Network Cabling

Whats the difference between cat5 cabling and enhanced cat5 cabling, neither seem to work at 100mbits/sec on any length of cable :frowning: using unshielded connectors. How much of a difference do shielded connectors make and how much difference will using cat6 (designed for 1000mbits/sec) cabling make?

Enhanced Cat 5 is a new standard that specifies transmission performance that exceeds Cat 5. The specifications for the installed link models have been stable for some time. The major issues to be completed pertain to specifications and test methods for connecting hardware (component level specifications and test methods).

The specifications for Category 6 aim to deliver a 100 meter channel of twisted-pair cabling that provides a minimum ACR at 200 MHz that is approximately equal to the minimum ACR of a Cat 5 channel at 100 MHz.

See here

What is a Category 5e patch cable?

Specified and tested to 350MHZ using TIA/EIA 568-A standards. These cables have guaranteed ACR, NEXT, SRL, and PS Next.
Perfect in conjunction with 10 and 100 Base-T, and even 1000 Base-T networks.

What is a Category 6e patch cable?

Specified and tested to 500MHZ using TIA/EIS 568-A Category 6 Draft 5 Standards. The Cat 6E cable is completely characterized using power sum crosstalk. It introduces new electrical performance parameters which address the needs of full duplex operation over 4 pairs. These electrical characteristics include: PS NEXT, PS ACR, and PS ELFEXT.
It sets requirements for cable balance. Balance is the critical performance parameter which effects cable emissions. Cable balance, like impedance, is an indication of the quality and consistency of manufacture, which effects all other electrical parameters. This cable series also features reduced attenuation. Impedance is measured per the stringent swept frequency requirements of ISO/IEC 11801.
When the industry finalizes standards this will become the perfect cable medium for fast 1000BaseT applications. (At present the standards are not finalized and therefore there are some incompatibilities within products.)

See here or download the entire PowerPoint presentation here

Basically you can have about of 100metres of CAT 5/5e and about 250 metres of CAT 6/6e , but i could be wrong with those numbers.

Thanks,

The problem is that i have been using cables upwards in length of 20M of Enhanced cat 5 cable (which should be good for up to 100M), and not being able to get a reliable connection at 100Mb/sec (basically it just lights up on the network cards and router etc. as connected, but you have to manually switch it do to 10Mbits/sec to get it to a state where you can actually get any data down it).

So i was wondering if switching to cat6/6e cable and/or shielded connectors would solve the problem. Which it looks like it might :slight_smile:

Now all i have to do is find somewhere that sells it in smaller quantities than 305M rolls :rolleyes: