Networked external hard drive

Is there a external harddrive that I can hook to my network via ethernet cable that would be available to use by all computers on my network? Would this type of a drive be able to burn DVDs and other media using Nero and other programs like that? Thanks for the help I have wanted to do something like that since I set up my network.

The keyword is ‘NAS’ (short for Network Attached Storage). Google and you’ll find lots.

Hi and Welcome!

Yes, there is, as already mentioned by olyteddy.

Would this type of a drive be able to burn DVDs and other media using Nero and other programs like that?
Of course, a harddrive is not able to burn any optical media :wink:
In addition, LAN is normally not fast enough to provide a sufficient data rate for writing DVD media at least, so the data has to be buffered locally.

Michael

Hi scmicromike, welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

A networked harddrive (using 100 Mbps Fast Ethernet) should be able to supply data fast enough for a 6x burn on DVD media or a 52x burn on CD media.

A networked harddrive using 1000 Mbps Gigabit Ethernet should in theory be fast enough for 20x burns on DVD media, if everything else is able to keep up. In practice it may or may not be able to keep up at that speed.

Even if a networked attached harddrive isn’t fast enough for the selected burn speed on DVD media, the burn will still succeed but with buffer under-run prevention kicking in a number of times. Depending on the DVD burner and its buffer under-run prevention technology, this may decrease the burn “quality” significantly or insignificantly.

Thanks for the info I never thought about the speed issues. I appreciate it.