Network computers over the internet

vbimport

What me and my friend want to do is to be able to connect to each other and share files. We dont want to dial each others computers because of long distance, slowness etc.

We both have cable internet and want to connect to one another. But we have been stumped on how to do so.

We would like it to be encrypted, so we tried waste, but after getting it set up with our firewalls off, it wouldnt connect to each others computers. We typed in the ip addresses in the network connection window and hit connect. We also have each others public keys imported and no luck.

Is there any other way to do this?

We tried to set up a VPN but that just let to could not connect messages. Any ideas?:confused:

i think Direct Connect might serve ur needs.

but would such a network be accessable by the RIAA or can you set up a private one?

I am pretty sure Waste or VPN are what you guys are looking for, but you seem to have a firewall or router problem.

Do one or both of you have an internal IP adress, or do you have the external IP directly on your computer?
If you have an internal IP, you have to set up NAT to forward calls on your external IP to your internal IP! :smiley:
I am unsure what ports Waste or VPN is using, but I guess you find out!

Solaris

actually we are both on muilti computer networks with routers etc. So what would i need to do, i am unsure about fowarding ips, etc.

direct connect cannot go passive connection to passive connection - and nat port forwarding is a biatch :frowning:

well i gave up on direct connect, and got Earth Station 5 running. Its kind of resource hungry, it has a really flashy gui.

Plus i still havent accomplished my goal of being able to securily share files bewteen my and my friends computer.

arent there secure plugins for aim that allow it? //guesses

How about this ?

Mr. B, as always, you da man. Setting it up right now, will post back results after my friend tries getting stuff off. Thanks a lot.:bow:

As you guys have routers… do a check if the routers have an onboard VPN server. Mine does (Draytek Vigor 2200E), works fine and is very easy to setup. And the best of all: you don’t need any additional software!

all it says on mine about VPN is “supports VPN tunneling via L2TP, PPTP, and IPspec pass-through”

Ive set up my encrypted ftp server that Belvedere referred me to and I am running the client and the server at the same time to see if i have it set up correctly. Its seems to work good. I have access to all my files via the web.

Problem solved I guess! :smiley:

Originally posted by kwkard
[B]all it says on mine about VPN is “supports VPN tunneling via L2TP, PPTP, and IPspec pass-through”

Ive set up my encrypted ftp server that Belvedere referred me to and I am running the client and the server at the same time to see if i have it set up correctly. Its seems to work good. I have access to all my files via the web. [/B]

IpSec is very very cool too , if you can set this up between your own systems , nobody will ever be able to do packet sniffing on your communication. You’d need some Windows 2000 or higher (dunno if linux distro’s support it).

Well my eftp server didnt work. My friend couldnt connect to me, or me to him. Only the computers on my local network could connect.

IpSec is very very cool too , if you can set this up between your own systems , nobody will ever be able to do packet sniffing on your communication. You’d need some Windows 2000 or higher (dunno if linux distro’s support it).

after googling for this it seems that red hat does support it. Unfortunatly, only i have redhat. We are both running XP Home, but i dont think it supports this, only Pro from what i could tell.

Any other ideas?

you would probably have to find ports that the router is allowing and change the ports in the ftp program to those ports that are allowed.

ok, after googling and reading up. I have reconfigured my router (Siemens Speedstream 2602 2-port) to have a virtual sever running to forward ftp data on port 21 from my external ip to my internal ip. We’ll see how that works.

Why isn’t AIM secure?
Anyhow, I like using Guildftp’d and never had a problem. I dunno how secure it is but you can set up a log in that requires a password. Newer versions might support encryption, I am unsure.

AFAIK, aim supports no encryption at all. So that means people can see what you are transferring, thus making it unsecure.

//still thinks there are secure plugins.