New 3450 firmware (v.103C)?

vbimport

I just stumbled on a firmware version 103C for the 3450. I think it’s new.
Here’s the info from NEC dump about it:

_NEC    DVD+-RW ND-3450A
103C 04.04.2005 00            

CD-R   Version: 1.26
CD-RW  Version: 1.24
DVD-R  Version: 1.42d
DVD-RW Version: 1.36
DVD+R  Version: 1.63
DVD+RW Version: 1.37
DVD+R9 Version: 1.27d

RipLock Not Removed
RPC-2 (Region Locked) 

Anyone interested?

Please.
Check your PM :wink:

Does it support PI/PIF ?

No idea, I only have a 3520 myself so I haven’t tested it.

It can be downloaded from here
http://www.softwarepatch.pl/przegladaj.php?did=200

Downloaded the flash but it did not clear the region selection of the drive what can I use to get rid of it?

I think my firmware needs to be updated. I have a NEC 3450A. The first sony disc I ever burned was an 8x disc, and then yesterday I put in a 4x disc and it gave me the option to burn at 8x, so I did. The DVD burned flawlessly and works great. The problem I have though, is that I have some 8x Benq discs and the first ever benq disc I put in was only 4x, and none of the programs I have (Sonic Record now, Alcohol 120%, Nero 6) will burn it higher than 4x. Also, my Drive it a ±R burner, but it won’t read +R DVD’s, but they still burn well (I have a DVD-ROM drive too). Should I update my firmware? I’ve never done it before, is it easy?

@sin74:
There is not a region free version of this firmware yet. Keep an eye on this forum or http://tdb.rpc1.org/#ND3450A to see if it becomes available (I have no idea how to do this myself).

@Caboose87
I don’t know if you should update or if the update helps. Only way yo know is to try it out. Although you do a firmware upgrade at your own risk, I think it’s pretty safe because the flash program coming with this firmware seems to be an original NEC flasher. Flashing is as simple as starting the program and clicking the button. Just make sure you have the original microsoft ide drivers that came with your windows and don’t do anything weird while flashing.

So all I have to do is run that exe that I downloaded and it’ll do everything for me?

Sorry, I read the Sticky at the top of the page but I still don’t understand how to flash my firmware and this is my only DVD Burner and I don’t have money to buy a new one if I mess this up. If the new firmware doesn’t work for me, I can just flash it with my old firmware again (when I dump the old firmware)?

It does not support PI/PIF

I’m not a 3450 firmware guru or anything (I don’t even own the drive).
I think that generally speaking, you should not try to upgrade a firmware unless the new firmware fixes something that you need. Personally I don’t mind taking the risk, I am too curious so I do it anyway and I have never had a firmware upgrade failure. I don’t know if it is possible to recover if the firmware upgrade fails.
Once you successfully flashed a new firmware, I am pretty sure that it is possible to flash it back to an earlier version (at least with my 3520 drive).

Ok, thanks for the info. But what does this new firmware do? You just posted version numbers for different types of media.

I’ve flashed a 3450 with the 3500 firmware. Burns great–just don’t burn -R discs. :slight_smile:

I obtained what I think is the same firmware from Dell and it flashed fine on my ND 3450A but it doesn’t do anything for bitsetting which is what I really want to have control over. So, yes it’s fine, but not a great upgrade for me.

the date on its 4.4.05, have my doubts about if its new or old