Netflix Stops Selling DVD's

vbimport

Netflix is exiting the previously-viewed DVD market. In a blog post yesterday, the company said it would stop selling DVDs to its members as of November 30 to focus on DVD rentals and streaming video. “Our core business is delivering great movie rentals to you on DVD by mail and instantly to the computer and TV,” a Netflix representative says in the post. “So we’ve decided it makes sense for us to focus exclusively on that.”

http://www.crn.com/retail/212000325

You can many DVDs in the Walmart bins

I believe they are stopping the physical discs to be rented as well?

[QUOTE=Dr. Who;2151669]I believe they are stopping the physical discs to be rented as well?[/QUOTE]

If they do that they will go under quickly.

[QUOTE=Dr. Who;2151669]I believe they are stopping the physical discs to be rented as well?[/QUOTE]

I think that is unfounded rumor mill at work…

GUY’S
I think it would be better to get rid of discs
all together. Downloading to a ipod,or mp3 video
player would be a better way to go. You could not
only play them on your p.c car t.v.,but you would also
have less skip problems from damaged discs etc…
As to the macrovision,copy protection? It could be over
come.
ZAP.:bigsmile:

Many people do not play movies on their PC but rather put a DVD and see the movie on their livingroom TV.

[QUOTE=zap em;2151862]GUY’S
I think it would be better to get rid of discs
all together. Downloading to a ipod,or mp3 video
player would be a better way to go. You could not
only play them on your p.c car t.v.,but you would also
have less skip problems from damaged discs etc…
As to the macrovision,copy protection? It could be over
come.
ZAP.:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

How you going to download them when they are copyrighted and you get caught and pay them hundreds of thousands of dollar. Yeah that’s the way to go but not me. Unfortunately you forgot not everyone has Ipod or similiar or doesn’t just want it like me. Regardless media get scratched or worn out over time. Your ipod HDD will wear out from to much usage that replacement probably cost more then the DVD itself. DVD all the way. I watch DVD movies on my computer got 19 inch and 5.1 speaker perfect for my viewing pleasure.

COOLCOLORS
You make a good point,but you also have to
change technology with the times. Netflix I think
understands this. I also heard part of the reason is
they are for a price going to allow purchases of new
and old movies on tivo dvr’s. I used to love my LP’S,
for my record player.but cassettes replaced that. I also
used to like my old 8 track player,but cd’s replaced
that. Same with vhs tapes to dvd’s etc… You have to
remember technology changes,and soon DVD’S will
become old technology.
ZAP.:bigsmile::bigsmile:

[QUOTE=zap em;2152507]COOLCOLORS
You make a good point,but you also have to
change technology with the times. Netflix I think
understands this. I also heard part of the reason is
they are for a price going to allow purchases of new
and old movies on tivo dvr’s. I used to love my LP’S,
for my record player.but cassettes replaced that. I also
used to like my old 8 track player,but cd’s replaced
that. Same with vhs tapes to dvd’s etc… You have to
remember technology changes,and soon DVD’S will
become old technology.
ZAP.:bigsmile::bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

zap em

I agree that times and technology are changing and changing faster by the day.
Even though DVD’S may be Old Technology they will be around for quite a few more years and will be the choice of most for viewing there movies.

[QUOTE=bean55;2152570] … DVD’S …will be the choice of most for viewing there movies.[/QUOTE]
Only by the technologically illiterate, poor or rich & cheap - and that’s about 99% of the population :iagree:

Bluray smacks DVD around like a Cake Junky - so if you have the cash, and are in the habit of buying new release block busters on DVD, the premium for the better Bluray is definately worth it.

But Bluray & Downloads are competing with established DVD’s … which is quite frankly flooded with cheap catalogue titles.

And the average consumers doesn’t know what bluray is … and probably can’t operate a computer well enough to handle a DVD writer (nor the troubles associated with buying cheap $5/100 spindle media), nor even understand that there are websites that you CAN download movies legally, nor have an internet service plan with capacity or speed that will even allow them to download decent movie downloads regardless … so will probably resort to DVD’s anyway - because DVD’s are cheap, easy & available.

DEBRO
You may be right.I would however prefer the ipod
mp3 video music player more. Like I said before less
defects,scratches. You can play multiple movies in your.car
t…v. and even on your computer.
ZAP.:iagree:

ipods suck, They are DRM infested junk

SLAYERKING
Calm down . What seems to be your boggle?
Oh yeah! You don’t like ipods? Well like all files
it depends on what you down load. Now chill and
buy a ZUNE

[quote=zap em;2153077]SLAYERKING
Calm down . What seems to be your boggle?
Oh yeah! You don’t like ipods? Well like all files
it depends on what you down load. Now chill and
buy a ZUNE

[/quote]
Calm down??? I didn’t realise I was anything but calm, But if you want to be a slave to the big corporations go for your life

How did the thread morph to opinions about ipods (then don’t even play DVDs).

Only by the technologically illiterate, poor or rich & cheap - and that’s about 99% of the population :iagree:

That about sums it up :iagree:

Those wallyworld bins are going to get bigger :bigsmile:

CCROMEO/GUY’S
Listen I didn’t say dvd’s are not good for watching
movies. However DR.WHO’S blog was about netflix
getting out of selling dvd’s. The reason I brought up
ipods,zunes etc… because I Believe and soon that
this technology is going to make dvd’s,cd’s etc…
The tech of the past. For example apple you can legally
buy movies and download them to your ipod,and play
them on your T.V. as well not just one movie but many
files,music ,pictures etc… Now on a microsoft zune[and
here’s the grey area again] You can instantly share a movie,
music , pictures or what ever with a freind. No internet
required [now that will blow hollywood away]

[QUOTE=bean55;2152570]zap em

I agree that times and technology are changing and changing faster by the day.
Even though DVD’S may be Old Technology they will be around for quite a few more years and will be the choice of most for viewing there movies.[/QUOTE]

Don’t forget the US isn’t the only market for CD/DVD this is world wide. So what you think is old is new to another market and that is why CD/DVD can coexist and still beat out BlueRay. Did you notice lately how BRA sales are down cause the economy sown and that spells disaster for any new techology that isn’t intrenched or cost way to much. I am a technofile but I know when enough is enough and you keep a reality check on what is feasible. Sorry to say but Ipod and similiar isn’t going to make CD/DVD ancient anytime soon. Remember Ipod and similiar has moving parts HDD and those wear out over use and cost more to replace unlike a CD/DVD burner in computer that I use to watch my CD/DVD media. Also what your referring to downloading movie to Ipod directly isn’t possible you still need your computer to do that part of the work. Not everyone has large enough broadband to sit and download all day long. I guess I am ranting but that what I feel about CD/DVD they will still be around for a long time even after if BuRa comes of age.

Don’t forget the US isn’t the only market for CD/DVD this is world wide. So what you think is old is new to another market and that is why CD/DVD can coexist and still beat out BlueRay

Excellant point coolcolors

I think Bluray still has a very long road to go unless the studios decide to shoove it down our throats “so to speak”