Netflix is going to ban usage of proxies, VPN and DNS services that circumvent geo-blocks

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Netflix is going to ban usage of proxies, VPN and DNS services that circumvent geo-blocks[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2013/05/myce-netflix-670x418.jpg[/newsimage]

Online video streaming service Netflix will start to block usage of proxies to circumvent geo-blocks. The company has issued a press release stating it will start to block online services that allow users to pretend to be coming from a different location in the world.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/netflix-is-going-to-ban-usage-of-proxies-vpn-and-dns-services-that-circumvent-geo-blocks-78361/](http://www.myce.com/news/netflix-is-going-to-ban-usage-of-proxies-vpn-and-dns-services-that-circumvent-geo-blocks-78361/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Really that’s going to stop them? Just look at how the music industry complex is doing not very good the last time I seen them try to block torrents. Rather than make a money maker for them they love to have the “Foot in Mouth” disease like the dumb music industry is trying to do. All they do is send more people to torrent to get the very same movies. So what did they really stop??? They could use it to generate more revenue but I guess the I am smarter then you mantra still is going on here.

Good luck trying to do that in the EU. EU recently adopted regulations that point blank BAN geoblocking all together

funny how Netflix is going to attempt to do this but are quite ‘ok’ with customers sharing passwords with others to use a different service. this sounds like a bullshit attempt to please Hollywood to me! hopefully, it will either fail or more people leave this overpriced scam!!

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2766604]Really that’s going to stop them? Just look at how the music industry complex is doing not very good the last time I seen them try to block torrents. Rather than make a money maker for them they love to have the “Foot in Mouth” disease like the dumb music industry is trying to do. All they do is send more people to torrent to get the very same movies. So what did they really stop??? They could use it to generate more revenue but I guess the I am smarter then you mantra still is going on here.[/QUOTE]

I agree to that, but to expand and emphasize… It is the all overshadowing problem here is it not? Local country licensing/global citizens as far a media related content goes…

I will try to be direct:

1. DVD/Blu-Ray release worldwide, not one date in Asia, another in the US and a third in EU and even a fourth in Australia. The latter promotes piracy, think about this fictional scenario:
    I have waited 16 months for this movie to be released so I can see the movie again on my TV. I feel you are leading me to the tracker to download the first available version yourself, even though I may have pre-ordered it, I will not receive that until it is released here, but it is out!!! It really should come as no surprise that this is only human behavior, not criminal… Why am I treated differently, it is not fair!!! - Next up is fair pricing, but I will not cover it here apart from a short comment below.

2. Streaming - The corporate market is again even out of the picture left field versus otherwise law-abiding citizens, I would like to view this and you want to keep me out? I do not think myself unique to find even this unfair and so I will at least try… Do not work against human beings, work with them!

[B]Personally and this is not fictional[/B], I am all about music and I am way ahead of your empty shelves as I do download what is not on offer (soul reason: Your empty shelf). Then I buy if and when you do offer it or I find it at an auction when you fail. Still you call me a pirate?
According to your way of thinking I will have to wait until you choose to offer it or die without listening to the album again for all you care.
I am sorry, but my life is to short to even listen to your argument in this respect. I live for music, more so than IT, and if your shelf is full, you will have my money… Come on, I found obscure albums released on CD in South Korea not released online still? (what would it cost to make it available worldwide online??? Ordinary people do not schedule music searches like I do, still you complain about piracy?)

…If reasonably priced, and this is important… GREED only destroys loyalty and promotes piracy…

I am not for piracy any more even though I was scene once (that is really ever only about the challenge), and have legal licenses wherever possible, but when it is not, I am nothing but a human being - so please, do not lead me on.

Isn’t it Netflix that wants, this year, open their complete movie library to the rest of the world hence geo blocking becomes obsolete?!

and seriously Hollywood of late is producing mostly junk no matter which film genre - they make more money chasing pirates watching their trashy movies like Dallas Buyers Club et al. Lucky our judge here puts a stop to their speculative invoicing BS.

Quote:
“Some members use proxies or “unblockers” to access titles available outside their territory”, according to Netflix. “To address this, we
employ the same or similar measures other firms do”.

The problem is Netflix offers different movies say in Canada then in U.S.A, anyone from Canada can tell you how different the content is for sure everyone paying the same fee but getting different content hmm.

