Netflix dominates net streaming in North America

vbimport

I just posted the article Netflix dominates net streaming in North America.

[quote][/quote]

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/netflix-dominates-net-streaming-in-north-america-67137/](http://www.myce.com/news/netflix-dominates-net-streaming-in-north-america-67137/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Netflix is spending more money on what little content they have retained than ever. Spending more than they make, in fact, off the same content. Add massive costs for global expansion with very little return. Its not a sustainable business model, and as soon as the banks figure that out, Netflix is in trouble. Can’t keep borrowing money forever.

[QUOTE=CDan;2687306]Netflix is spending more money on what little content they have retained than ever. Spending more than they make, in fact, off the same content. Add massive costs for global expansion with very little return. Its not a sustainable business model, and as soon as the banks figure that out, Netflix is in trouble. Can’t keep borrowing money forever.[/QUOTE]

Sounds more like a person whom doesn’t like Netflix or had bad experiences with Netflix is more like it. So where is devil in the details your making such claims? Global how did you get a Canada expansion become global? Your banking and Netflix are two different model and your trying to tie to separate entities that does different business model as one just goes to show lack of any substance to show for it. Really borrowing money forever where are you getting your Facts from? Show some to back it up would ya…rather then rant meaningless replies…

Well, living on the internet it is fairly easy to pull up quarterly profit and loss figures such as these: http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=nflx

As to them expanding to other markets, the internet has this to say: http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/23/with-international-user-base-now-at-6m-netflix-puts-a-hold-on-global-expansion-in-first-half-of-2013-cuts-losses/

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2687307]Sounds more like a person whom doesn’t like Netflix or had bad experiences with Netflix is more like it. So where is devil in the details your making such claims? Global how did you get a Canada expansion become global? Your banking and Netflix are two different model and your trying to tie to separate entities that does different business model as one just goes to show lack of any substance to show for it. Really borrowing money forever where are you getting your Facts from? Show some to back it up would ya…rather then rant meaningless replies…[/QUOTE]

I remember seeing some comments about unsustainable from a couple of sites (ie Yahoo) but then again they admitted they they were just speculating based on projections over a few months and once again the credibility of the sources is questionable at best. My guess is that netflix will have to make some changes, but as long as the selection of the instant watch content improves, i don’t mind paying a few $ more per month. I think some people just expect to be able to see all of the latest blockbuster titles and tv series and then get upset when they can’t find everything they want. IMHO the selection they have right now is just fine for $8 a month. My wife and I can always find something to watch. I certainly couldn’t say that with a cable bill that ran into the triple digits.

According to our Netflix Neighbors, they haven’t been replacing their DVD stock for several years now - if all copies were broken, stolen or lost, well, that’s it. And then, so many DVDs are out-of-print anyway - unavailable to sale to the Netflix-types. Ah yes, the big advantage to streaming! Or buying the disk.

The bigger issue, I see, is that “consumes one-third of Internet bandwidth on any given evening”, and this is because ISPs have stingily refused to deliver greater bandwidths.

And it’s because NetFlix has been the only streaming-game-in-town - nationally, at least. Hopefully, Amazon and everyone else can join in. But that low availability of large bandwidth remains one of the two biggest detriments to streaming.

DRM gets the other vote.

Well, sure… right behind the free stuff like bit-torrent and cross-platform streaming apps +websites like XBMC and related plugins…

[QUOTE=Jesterrace;2687318]I remember seeing some comments about unsustainable from a couple of sites (ie Yahoo) but then again they admitted they they were just speculating based on projections over a few months and once again the credibility of the sources is questionable at best. My guess is that netflix will have to make some changes, but as long as the selection of the instant watch content improves, i don’t mind paying a few $ more per month. I think some people just expect to be able to see all of the latest blockbuster titles and tv series and then get upset when they can’t find everything they want. IMHO the selection they have right now is just fine for $8 a month. My wife and I can always find something to watch. I certainly couldn’t say that with a cable bill that ran into the triple digits.[/QUOTE]

So true…I would stream but I like my DVD/BD first. That gives the time/place and where I like to watch and not always see if I have a wifi connection to watch. That is biggest advantage dvd/bd has over stream you can take it where ever and watch whenever and never have to worry about your wifi connection breaking down or not having a wifi. Yeah, those ISP/cable bills can be a bank breaker…

Let’s not forget to mention that Netflix uses DRM technology. Therefore, users won’t be able to access Netflix content unless they are using platforms that Netflix wants us to use. I’ve tried to use it with Ubuntu, but its not really possible unless you use Wine + the Windows versions of Silverlight and Firefox. However, you might not get very good performance this way, depending on your hardware configuration.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2687475]Let’s not forget to mention that Netflix uses DRM technology. Therefore, users won’t be able to access Netflix content unless they are using platforms that Netflix wants us to use. I’ve tried to use it with Ubuntu, but its not really possible unless you use Wine + the Windows versions of Silverlight and Firefox. However, you might not get very good performance this way, depending on your hardware configuration.[/QUOTE]
That’s true and Silverlight sucks. NetFlix is planning on switching to HTML5 at some point: http://www.webmonkey.com/2013/04/netflix-plans-to-ditch-silverlight-for-html5/