New 300 Gig harddisks

Source

Fujitsu Limited today announced the introduction of two new series of 3.5-inch enterprise hard disk drives that deliver superior levels of performance and storage capacity. The MAT series, featuring spindle speeds of 10K rotations per minute (rpm), offers storage capacity of up to 300 gigabytes (GB) with 4-platter design. The MAU series, featuring spindle speeds of 15K rpm, offers up to 147GB in storage capacity. Both are available in three capacity points and two different types of interfaces. The new hard drives deliver the superior levels of performance and reliability required of today’s enterprise systems, from servers to storage systems.

Main Specifications
MAT Series
With speeds of 10K rpm, offers capacities of up to 300GB, double the level of Fujitsu’s previous model.
Available in three capacity points: 73GB, 147GB and 300GB.
Available in two interfaces: Ultra 320 SCSI or Fibre Channel 2.
Offers internal data transfer rates of 132 MB/s, a 23% improvement over Fujitsu’s previous model.
Employs a fluid dynamic bearing motor (*2) for quieter operation.
MAU Series
With speeds of 15K rpm, offers capacities of up to 147GB, double the level of Fujitsu’s previous model.
Available in three capacity points: 36GB, 73GB and 147GB.
Available in two interfaces: Ultra 320 SCSI or Fibre Channel 2.
Offers internal data transfer rates of 147 MB/s, a 25% improvement over Fujitsu’s previous model.
Employs a fluid dynamic bearing motor for quieter operation.
Availability

Qualification units for OEM customers will be available from April for the MAT series from June for the MAU series. Volume shipments will start shortly thereafter.

/ me drools

ehh, my 250gig suits me fine

Would be nice to know the seek times, cause that’s what’ll make them “feel” faster.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Would be nice to know the seek times, cause that’s what’ll make them “feel” faster.

generally, a 10Krpm drive will have an access time that is

( 10K - 7K2 ) / 7K2 % faster :slight_smile:

Granted it’s not entirely accurate, as there are electronic logic delays, mechanical friction to overcome, etc, but i do believe that most of the time seeking is actually reading the sectors before the requested sector that takes the longest, rather than just mechanically moving the head quickly.

Ssseth’s 60GB drive faints

Originally posted by Ssseth
Ssseth’s 60GB drive faints

Debro’s WD 120GB 8MB beast rages at it’s chain at the sight of a defenceless meal!
The 160GB Striped array array laughs in the face of danger!
But the array is two faced as it’s truly a wimp compared to the WD!

Ha!

I have a 240Gb (2x120) stripped array, still this 300Gb hdd is like what a donut looks like to a cop :bigsmile:

Originally posted by Hemispasm
I have a 240Gb (2x120) stripped array, still this 300Gb hdd is like what a donut looks like to a cop :bigsmile:

Once ya have stripes, ya never look back :wink:

I don’t like the security of a striped array though.

I keep all my downloads, and documents on the 120GB hd :wink:
Also good if ya feel like burning while watching movies from the HD, playing games/etc :slight_smile:

My next move -> 4x120GB Raid 0+1 woot!

2 times faster than single drive, reduced seek times for multiple file accesses and Data security :slight_smile:

Raid 1 allows to read/write different files from both the main and mirrored arrays similtaneously, so in effect reading 2 different files sequentially will result in 1/2 the seek delay.

Of course the seek delay is still the same, but if 2 files are accessed at the same time, then both striped arrays will seek to the different files simultaneously, read simultaneously, but the second file will already be in the raid cache when it is required, hence the second seek delay will be nil.
Average of 1/2 the seek delays :slight_smile:

wOOt!