP in the case of CD-Rs) uses AZO dye.

Just like any feature a company implements in their product. They look at the cost andand the customer base to determine whether their customer will pay enough for the feature to cover the cost of implementation. It isn’t just something they turn off and then charge more to turn on. Intel did that with 386SX chips, as I recall where thay turned off the math co-processor. Not the case with DVD burners.

That’s interesting–wonder why they didn’t put it on the label? As they seem to be really hyping it on the label of their newer 16x +R’s. The 8x spindle I have is definitely MCC–MCC 003. So even tho it doesn’t say, they have the AZO dye?

The newer 16X disc I have (came w/a drive), says on the label, has a little logo that says, “Advanced AZO–Ultimate Performance and Durability”.