Networking through firewire possible?

I want to establish a network between 2 PCs one of which will serve as a firewall, while the other will have internet access through the first one.

Is this possible to do with through firewire and not use standard ethernet? If so do i just set the same gateway to have internet access for the 2nd PC, just like using ethernet? Which protocol should i use?

Just want to use the extra speed firewire ofers, for copying pasting files plus network gaming :wink:

I once succesfully established a network connection through firewire, using software called firenet (if I remember right). The reason why I went back to UTP-LAN, is because UTP was euhm… faster…
At first, I was also excited about the 400mbit firewire offers, but I noticed very little of this theoretical bandwidth of 50MB/sec. It was more like 5MB/sec @max. Yet the CPU-usage was at about 30%, much more than with UTP…

Maybe my setup wasn’t right or I didn’t use a good cable, but these are just my experiences :slight_smile:

Feel free to do some tests yourself and please let me know if they are succesfull :wink:

Originally posted by Wannez
I once succesfully established a network connection through firewire, using software called firenet (if I remember right).
Yes you did :slight_smile:
Checking it out right now, thanx.