Netflix exec: Where we launch, Bittorrent traffic drops as Netflix grows

vbimport

I just posted the article Netflix exec: Where we launch, Bittorrent traffic drops as Netflix grows.

In an interview the CEO of Netflix states that whenever they launch in a new territory, the Bittorrent traffic drops as the Netflix traffic grows.

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/netflix-exec-where-we-launch-bittorrent-traffic-drops-as-netflix-grows-67010/](http://www.myce.com/news/netflix-exec-where-we-launch-bittorrent-traffic-drops-as-netflix-grows-67010/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Gee - I’m so happy that Netflix can hack into ISPs and Bittorrent streams to get accurate measurements to validate these executive statements.

I wonder when they’ll use phone-taps to disclose how many people say bad things about Netflix, their customer service OR their executives?

Neighbors say that Netflix has gotten rid of FAVORITES groups among their subscribers, and no longer host many comments on their Blog, either, thus preventing shareable user feedback. Except for those darned class-action lawsuits… “we’re working on that, don’t worry-!”

I once heard something about capitalism - something like “provide a better product at a better price, and no one wastes time or money on inferior versions.”

How about launching here in New Zealand??

[B]If[/B] what Netflix says is true, it validates what I have believed for a long time. That is make massive amounts of content easily available for a low price and the customers will beat down your door.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2686662]Gee - I’m so happy that Netflix can hack into ISPs and Bittorrent streams to get accurate measurements to validate these executive statements.

I wonder when they’ll use phone-taps to disclose how many people say bad things about Netflix, their customer service OR their executives?

Neighbors say that Netflix has gotten rid of FAVORITES groups among their subscribers, and no longer host many comments on their Blog, either, thus preventing shareable user feedback. Except for those darned class-action lawsuits… “we’re working on that, don’t worry-!”

I once heard something about capitalism - something like “provide a better product at a better price, and no one wastes time or money on inferior versions.”[/QUOTE]And from business circles … “a dollar spent on marketing is better than a dollar spent on product improvement”.

Remember vhs vs beta, and basically all Apple products vs everything else.
You know that advertising is King and contorts capitalist ideals, or more appropriately, pi$$es over all good values that capitalism purports.

Yes. I still hold Criterion DVDs as ‘too expensive’ but we have shelves full of them because they ARE the best quality version of any film they’ve reproduced after other DVD makers put out theirs.

One thing I enjoy about TV channels like Turner Movie Classics is that they attempt to broadcast the best-available-copy. They don’t always succeed, but often they do.

In the past few years, Mill Creek or Platinum or some of these public-domain ‘sweeper-upper’ companies have been putting out cheapo DVDs of “50 Classic Horrors” or “100 Classics” and any number in between.

Those companies seem to make a Best Quality choice as well, at least among the public-domain offerings. They have an excellent print of THE WASP WOMAN, for example… now, everyone can clearly see how lame the Wasp costume is, and why the actress waited until the end of the film to be caught in it THEN leaped to her death. Wise choice!

IDK about the honesty accuracy of Netflix’s claims, but I’ve often felt legal alternatives DO prevent users from being forced into either illegal methods, or not being able to watch/play/listen to content at all. IMO, all netflix needs to become the ultimate streaming services is A) get rid of the DRM, B) allow users to stream for free with advertisements (much like Hulu), and of course, C) become available in as many places as possible.

Anyway, regardless of what any “stats” say (or don’t say) I strongly believe that decent legal alternatives do have the power to greatly reduce piracy.

TSJ, exactly right. These people can sell me products but only at prices I’m willing to pay. I tried the P2P and Torrents for a while for video-downloads and was disappointed in

(1) the varying speeds, often Slow Slower & Slowest, which made snail-mailing disks the quicker and more certain alternative;

(2) the wide variety of quality used in video-file creations; and

(3) the lack of commitment that some ‘hosts/servers’ showed that would start transmissions and then cut them off, never to resume them. They all have various reasons for doing so, too - as is their ‘right’. But it was disappointing to me and every other end user to fail to get complete files.

But all of these made the P2P-Torrent World distasteful to me as a consistent source of entertainment.

Mostly, the lack of owning the Real Disk also meant I had to sacrifice some features and I couldn’t have entertainment on My Schedule or as often as I wanted it. “Oh, we saw a great film last week - come over and watch it with me again!” And force me to re-stream it. Uh. No.

Just give me a chance to buy the best product and, if it’s the right price, I will.