I agree to that, but to expand and emphasize… It is the all overshadowing problem here is it not? Local country licensing/global
citizens as far a media related content goes…

I will try to be direct:

1. DVD/Blu-Ray release worldwide, not one date in Asia, another in the
    US and a third in EU and even a fourth in Australia. The latter promotes
    piracy, think about this fictional scenario:
    I have waited 16 months for this movie to be released so I can see the
    movie again on my TV. I feel you are leading me to the tracker to
    download the first available version yourself, even though I may have
    pre-ordered it, I will not receive that until it is released here, but
    it is out!!! It really should come as no surprise that this is only
    human behavior, not criminal… Why am I treated differently, it is not
    fair!!! - Next up is fair pricing, but I will not cover it here apart
    from a short comment below.
  1. Streaming - The corporate market is again even out of the picture
    left field versus otherwise law-abiding citizens, I would like to view
    this and you want to keep me out? I do not think myself unique to find
    even this unfair and so I will at least try… Do not work against human
    beings, work with them!

Personally and this is not fictional, I am all about music and I am way ahead of your empty shelves as I do download what is not on offer
(soul reason: Your empty shelf). Then I buy if and when you do offer it
or I find it at an auction when you fail. Still you call me a pirate?
According to your way of thinking I will have to wait until you choose
to offer it or die without listening to the album again for all you
care.
I am sorry, but my life is to short to even listen to your argument in
this respect. I live for music, more so than IT, and if your shelf is
full, you will have my money… Come on, I found obscure albums released
on CD in South Korea not released online still? (what would it cost to
make it available worldwide online??? Ordinary people do not schedule
music searches like I do, still you complain about piracy?)

…If reasonably priced, and this is important… GREED only destroys loyalty and promotes piracy…

I am not for piracy any more even though I was scene once (that is really ever only about the challenge), and have legal licenses wherever possible, but when it is not, I am
nothing but a human being - so please, do not lead me on.
GREED! Without a doubt causes a lot of social issues in society specifically when the alternative is less quality or not available at all as it relates to content. The solution should be very simple make content available in every market in every part of the world and allow the people to decide if they want the content? at least run a pilot program instead of again going after your customers who might just want access to the same content as their neighboring country’s for example Canada as I mentioned in an earlier post. Â

[QUOTE=SexyTec14;2766714]GREED! Without a doubt causes a lot of social issues in society specifically when the alternative is less quality or not available at all as it relates to content. The solution should be very simple make content available in every market in every part of the world and allow the people to decide if they want the content? at least run a pilot program instead of again going after your customers who might just want access to the same content as their neighboring country’s for example Canada as I mentioned in an earlier post. [/QUOTE]

Borders are gone out here where we are global net citizens. Oh well, maybe not in its infancy, but the ‘all connected global society’ is still not grown up. What puzzles me is that it is now mostly the corporate actors that hampers the natural development.
We are one global society and so what you have access to, I would want access to. In that respect, there can only be one license - The net license, any other way of thinking it will only promote piracy as it goes against common principles of fairness.

[QUOTE=Xercus;2766754]Borders are gone out here where we are global net citizens. Oh well, maybe not in its infancy, but the ‘all connected global society’ is still not grown up. What puzzles me is that it is now mostly the corporate actors that hampers the natural development.
We are one global society and so what you have access to, I would want access to. In that respect, there can only be one license - The net license, any other way of thinking it will only promote piracy as it goes against common principles of fairness.[/QUOTE]
Comes down to “GREED” and “PROFIT motivations” pure and simple…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2766762]Comes down to “GREED” and “PROFIT motivations” pure and simple…[/QUOTE]

There it was, the key answer. Now we just have to combine them and spread the word and all is well :disagree:
It will not help as there is almost nothing that is as hard to fight as greed/profit motivations apart from fundamentalists. They both seem to be rooted in a short circuited brain :rolleyes:

I’m going to take a guess and say that Netflix probably doesn’t want to block and restrict their customers. Chances are, Hollywood is twisting Netflix’s arm and forcing them to enact these anti-anti-blocking measures. To make things worse, Netflix is not going to stop restricting what people in specific countries get to see… because Hollywood won’t let them.

The way around this is stop buying Hollywood’s crap. If you don’t give them money, they can’t lobby for this stupid $hit.

[QUOTE=MaryHax3;2767052]jin pachiiikazama[/QUOTE]

Vær vennlig og skriv på Engelsk i forumet. Det blir rett og slett for håpløst å skulle desiffrere alle verdens språk. :confused:

As you can see, it gets hard if we all write in our own language in an international forum such as this which is why we all use whatever good or bad English skills we have.
After all, we are here to discuss, educate and be educated on various subjects of interest. In such a context it is important to understand and be understood for the better for all. :flower: