New 128Gb 20nm NAND flash will drastically increase SSD sizes

vbimport

New 128Gb 20nm NAND flash will drastically increase SSD sizes.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/12/2SHOQM.jpg[/newsimage]The joint venture between Intel and Micron, IMTF, has produced a 128Gb die. This die would be small enough to fit on a finger tip and should enter mass production in the first half of 2012. That means devices leveraging the new chip would debut in early 2013 and offer a significant amount more storage than is currently possible.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/new-128gb-20nm-nand-flash-will-drastically-increase-ssd-sizes-55633/](http://www.myce.com/news/new-128gb-20nm-nand-flash-will-drastically-increase-ssd-sizes-55633/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Waiting for prices to come down, but definitely on my agenda, possibly for 2012.

OCZ already has a SSD called the “Octane” that boasts 1TB capacity. But I have yet to see them for sale.

I am waiting for the larger capacity SSDs to drop in price before I get one myself. Quite happy with the 1TB WD Black hard drive containing my OS at the moment

Pricepoint for serious consideration by pc/laptops: 1tb= $100

Also, this will spur massive demand in not the next gen tablets, but the gen after that… (if the price is right). There could be a 10-25 fold increase in capacity at similar price points which is exciting, and MUCH larger SDXC flash cards. I wish they’d phase out the micro slot and just keep working on the postage size. It’s unlikely they’ll be able to get 1tb into a micro form factor any time soon with reasonable reliability & speed. Tablets & smart phones should make the necessary adjustment.

Also expect SSD to be integrated into SMART HDTV displays as well… or at least have card slots & ports to utilize SSD. Also expect flattening prices to double with such luxuries (embedded computer/ip video) included…

Platter drives 1tb and up are almost as expensive as SSDs now, ( I am of course joking but the price of platter drive has gone up about 300% in the past 2 months LOL.

A SSD 2.5" (SATA 600) drive of 1tb is around $800 right now… we always hear about some whizbang new chip process that will drastically reduce manfacturing & qc costs (along with the requisite R&D premium attached), but hard drives have still ALWAYS been a better deal. IF a major producer like CHINA got hit with problems, then SSDs would really clean up the market and prices could go lower for both long term. Don’t worry about the hard drive makers… they’re already hedging and as of 2008 have made preliminary investments in holding some of the best SSD patents and ongoing research to be in the right spot at the right time when SSD makes the leap from a flash luxury to a must have for the desktop PC. BTW, today you can only get about 64gb SSD drive for $100… maybe 96gb on sale…

I’ve bought 4x Ssds of different manufacturers, at different times of different models.
1 was Doa.
1 broke down after 4 months, and machine had to be reinstalled.
2 of the same batch/model bought at the same time died within 2 days of eachother, and I discovered how bad windows 7 backup/restore is (useless over a network).
All units broke down without warning,literally working fine before shutdown, and then failing to be detected as drives at next boot.

The technology has inherent flaws.

It’ll be hybrids for me, from now on. SSDs are suitable for caching.

I have 9 SSDs
1 Intel G1
1 Crucial C300
The rest are OCZ, ranging from JMicron, Indilinx, and Sandforce
Not a single failure.

No idea how many HDDs i’ve had, and only a single failure which was an old Maxtor 120GB drive and that was a long time ago.

If you’ve been burned by an SSD or HDD, I can understand why you may not trust them, but I personally can’t wait until we get 2TB SSDs. :slight_smile:

Preliminary conclusion: SSDs don’t work upside down or on the Southern hemisphere?! :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2616129]Preliminary conclusion: SSDs don’t work upside down or on the Southern hemisphere?! :p[/QUOTE]

And drinking beer and or tea is also a challenge-eh.

[QUOTE=bigmike7;2616146]And drinking beer and or tea is also a challenge-eh.[/QUOTE]I don’t find either a challenge.
I can drink both quite easily. :stuck_out_tongue: