Netflix stream-only plan by 2010, CEO says

I just posted the article Netflix stream-only plan by 2010, CEO says.

Netflix is considering a movie subscription plan that entails only Internet streaming, without the mail order DVD service that made it famous, CEO Reed Hastings said.
Hastings told…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15571-Netflix-stream-only-plan-by-2010-CEO-says.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15571-Netflix-stream-only-plan-by-2010-CEO-says.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

A fair price would be probably 20% higher than the mail order system

These guys are in a brilliant position. As the streaming numbers go up they can slowly dwindle their stock, if streaming never goes mainstream they have the mail business.

I would say they shouldn’t have a premium on streaming. I would think the goal is to get everyone on streaming. No shipping, no employees stuffing movies into envelopes, no inventory, no dvd replacement costs. Every person that streams = $$$ for Netflix.

I agree that Netflix does have a good plan for their streaming box, but it falls short in many areas. After testing the Netflix streaming on Xbox 360 against my VUDU box, I can see a clear difference in picture quality. Also, Netflix has a long way to go with any HD titles, and I don’t know if there box can even handle really good quality.

Personally I want my movies in great quality, and instantly available. Netflix can’t deliver this yet.

I’m going to stick with my VUDU now and just use the Xbox for games.

Wont this clog the series of tubes on the Internets?

A stream only plan should be cheap for now (~$6.95mo)… at least until the selection of movies grows to compete with the offering via mail. Having the entire 100k library available anytime would be valuable indeed in the all-you-can-eat model and I could easily see paying around $40 monthly for something like that.

If Netflix adopts “a movie subscription plan that entails only Internet streaming,” then what happens to those (potential) customers who:
(1) Can only get dial-up? (Yes, they do exist.)
(2) Have a broadband connection from a company that is going to implement some kind of (unreasonable) bandwidth cap? (Yes, they do exist–and more are on the way.)

Streaming has 2 problems. (1) ISP caps will be instituted and if that fails a fee per GB will be instituted for the lack of cable subscribers. (2) Gee let me put this sub-par HD image on my new HD theater. The only way streaming will work is if it’s Blu-ray features and quality. But then see problem #1 as they are very large and take too long to download (in America). Go to Japan and it would take 15-20 minutes to DL a 40GB disc. When that happens with no caps it will take off. But then we come to problem #3 is that Hell would have frozen over and we won’t be around to enjoy it. The Internet is the Anti-Christ. IPv666. The end is near.

Netflix’ quality and title selection is too limited to be very interesting to me at the moment, but it will be interesting to see how this whole thing plays out

I wonder how long it will be before the FTC takes notice of all these ISPs implementing strict usage caps and then turning around and offering their own streaming service (with no cap, of course).

I think for some it will be just the ticket but for people like me I still prefer to have a disc I can simply put in my player over having to buy another dang gadget hehe:bigsmile:

Sounds like a way to cut overhead aren’t evnough people losing jobs. If the do they will lose me as a customer.

Sure, all companies are finding ways to cut overhead, no matter what the loss is to John Q. Public. Job or no job, people want some form of entertainment. Though “streaming” may have a novel feeling for a while, sooner or later it’s going to get old having hook up this, then that - wait - then here comes the movie! Lookie, some pixelization, grainy quality and the sound may rock the house, but so what? People want to see a movie, not hear it…
Just send me my disc, let me play it and then send it back…