Networked DVD players

vbimport

I find these networking DVD/video players intriguing. Anybody around here using one? Any suggestions on one to look at? What will they do and what will they NOT do?
I’d love to be able to connect my home network and my entertainment system in this way, and play movies off a HD.

I have no personal knowledge of them myself. But if I was looking for more information I would head over to the AVS Forums. In the past they have been an invaluable source of home theatre knowledge for me. In particular their HTPC (Home theatre PC) forum is very interesting. I’m sure a few searches will yield some useful information. Anyway, I hope that helps somewhat. :bigsmile:

Looking at the LiteOn 2010, but it doesn’t seem to be available anywhere. Not bad at $200.

I read a review on the KiSs DP500/508 some time ago (in a Dutch magazine) and they were very satisfied with the product. They found it to be one of the best networked players they ever tested.

The magazine was C’t, a highly notified Dutch/German tech mag.

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]I read a review on the KiSs DP500/508 some time ago (in a Dutch magazine) and they were very satisfied with the product. They found it to be one of the best networked players they ever tested.

The magazine was C’t, a highly notified Dutch/German tech mag. [/B]

Interesting, I read the rather skimpy manual on the 500/508. The 508 has a HD for storage, which is interesting, but it doesn’t say if you can access that HD from your PC. It appears to be just for storing files from discs or from your PC. A hefty price tag for the 508, considering it only ads the HD.
There appears to be only one distributor for the KISS hardware in the USA.

Got this from LiteOn USA:

Hi,

Sorry 2010 is not released in US market yet.
Our target release time will be end of March time frame. You can check www.pcclub.com or
www.dandh.com or find in retail store like Bestbuy, compusa.

Thanks for your interest.

Marketing Department
Lite-On (USA) Intl’ Inc.
URL: http://www.liteonamericas.com

I’m curious what have you found out so far? I have no clue about networked DVD players or any of the questions you asked so far. I wouldn’t mind hearing your findings :iagree:

There’s a few of them around, mostly from unknown brands. The inner workings seem to be something of a mystery. But mainly they all utilize a file server program that gets installed on your PC and they can read all the supported file types off your HD. One even has it’s own HD that allows you to store files, (but it’s not clear whether those files can be accessed from a PC).
The differences, if any, seem to be in the file types supported, but AVI and DIVX are typical, as are MPEG4 and audio/image files.
Some are wireless only, some CAT-5, and some offer either option. Models seem to be getting more plentiful this year.

I have the Liteon 2010 and it’s good, very good (for £85).

Why not go for a chipped XboX or for instance Philips Streamium (both Netgear and D-Link have similar products)?
//Danne

Yes, XBMC (Xbox Media Center) is an awesome media player. You can add a hard drive of your choice, play files off of samba shares, and I hear the latest version has support for DVD Menus aswell.

It should also upscale videos to the resolution you set. But I don’t believe it upconverts dvds though. Something to keep in mind. Plus you could use a softmod and only have to bite the cost of the xbox if you don’t already have one.

I already have a modded xbox, the liteon 2010 is much better.
Why would you want to upscale a DVD, it only has 480p information on it.
Any higher is just interpolation, which your screen will probs do a better upscale job.